Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the chances of Matrix Led headlights to Model S in an order placed 1 days ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I always wondered about was why Tesla doesn’t have the self leveling headlights my 2013 CTSV did a test to level headlights and turned when I turned the steering wheel but my Tesla had static lights. Now looks like Model 3 has gotten them not self moving at this point but I am guessing that is a software update away when will we see the new lights on Model S?

The one thing I always wondered about was why Tesla doesn’t have the self leveling headlights my 2013 CTSV did a test to level headlights and turned when I turned the steering wheel but my Tesla had static lights. Now looks like Model 3 has gotten them not self moving at this point but I am guessing that is a software update away when will we see the new lights on Model S?
No one on this forum knows when

I would say your chances are high if you're taking delivery later this year since a model S has already been spotted with facelifted tail lights (I would assume that also means updated headlights too). However as mentioned above your guess is as good as mine!

Reactions: MrKool
Are you sure that it was a production S that had the updated tails? From everything i've heard, those updated tails are for the EU market to accomodate the bigger charge ports. There's been no confimrations that the NA market is going to be getting them.

Also, highly doubt there will be any updated headlights from the ones that the refresh S's have now. I'm almost positive the headlights on the refreshed model S differs from the non-refreshed versions. I recently upgraded to the Plaid from my previous Long Range S and noticed that when I turn the steering wheel, the left/right side gets noticeable brighter the more I turn the wheel. Its as if it functions as a Matrix based light would. This function didn't exist on my previous S, although the headlights themselves look identical.

So I believe for the refresh S and X, the hardware is already there, its just now a matter of software update. I say all this, but the chirstimas show on the Plaid, doesn;t seem to show the Tesla writing through the headlights as the 3 does. so who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrKool
Are you sure that it was a production S that had the updated tails? From everything i've heard, those updated tails are for the EU market to accomodate the bigger charge ports. There's been no confimrations that the NA market is going to be getting them.

Also, highly doubt there will be any updated headlights from the ones that the refresh S's have now. I'm almost positive the headlights on the refreshed model S differs from the non-refreshed versions. I recently upgraded to the Plaid from my previous Long Range S and noticed that when I turn the steering wheel, the left/right side gets noticeable brighter the more I turn the wheel. Its as if it functions as a Matrix based light would. This function didn't exist on my previous S, although the headlights themselves look identical.

So I believe for the refresh S and X, the hardware is already there, its just now a matter of software update. I say all this, but the chirstimas show on the Plaid, doesn;t seem to show the Tesla writing through the headlights as the 3 does. so who knows.
I am fairly confident we will see a version of those tail lights here eventually since Tesla almost always prioritizes its NA market over the EU market in terms of new features, but like you said there's no confirmation on anything so its just guesses.

The current headlights are the exact same part numbers as the pre-refresh cars. Your Long Range pre-refresh probably didn't have the corner lighting because at one point it was apart of the premium package or something like that. You would definitely be able to see a different headlight if it had matrix like the 3 since all the Matrix systems I have seen use a sort of a lens for the matrix portion of the beam.

Also recently a bill was signed to legalize Matrix headlights in the next 2 years in NA, so it would make sense why Tesla would start integrating them in all their cars so they're ready to be enabled when fully legal.

My 2020 LR would turn on a side light when turning it would stay steady though and did not get brighter.

My 2020 LR would turn on a side light when turning it would stay steady though and did not get brighter.
There's two cornering lights on a pre-refresh, one in the fog lights (which is either on or off and is pretty dim) and 3 in the headlights. The headlights ones don't "dim" per say, instead more of those 3 lights illuminate the more you turn your steering wheel.

I'm almost positive the headlights on the refreshed model S differs from the non-refreshed versions.
They're 100% identical. Refresh parts catalog:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 10.23.04 AM.png

2016-2021 parts catalog:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 10.23.53 AM.png

They're identical. The "base" headlights in the older car don't include the cornering lamps and were standard in earlier cars without the Premium Upgrades Package (later cars post 2018 or so all got the "up-level" lights after the PUP went away and became part of the base model).

I'm hopeful too, but not terribly optimistic. I would think wiring compatibility is the biggest issue.
Telsa has been making these crap lights for years with zero change. I can’t imagine they would not have a relatively simple plug and play kit for current model s owners. 🤞 There’s a lot of money to be made as I’m sure many owners would upgrade…..but who knows what the hell Tesla is planning?

I mean the 3/Y already went from standard to matrix headlights and I can't really say I've seen anyone doing the retrofits for those so I wouldn't put it past Tesla to NOT make it plug and play. You couldnt even go from the MS HID to LED headlights simply.

Telsa has been making these crap lights for years with zero change. I can’t imagine they would not have a relatively simple plug and play kit for current model s owners. 🤞 There’s a lot of money to be made as I’m sure many owners would upgrade…..but who knows what the hell Tesla is planning?
It won’t be plug and play. They don’t want to be in the business of upgrading components or doing retrofits.

Reactions: pabla
Interesting... reading the current Model S owner's manual at Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla...

Think this is for the overseas new deliveries?

Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)​

If equipped, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve. When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

Interesting... reading the current Model S owner's manual at Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla...

Think this is for the overseas new deliveries?

Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)​

If equipped, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve. When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.
There is no way this is true or at least I haven’t noticed this other than a side light that turns on when turning I call BS for the rest

All you need to do is see a somewhat related twitter (preferably from Sawyer) and then repost here as fact. That will make it true and coming into play within two weeks.

The truth is that until it happens, no one knows and speculation is just that - no more than rumors.

We saw the tail lights on one car that was not even on this continent and follows a different set of traffic laws. They obviously need a new charge port for non-US cars but they do not need to change anything on the US lights. Depends on how much they need to change tooling on whether it makes sense to change the US lights or not. If just a port - it might be easy/cheap. Plastic molds for lights will be very expensive and in these volumes, Tesla will kick and scream to not change unless needed.

Maybe we get them, maybe we do not...

All you need to do is see a somewhat related twitter (preferably from Sawyer) and then repost here as fact. That will make it true and coming into play within two weeks.

The truth is that until it happens, no one knows and speculation is just that - no more than rumors.

We saw the tail lights on one car that was not even on this continent and follows a different set of traffic laws. They obviously need a new charge port for non-US cars but they do not need to change anything on the US lights. Depends on how much they need to change tooling on whether it makes sense to change the US lights or not. If just a port - it might be easy/cheap. Plastic molds for lights will be very expensive and in these volumes, Tesla will kick and scream to not change unless needed.

Maybe we get them, maybe we do not...
well my reasoning for selling my 2020 and getting a refresh was all the Tesla is going for horizontal screens it makes sense for them to keep developing for that screen orientation so the vertical will be left behind. Same goes for if you have the widely popular and tested matrix led lights that you use in your Model 3 and Model y that is sold way more than the model S why keep the old tech, the current lights, in place when you can have a single software module controlling the lights?