Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the batteries to avoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm in the market for a used Model S. Is there a consensus on which batteries are to be avoided or which ones I should look for?

So far I know the original 60 is one to avoid since for some reason those are more expensive to replace than the 85.

I think I've heard the 90 is one to avoid. Any opinions on the other capacities?

I would look for one that has had a brand new replacement (under warranty or not) with one of the newer 350V batteries (1014116 versions A, B or C). Those have been used as warranty replacements for a couple of years now, so there are used Model S cars on the market that have these replacements. This way you will get the latest and greatest battery chemistry.

It may be hard to find details on what batteries are in used cars that have had their batteries replaced. So for a much simplified version, I would say sticking with at least 2015 or 2016 cars or newer is a good idea.

I think it's well worth the effort to look for replaced batteries in used Teslas, given how much they cost to replace out of warranty. As long as the battery sticker is readable, it tells you everything you need to know. When I was searching, I asked dealers and private sellers to send me photos of the sticker, which they had no problems doing because it's visible from the ground.

I would look for one that has had a brand new replacement (under warranty or not) with one of the newer 350V batteries (1014116 versions A, B or C). Those have been used as warranty replacements for a couple of years now, so there are used Model S cars on the market that have these replacements. This way you will get the latest and greatest battery chemistry.
Can you give me a run down on what you know about these packs? I'm looking at a s 85d that has a new 1014116-00-b battery and not finding much on this particular pack. Thanks

Can you give me a run down on what you know about these packs? I'm looking at a s 85d that has a new 1014116-00-b battery and not finding much on this particular pack. Thanks
That is a version of the 350V replacement pack that many folks on this forum have received to replace a failed 85 pack. I'm not an expert on these, but I bought my own used car because it had one of these packs recently installed, and it gave me peace of mind. So in your case, since the B version has been replaced by at least one more recent version, I would pay the most attention to the battery age, since battery degradation is as much a function of calendar years as it is of mileage. Don't overpay for a replacement pack that's actually a few years old at this point.

Reactions: TFCooper3
That's for the input. Battery is just over 2 years old on a 2015 85d that has 64k miles. 21k price after ev credit mcu2 and fusc. Best deal I've seen with a fairly new battery without rolling dice on a 8+ year old original pack
That sounds like a good value assuming that you are sure that FUSC will stick. I would also try to find out, if possible, if any suspension work has been done. It's a heavy car, so it's around the age that it will need some suspension parts replaced if that hasn't been done already. Suspension work doesn't need to be done by Tesla, there's nothing EV-specific about it. Sometimes the lower-mileage cars aren't maintained quite as well as ones that are used more regularly/heavily.

That sounds like a good value assuming that you are sure that FUSC will stick. I would also try to find out, if possible, if any suspension work has been done. It's a heavy car, so it's around the age that it will need some suspension parts replaced if that hasn't been done already. Suspension work doesn't need to be done by Tesla, there's nothing EV-specific about it. Sometimes the lower-mileage cars aren't maintained quite as well as ones that are used more regularly/heavily.
The ad is claiming free lifetime supercharging so I'm assuming it is sc01, it's a one owner so he sent me the complete service history from Tesla. There was a board replacement from the car communicating with the app issue and the charger door and trunk latch one door handle issue all fixed. Otherwise the battery was new in 2022. Any clue what this means ccs and 3rd party nacs dc charging, says not installed? What does that entail. Car has new tires looks clean as a whistle. Brand new mcu2 upgrade

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_194128.jpg
    IMG_20240308_194128.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 14