Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the INTERIOR now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After yesterday's call, I'm really excited to be getting my car a year earlier than I expected, but one thing stuck out to me.

Elon said that the car design was almost finalized. That leaves me wondering how close the interior we've seen is to the production version.

In some of the test drive videos, the driver commented that the interior was pretty much what we'd see in production -- but after seeing an early photo of the X interior (posted somewhere on a tesla forum), and seeing the production X interior, I had some hope that they would integrate the screen in a more appealing way at the very least.

Personally, the lack of cluster doesn't both me as Elon has said he has a plan for this, but to me the interior looked a little unfinished overall. Anyone else share my concern?

We don't know if the interior was actually further along than they showed in the prototype. They could have held back on that part, keeping their "cards close to the chest." Given all this Part 2 hype, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they did.

Considering a bunch of things from the last 5 weeks....

the talk at the reveal that the interior we were seeing was unfinished...considering what we know now, maybe they already HAVE a finished interior.

the refreshed Model S has the new "triple camera" and audible pedestrian warning. Is this AutoPilot 1.5 or 2.0 Hardware? (If it is a leap forward, I imagine any software updates won't come until Model 3 Reveal 2)

the production ramp, the deadline for suppliers to be ready to go by July 1, 2017 and Elon saying the Model 3 will be finalized in 3-6 weeks...

There are Beta prototypes hiding somewhere. They will be seen soon.

I remember how excited we all were 5 weeks ago when we saw drive-able prototypes, and "how far along" Tesla was, and they'd definitely be on time in 2017.

Well....

I think the Betas will have some burn-in time. Newer Model S's will get APv1.5/2.0 software push in the fall. Reveal 2.0 will March/April timeframe next year.

Model 3's will come off the line for Tesla/Space X employee Live Beta testing in SoCal in August/September 2017. West Coast current owners will see a trickle in late 2017.

All of that extra space Tesla just leased in SoCal near Fremont? Storage. Maybe even a final QA checkpoint before shipping.

In December 2017, Tesla will scale back deliveries and build up inventory in the storage/holding areas. Delivery of vehicle 199,999 in the US will come in the final week of 2017.

And in the 1st week of 2018??? The floodgates open. If Elon's math of ~9,615 cars/week comes true, they will get cars out quickly.

Prior to the reveal, there were ~115,000 ore-orders worldwide. It's not ridiculous to think every Day 1/Pre-reveal pre-order, owner and non-owner, gets delivered in Q1 2018, or Q2 at the earliest. Meaning we'll all get our tax credit.

Sorry for the novella....but it's exciting, and if you'll excuse me, I have to go crunch some numbers and see if I'm saving money at a fast enough rate, or if I need to rethink my own timeline.

After yesterday's call, I'm really excited to be getting my car a year earlier than I expected, but one thing stuck out to me.

Elon said that the car design was almost finalized. That leaves me wondering how close the interior we've seen is to the production version.

In some of the test drive videos, the driver commented that the interior was pretty much what we'd see in production -- but after seeing an early photo of the X interior (posted somewhere on a tesla forum), and seeing the production X interior, I had some hope that they would integrate the screen in a more appealing way at the very least.

Personally, the lack of cluster doesn't both me as Elon has said he has a plan for this, but to me the interior looked a little unfinished overall. Anyone else share my concern?

Yes, I do. I am not crazy about the interior. I would prefer the screen to be part of the dash and would like to see an instrument cluster as well. I will withhold judgment until we see what the final version is of course.

Maybe someone will come up with an app so you can set your phone behind the steering wheel that can act as a custom instrument cluster, lol.

Reactions: Chopr147
All of that extra space Tesla just leased in SoCal near Fremont? Storage. Maybe even a final QA checkpoint before shipping.

That was my first thought when I heard the news about all that warehouse space. Consignment sub-assemblies make more sense to me logically given supply chain management and capital concerns, but I could see it rapidly changing over to actual car stock as well. Sort of hard to say at this point, but I'm guessing a lot of that decision will end up in the hands of how they want to structure their capital outlays and when it would make sense from an accounting standpoint.

As far as the interior goes, I suspect we'll see an interface with a single screen mounted in the middle. Possibly one that pulls out or pivots so it can be angled, but not as abruptly out of place as the 1st reveal's was. I suspect the whole interface will be a minimalist design with few or no analog controls/knobs to keep cost down. I'd expect polish, but minimalist polish. They'll do something with that space behind the steering wheel, but it may be as simple as a pared down version of the Model S. A speedometer and simple charge percentage/indicator perhaps.

Atlanta to DC is twice the distance of say LA to Livermore, Mr. West Coast Geography Expert.

right, at least I was in the same STATE.

I don't think I would be off by such a wide margin if the locations were in different states.

Civility and the ability to hold back from making sweeping accusations about the educational system of an entire region of the country must not be a west coast strength.

;)

However, I learned much from the 1990's East Coast-West Coast Rap Feuds....and I am willing to overlook this transgression as a lighthearted misunderstanding. No need to escalate any "beefs". We're all here for our (future) Teslas.......

Reactions: ZachShahan
right, at least I was in the same STATE.

Technically, yes, but anyone from California will tell that Northern California and Southern California are frequently thought of as being two different states.

"Where are you from?"
"Northern Cal, you?"
"Oh, Southern Cal."

</end_of_conversation!>

But anyways.... Elon alluded to something else being done to the area in front of the driver. I think he said something to the effect of we won't miss there not being an actual driver's console, but we need to wait for the reveal part two for more information.

So it'll be something. Probably not any kind of console like the Model S has, though. HUD? Hologram? No clue, but something that's not a console.

Technically, yes, but anyone from California will tell that Northern California and Southern California are frequently thought of as being two different states.

"Where are you from?"
"Northern Cal, you?"
"Oh, Southern Cal."

</end_of_conversation!>

But anyways.... Elon alluded to something else being done to the area in front of the driver. I think he said something to the effect of we won't miss there not being an actual driver's console, but we need to wait for the reveal part two for more information.

So it'll be something. Probably not any kind of console like the Model S has, though. HUD? Hologram? No clue, but something that's not a console.

that part is killing me.

If the Model 3 will be "finalized" in 3-6 weeks, they already know what they're doing with that area of the interior.....

He runs a tight ship, though. Almost impossible to to get any leaks out of them until the very last moment.

Well, I'm anxious to see what the spaceship-like steering controls (as tweeted by Elon) will look like. I really like the minimalist look of the car, both outside and inside (I also happen to like Scandinavian furniture :)). Beyond aesthetics, this design also simplifies manufacturing and reduces costs. Like it not, technology is moving away from using discrete buttons to select options/functions and gauges to monitor conditions/statuses to using touch-screens with menus and virtual "buttons" and "gauges". It's already happened with smartphones vs. dumb phones and to a lesser degree on many cars available today. The Model 3 is just taking this evolution to the next level, much like it is doing with its unembellished nose.