Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am i doing wrong? [help request with scheduled charging]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused about charging, what I want to do is charge off peak hours and set a departure time.
Ex. Departure at 4:30 am which I set
Should I enable off peak as well?
I put off peak time at 4 pm in southern ca.

I had it set this way for all week with off peak on and it didn’t charge? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Currently with the app, it seems you can only do one or the other (even though it lets you select both). If you're not charging to 100% during that session, you can set your charge limit and just tell it to only charge after a certain set of hours. It should fill up during that time. There are a fair number of posts about this but I hear you--the app isn't being intuitive about this.

On the app, I get two choices
1-Departure(Precondition)
2-Off Peak (All Week)

I opted to have both on thinking it would charge before my departure time during off peak being after 4 pm but did not? Am really confused.

Last night i just decided to charge manually after 9 pm. I guess i will be doing this from now on, can't afford to be left with low charge before leaving to work. It's too bad because i thought the way i was trying to do it would have made sense to not have to always manually charge.

This is very confusing, I have read many post on this and still doesn't make sense??

It was set the same as the app.
I am currently using charge at a 9pm and precondition by the time I leave.
The off peak is a pain in the a.. to make work. I’ve tried different ways and nothing. I can’t afford to come out to a non charged car on the way to work.

I hope they make the app make sense and work correctly.

It was set the same as the app.
The off peak is a pain in the a.. to make work. I’ve tried different ways and nothing. I can’t afford to come out to a non charged car on the way to work.

I hope they make the app make sense and work correctly.
Show us how you are trying to get your off peak to work. It works well if you take the time to understand how it is designed to work,

I don't have off-peak rates. Say I set Departure to 9 am. I turn on Precondition. Then turn on Off-Peak charge and set Off-Peak end time to 9 am (same time as departure). Works for me.

New Model 3 owner here and I find it absolutely bizarre that I don't have the option to block charging during peak hours. I've looked at a number of threads on this and it seems like a number of folks have suggested what Tesla should offer - a setting that allows you to prioritize "no charging during peak hours" over reaching any sort of max charge - but there is no such thing (at least currently). It sounded in an older thread like someone was able to achieve this with the ev.energy app - have others had success with that?

To be specific, what I want is to be able to arrive home at, say, 7pm, plug it in, and have the car not start charging until 9pm (the end of peak time). If the car continues to charge overnight and into the next day, I would want it to stop at 5pm (the start of peak time) if it hasn't reached a full charge, and then start again after 9. Yes, I realize I can achieve this manually by accessing the app and stopping it, or going out to the car myself, but given the technology it certainly seems like something that should be automated.

New Model 3 owner here and I find it absolutely bizarre that I don't have the option to block charging during peak hours. I've looked at a number of threads on this and it seems like a number of folks have suggested what Tesla should offer - a setting that allows you to prioritize "no charging during peak hours" over reaching any sort of max charge - but there is no such thing (at least currently). It sounded in an older thread like someone was able to achieve this with the ev.energy app - have others had success with that?

To be specific, what I want is to be able to arrive home at, say, 7pm, plug it in, and have the car not start charging until 9pm (the end of peak time). If the car continues to charge overnight and into the next day, I would want it to stop at 5pm (the start of peak time) if it hasn't reached a full charge, and then start again after 9. Yes, I realize I can achieve this manually by accessing the app and stopping it, or going out to the car myself, but given the technology it certainly seems like something that should be automated.
If it takes more than 8 hours to charge, 9pm to 5am, there is not a way to do that as of yet. You can set Start Charge at 9pm or set Depart at 5am but not charge only between 9 to 5. At least not that I know of.

I had this same issue initially. It seems that you can't set a departure time and set a scheduled charging time together. Since you know that your off-peak hours are generally after 8 or 9 PM, just schedule your charge after that in the app. go to "Schedule> Select "Charge"> Select "Enable scheduled charging" > then set the "Start Charging at" time. I Set mine for 8:30 PM. Since I did this, I haven't had this issue since. Car begins charging at 8:30 PM and is generally finished by 1 or 2 am. I do have the Wall Charger and I set the maximum charge amount to 40 amps

I believe you can achieve that by using the Tessie app. You can setup custom automations to do various actions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220828-132037.jpg
    Screenshot_20220828-132037.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 119
Apparently all those "smart" people Tesla hires couldn't figure it out.

Then maybe they might want to start listening to their customers. Because it's that attitude that pushing people away.
Tesla listens to the majority of their customers, not everybody’s wish list. The current charging program works for the vast majority of customers.

If there is enough request for changes, they will most likely make some change, depending on order of importance.

Tesla listens to the majority of their customers, not everybody’s wish list. The current charging program works for the vast majority of customers.

If there is enough request for changes, they will most likely make some change, depending on order of importance.
What are you talking about, the whole departure time charging thing was confusing from the start and everyone complained about it yet Tesla has done nothing to simplify it. Just like how the Dashcam Viewer has never worked correctly and Tesla still hasn't fixed it.

Reactions: Rocky_H

You're grasping. Those features didn't use to exist. They just had start time. Then they added it, but it has never actually worked correctly. So this isn't about a "wish list". It's if they are going to create a feature, don't create it broken and leave it that way with no effort to fix it.

Reactions: Resist
You're grasping. Those features didn't use to exist. They just had start time. Then they added it, but it has never actually worked correctly. So this isn't about a "wish list". It's if they are going to create a feature, don't create it broken and leave it that way with no effort to fix it.
I have no problem charging during off-peak hours and ready to depart when I schedule. I took the time to understand how the current system works. It will cover most normal off-peak hours if you know how to set it up.