Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What a great car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are still a lot of people who are patiently waiting for their cars and are very frustrated and some considering cancelling, I was in the same position (waiting 1223 days). I can tell you that when you eventually get your car all those emotions evaporate, the car is magical.

I wasn't actual sure that I would like the model 3, I have owned a model S for 5 years (took delivery July 7th 2014) and I didn't think the model 3 could be better, but it mostly definitely is!

I have a blue P3D, white interior with FSD and its just amazing. The ride is smoother and quieter on 20 inch wheels than my model S with air suspension and 19" cyclone wheels and that just shows how much progress they have made in 5 years. It's probably even quieter and smoother on 18" aeros, but if you have a P3D with 20" wheels you have nothing to worry about.

Best advice I can give to those who are frustrated and on the verge of giving up or cancelling is to stop reading the forums for a while and take your mind off it, time will pass and your car will be ready.

but if you have a P3D with 20" wheels you have nothing to worry about.
apart from potholes!

Congratulations James, good to hear you love it!

Best advice I can give to those who are frustrated and on the verge of giving up or cancelling is to stop reading the forums for a while and take your mind off it, time will pass and your car will be ready.
I think that's excellent advice and I may well do that and just pop back occasionally to update the spreadsheet.

I know there are still a lot of people who are patiently waiting for their cars and are very frustrated and some considering cancelling, I was in the same position (waiting 1223 days). I can tell you that when you eventually get your car all those emotions evaporate, the car is magical.

I wasn't actual sure that I would like the model 3, I have owned a model S for 5 years (took delivery July 7th 2014) and I didn't think the model 3 could be better, but it mostly definitely is!

I have a blue P3D, white interior with FSD and its just amazing. The ride is smoother and quieter on 20 inch wheels than my model S with air suspension and 19" cyclone wheels and that just shows how much progress they have made in 5 years. It's probably even quieter and smoother on 18" aeros, but if you have a P3D with 20" wheels you have nothing to worry about.

how is your experience with FSD going?

Reactions: Durzel
how is your experience with FSD going?

Right now there is practically no difference between FSD and standard autopilot. Navigate on autopilot is good but not grounded breaking yet. Summon right now is a gimmick in the current version.

Once they start using the much larger and more complex neural networks that are in development FSD will start to separate from autopilot features. It’s debatable whether or not that will be in the soon to be released v10 software. IMHO it’s more likely to be end of year.

Thanks james_power. Could you please give more feedback on FSD? (I understand you may have not played with it much yet!)

I have ordered FSD but I am thinking of cancelling. I have a tight garage and the basic summon is a must if it works... I will have to park my car in the garage due to my charger location. Does it work via Bluetooth?

I have a lot of double carriages ways with roundabout on my commute and a very small portion of motorway with roadworks (M23 Gatwick).
NOA seems to be limited to motorways only. If you could report more on your experience with it please?

Many thanks
(Ordered blue/black SR+ 18” FSD, delivery e-mail for early September)

Summon and NOA are my main reasons for sticking with FSD...
My garage and gate were tight for my BMW 4 series, so a 2" wider Model 3 is going to be worse, so I'm hoping summon will make up for the lack of a 360 view.
Perhaps I need PPF to reduce the chance of scratches...

Reactions: RjbT3
Thanks james_power. Could you please give more feedback on FSD? (I understand you may have not played with it much yet!)

I have ordered FSD but I am thinking of cancelling. I have a tight garage and the basic summon is a must if it works... I will have to park my car in the garage due to my charger location. Does it work via Bluetooth?

I have a lot of double carriages ways with roundabout on my commute and a very small portion of motorway with roadworks (M23 Gatwick).
NOA seems to be limited to motorways only. If you could report more on your experience with it please?

Many thanks
(Ordered blue/black SR+ 18” FSD, delivery e-mail for early September)

I have tested and used summon and it works fine, although I have my.minimum distance for summon set quite high so I have not tested against tight spaces yet (was a bit nervous). It requires you to be in Bluetooth range and in the version I have (2019.28.2) it sometimes refuses to operate. I’m not sure if that’s because of Bluetooth range or if its detecting a phantom obstacle but after a few tries it seems to work.

I have used NOA a few times down the A3 and it seems to disengage In certain areas that are more urban and re-engage afterwards (but it seems to do the engagement/disengagement automatically) Technically the A3 isn’t a motorway so that might explain it. I haven’t used it much on actual motorways yet. I have not attempted a round about with NOA yet, although there is one further down the A3.

Summon and NOA are my main reasons for sticking with FSD...
My garage and gate were tight for my BMW 4 series, so a 2" wider Model 3 is going to be worse, so I'm hoping summon will make up for the lack of a 360 view.
Perhaps I need PPF to reduce the chance of scratches...

I am booked in for full coverage PPF (Llumar) but mainly for road paint chipping and ease of washing car.

Summon can be configured with these extremes

IMG_2668.jpeg IMG_2667.jpeg

I popped into the Canary Wharf store today and they have a midnight Silver performance M3 in there. LHD but really great to see one in the flesh after just watching YouTube videos for the past 6 months. The midnight silver looks great and I love the door handles. The car appears bigger than I remember. Would certainly recommend a visit somewhere to capture the buzz again. Roll on Wednesday.

I think FSD should be regarded as an investment at the moment. I bought it now but quite possibly it will triple in price in a couple of years. I'll hate not to be able to enjoy the real full self driving in a couple of years due to the fact that it is going to be too expensive. The problem is if you don't buy now, when the price is more or less acceptable, in a year or two is definitely not going to be easy to buy. imho

I know there are still a lot of people who are patiently waiting for their cars and are very frustrated [...] I can tell you that when you eventually get your car all those emotions evaporate

I'd like to strongly agree with the OP here. I've ordered 6 Teslas over the past decade, and this was true every time. The wait for the car - with no idea when it would show up until, suddenly, it did - was the worst part every time.

But no regrets on any of the cars! They have all been wonderful.

I would be very surprised if we could but... Is FSD available for a trial or to cancel it within a time frame after delivery?
Would be annoying and time consuming for both parties to return the car after 7 days and get a new one just to get rid of FSD...
I don’t think you will be able to cancel it after purchase.

In the past Tesla have offered existing owners trials of Autopilot, so now Autopilot is standard it would be logical for them to offer FSD trials, to give people a taste of what they’re missing.

I don’t think you will be able to cancel it after purchase.

In the past Tesla have offered existing owners trials of Autopilot, so now Autopilot is standard it would be logical for them to offer FSD trials, to give people a taste of what they’re missing.

But you’re really not missing much at all, there Is not really any appreciable difference right now so offering a trial would be pointless. When they start to make use of the FSD hardware (system is currently only using 4-5% of the available compute power of the FSD chip) things will start to change.