Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a lot of norwegians are disappointed by the lack of tow hitch. Towing trailers is important to a lot of norwegians. Many don't need tons of range for camping, but most people use small trailers to dump gardening trash etc...

If there is no such possibility, you still need a second IC car, or rent one to do that.

I also believe being the first EV with that possibility in the lower price range would be a huge sales argument compared to the other EVs being sold I Norway.

Any idea if/why the tow hitch was ditched?
What about a tow hitch?

Elon only mentioned 3 facts about the Model 3 the entire night. Oh...wait....4. There was a mention of safety.

I do understand what you're saying, but aren't 3rd party certified hitches allowed at all in Norway?

Towing hitches here have a compliance plate (since 1988 - according to our auto club website) stating their trailer weight capacity and a trailer ball weight capacity. So long as Tesla publishes the maximum towing capacity for the vehicle (isn't that mandatory - need to research more) it appears a 3rd party can manufacture legal towing hitches to suit their cars without the car manufacturer being involved. I'm hoping a similar set of rules would apply on your side of the planet too...
3rd party hitches are allowed in Norway. But in order to get it approved in the vehicle's registration papers, the gov require documentation that the vehicle can handle it (frame mounts, brakes, start-stops etc...). The hard part is that Tesla probably wont release any documentation for max tow, or even recommended no towing at all (atleast they haven't for model s). There was a Danish project attempting to approve towing for Model S but I believe they failed because of that.

If Tesla doesn't approve, then proving that the vehicle can handle it on Teslas behalf becomes quite extensive/expensive.

3rd party hitches are allowed in Norway. But in order to get it approved in the vehicle's registration papers, the gov require documentation that the vehicle can handle it (frame mounts, brakes, start-stops etc...). The hard part is that Tesla probably wont release any documentation for max tow, or even recommended no towing at all (atleast they haven't for model s). There was a Danish project attempting to approve towing for Model S but I believe they failed because of that.

If Tesla doesn't approve, then proving that the vehicle can handle it on Teslas behalf becomes quite extensive/expensive.

What are the actual consequences for having an unapproved hitch there? If it's just "you won't pass inspection", you could always just remove and reattach the ball for inspections.

I don't know what it's like where you are. I have a bumper-mounted hitch with a ball. I simply remove the ball from the hitch, and it passes inspection. Every time.
That's less than a Class I hitch around here, with very limited towing capacity, maybe 500-1000 lbs. which might be totally fine for a lot of people. But if you're going for Class II to III to tow say 2000-5000 lbs. it would have to be welded to the frame. A Class IV good for up to 10,000 lbs. is only found on heavy duty pickups. This goes back to my post about getting the car that meets your needs. If you need to tow a 5000 lbs. boat, maybe a Model 3 isn't for you (but maybe it will be if/when we get an official tow package!). My Model X is rated for 5000 lbs., and boy does it pull better than my previous car - a Chrysler Aspen with a 5.7L Hemi V8 with a similar rating. I have to remind myself there's a trailer back there, so need twice the room for a lane change.

That's less than a Class I hitch around here, with very limited towing capacity, maybe 500-1000 lbs.

Oh, it can tow much more just fine, believe me. Even once jackknifed the trailer bad enough to rip a gash halfway across the trailer's tongue**, and all it did to the truck was bend the hookup downward a bit; compared to the force of jackknifing, normal towing loads are nothing. But it won't pass inspection with the ball in place.

The question is, do you want something that can tow, or something that is allowed to tow?

** That was a fun fix ;) Had to cut off the head, use 3 meter-long poles to get the rusted-on bolts off so I could replace the damaged profile steel that they were connected to, get a replacement piece of profile and a smaller piece of profile to join the pieces, bore for the new bolt holes, do about a dozen MIG welds with a 1960s welder on a power supply that threw breakers 70% of the time from the startup surge, and then reseal it in zinc paint. Stronger than it ever was before, but it sure taught me a lesson about being more careful with the trailer ;) The problem is you can't see it behind the truck, it's low and the tailgate is high...

Oh, it can tow much more just fine, believe me. Even once jackknifed the trailer bad enough to rip a gash halfway across the trailer's tongue**, and all it did to the truck was bend the hookup downward a bit; compared to the force of jackknifing, normal towing loads are nothing. But it won't pass inspection with the ball in place.

The question is, do you want something that can tow, or something that is allowed to tow?

** That was a fun fix ;) Had to cut off the head, use 3 meter-long poles to get the rusted-on bolts off so I could replace the damaged profile steel that they were connected to, get a replacement piece of profile and a smaller piece of profile to join the pieces, bore for the new bolt holes, do about a dozen MIG welds with a 1960s welder on a power supply that threw breakers 70% of the time from the startup surge, and then reseal it in zinc paint. Stronger than it ever was before, but it sure taught me a lesson about being more careful with the trailer ;) The problem is you can't see it behind the truck, it's low and the tailgate is high...
Lol. Sounds like a pretty strong steel bumper. I wouldn't trust a 1000 lbs. load not to pull a ball out of most fiberglass "bumpers" nowadays.

Lol. Sounds like a pretty strong steel bumper. I wouldn't trust a 1000 lbs. load not to pull a ball out of most fiberglass "bumpers" nowadays.

'93 Ranger - basically a big chunk of steel on wheels ;) Terrible mileage, little passenger protection, peeling paint, stereo fell out years ago, fan only works at one speed.... But it knows how to do just one thing, and that is "work" ;)

'93 Ranger - basically a big chunk of steel on wheels ;) Terrible mileage, little passenger protection, peeling paint, stereo fell out years ago, fan only works at one speed.... But it knows how to do just one thing, and that is "work" ;)
Lucky. I drove an early 90's Ranger for a while. Rear axle snapped clean out of the gearbox while I was driving down a straight road.

Lucky. I drove an early 90's Ranger for a while. Rear axle snapped clean out of the gearbox while I was driving down a straight road.

Ouch! Do you know when in the early 90s? The '93 was a transitional year between the first and second generation. Which is kind of annoying, as it shares some parts with the first gen and some with the second :Þ

It's not low maintenance, though, I'll tell you that. It'll do whatever you tell it - for example, drive across lava fields in the highlands, which is some of the worst abuse you can throw at a vehicle - and get you back home - but then you'll randomly discover rattles and clanks over the course of the next year that turn out to be from things you've warped or bent or whatnot. And actually, now that you mention the axle I have had axle problems marked up a number of times in annual inspections. There's always a list :Þ

I recall Elon tweeting last year sometime saying the 3 will have towing capability. I realized towing isn't shown in the published specs on Tesla's website, but I suspect it will be in the near future.
I suspect that the tow hitch will become available when the AWD version comes along.
That may be turn out to be the case.

For now, if you are a 3 reservation holder who needs towing, contact Tesla directly and ask about it. Remind them about Elon's statement last year. Give the company feedback so they appreciate the importance of that feature. Complaining on TMC is unlikely to be as effective. Unless you consider it therapy. ;)

Ouch! Do you know when in the early 90s? The '93 was a transitional year between the first and second generation. Which is kind of annoying, as it shares some parts with the first gen and some with the second :Þ

It's not low maintenance, though, I'll tell you that. It'll do whatever you tell it - for example, drive across lava fields in the highlands, which is some of the worst abuse you can throw at a vehicle - and get you back home - but then you'll randomly discover rattles and clanks over the course of the next year that turn out to be from things you've warped or bent or whatnot. And actually, now that you mention the axle I have had axle problems marked up a number of times in annual inspections. There's always a list :Þ
No, I don't know the exact year. It was a work vehicle that I only drove for a few months.

@4:28
2017-09-25 06_55_56-Tesla Model 3 News Playlist - Episode 1 - YouTube.png

• Informative
Reactions: GregRF and KarenRei
If that were true they would have skipped the car and built a pickup.
If you think about the world and not only US then you would know that pick up isn’t the most popular car typ, why else would pick up trucks only have two of top ten selling cars in the world? The first half of 2016 Volkswagen Golf sold more then Ford F-series, even if it’s the opposite know. Tesla will make a pick up but I believe about 95% will be in North America,

World Best Selling Car. The Top 100 Models in the 2017