Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about the tow hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as there are sufficiently large bolt holes in the frame rails for a hitch, I'm OK. Sooner or later someone will make an aftermarket hitch for $100-$200. If there isn't a place to mount a hitch, then I'm not so sure.
Surely there would be the mounting holes for it?
I DIY mounted my Toyota Prius hitch - imported from the USA to Australia
Was straightforward to do.
Was not rated to tow, just support hang gliders along with the roof bars!

I Europe, if the manufacturer has not certified the vehicle for a hitch then you can't add one. Not insurable, not legal, won't pass inspection. It's a big deal for me. I don't need to tow huge things, but I need a hitch. It's a major reason to wait for the Model 3.

I don't know about you, but the last time I interacted with the police, they didn't see fit to put my car through a full 29 point inspection ;)
You won't necessarily be stopped by the police. The Norwegian Public Roads Administration does traffic stops where they check the condition of the car and that everything is in order.

And at least in Norway, it's pretty common knowledge that hardly any BEVs can tow. So, it's not strange if a BEV towing would catch the eye of a police officer.

You won't necessarily be stopped by the police. The Norwegian Public Roads Administration does traffic stops where they check the condition of the car and that everything is in order.

That sounds very much like Norway ;) Meanwhile, my pickup's front bumper has been hanging at an angle for as long as I've owned it and it's never gotten a comment. ;) The main thing the police care about here is keeping drunk / high drivers off the street; they never seem to consider themselves vehicle inspectors. You just need to pass your annual inspection (where they're really strict about random weird things but not others - e.g. "Not enough rubber on the clutch pedal? MUST REPAIR. Car pulls to the left when braking? PASS." ); so long as the vehicle isn't flagged with a driving ban and has current plates, you're generally fine.

People keep mentioning bolt holes. What's with that? The hitches I've seen and used fit under the existing bumper, which bolts to the frame. That makes the hitch bolted to the frame. It may not be class II or III, but it tows my 1500 lb-rated trailer. Not living in Norway, I have never had a problem with it.

My best bet: a hitch and/or mount for one will be included on the dual motor version. Reasons:

1) Musk described the tow hitch as an "option" that will be made available eventually, not as a standard feature, in his one tweet about the subject.

2) Tesla has been trying to bundle all options on the Model 3into as few packages as possible.

3) Towing isn't just about power; the suspension must be able to handle the load of a hopping trailer as well. The suspension for the dual motor version will be different than on the single motor version (the former comes with air suspension).

4) Being able to level the car is very useful for trailers.

5) The sort of people who tend to tow trailers also tend to be the sort of people who drive in conditions where AWD is more useful. Trailers are very popular in the countryside where roads are bad, and they also tend to be popular in major Tesla markets like Norway (where snow and rugged terrain is a big issue).

Reactions: GSP
So I'm gathering that using a 4-door sedan to tow stuff is big in Europe, and maybe Canada? I can't imagine ever using a Model 3, or any sedan, to tow anything. I'd rather just borrow a pick-up or rent a moving truck/van for a few hours/days and spare the car completely.

FWIW, I've been driving for well over 20 years and have never used anything other than a pickup truck to tow anything.