Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Am I Doing Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Took delivery of M3 today, love it.
Set up the app and it recognises the car and the car has logged the iPhone in its controls, however when I approach the car with phone in my pocket, the car won’t unlock. I’ve got to take the phone out of my pocket and open the app, if the app is open on my phone in my hand, then the car door will unlock.

What am I doing wrong?

Not taking it out of your pocket soon enough... Sometimes a bit of patience needed for car to unlock. App or phone doesn't need to be actually open. Just not switched off or swiped to close. But pockets and bags sometimes enough to defeat it. Welcome to Tesla.

Last edited:
You don't have to open the app.
You just have to 'unlock' the home page (TouchID or FaceID) so the padlock shows as unlocked - presumably a security thing so someone can't just nick your phone and get in the car.
If you do this a few metres from the car it will remember by the time the phone is back in your pocket.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
You don't have to open the app.
You just have to 'unlock' the home page (TouchID or FaceID) so the padlock shows as unlocked - presumably a security thing so someone can't just nick your phone and get in the car.
If you do this a few metres from the car it will remember by the time the phone is back in your pocket.
Confused.......I was under the impression that it worked off Bluetooth and would simply recognise the phone in vicinity.

So what you’re saying is the phone has to be unlocked for the car to see it?

Confused.......I was under the impression that it worked off Bluetooth and would simply recognise the phone in vicinity.

So what you’re saying is the phone has to be unlocked for the car to see it?
Phone doesn't need to be unlocked.

I just have the Tesla app logged in and running in the background, bluetooth always on. Phone is always locked and in my pocket. Seem to remember if the app isn't running in background then it won't work.

Reactions: CMc1
Phone doesn't need to be unlocked.

I just have the Tesla app logged in and running in the background, bluetooth always on. Phone is always locked and in my pocket. Seem to remember if the app isn't running in background then it won't work.
App defo running in the background, phone in pocket, screen locked, wall up to the car and nowt happens. If I get the phone out of my pocket, hey presto

Is this an apple thing?

As long as my Android phone is in my pocket, I can just walk up and open a door.

If the car is in a deep sleep, it takes a while to respond. If I know the car is asleep I open the app before going out to the car, to give it time to wake up.

Mine is an Iphone - key works flawlessly no matter how long the car has been sat. It opens straight away every time with phone in pocket

Agree, mine is the same, with one exception. Sometimes if I've killed off the Tesla app and restarted it I then have to toggle bluetooth off then back on whilst the Tesla app is open. Not normally an issue as I just leave the app always running.

^^ Worth a try?

Mine is an Iphone - key works flawlessly no matter how long the car has been sat. It opens straight away every time with phone in pocket
Mine is also the same. iPhone XS locked and in pocket. Walk up to the car, push the handle and the door opens. This has worked flawlessly since I picked up my M3 in March. Here are my Tesla app settings:

app-settings.jpg

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl