Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the differences between Long Range and Performance (beyond the obvious)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm struggling to decide between the a new 2020 MS performance v. long range. If it's JUST that P gives me ludicrous and launch mode, it's probably better for my marriage and society in general that I save a few bucks and stick with the long range mode. But if there are other design and/or performance difference between the two--even if minor--it would be good to know what they are. But I can't seem to find such a list anywhere online.

thanks!

I'm struggling to decide between the a new 2020 MS performance v. long range. If it's JUST that P gives me ludicrous and launch mode, it's probably better for my marriage and society in general that I save a few bucks and stick with the long range mode. But if there are other design and/or performance difference between the two--even if minor--it would be good to know what they are. But I can't seem to find such a list anywhere online.

thanks!
The main difference is the performance and loss in range of the P model compared to the LR + model. The LR + model is already very fast, so unless you have cash to spare or absolutely need that insane acceleration, the LR+ is the way to go.

Performance has a bigger rear motor and better acceleration and less range, even when driving normally, due to the big rear motor. The Long Range is plenty fast, not insane or ludicrous, but fast. I usually buy the fastest version of the car I want, but wanted to lessen range anxiety more. Even better, it costs less!

The main difference is the performance and loss in range of the P model compared to the LR + model. The LR + model is already very fast, so unless you have cash to spare or absolutely need that insane acceleration, the LR+ is the way to go.
Just wanted to emphasize the point that even a LR Model S is still infinitely faster than most every ICE car that most people have driven that are considering a Model S for the first time. It's rated 0-60 in the high 3's which will embarrass most exotic supercars and it's actually faster in RL than it's rated which tends to be the opposite of #'s for ICE cars that you're comparing figures to that often need perfect conditions to replicate and even than can only seem to do it 2 or 3 times out of 10.

I think you've gotten most of the answers in the various posts here, but to consolidate the differences:

- Bigger rear drive unit (more power/less range)
- Battery pack has higher output/ludicrous fuses but is otherwise the same capacity
- Carbon Fiber interior trim option
- Beefier, red brake calipers
- Carbon fiber rear spoiler
- I think at one point only the P models had aluminum pedals, but that may not be the case anymore
- Summer-only tires
- Apparently, the ability to select Low regen (seems like that was recently removed from LR+ models)

I am in the same boat. I have to make 230 miles trip one way almost every other week so I wanted a LR+ but I was able to fi d a Performance variant for only 8k more with everything included aka FSD and white interior etc. So I decided to get the Performance. Not gonna lie I'm still questioning my decision and haven't accepted delivery yet due to this issue

A betterrouteplanner says I'll be fine in Performance for this 230 miles trip. So OP of range is more important to you then there's no question you should go with LR+ but if you can find a great deal on Performance and willing to give up 50 miles of range then go with Performance.

I am in the same boat. I have to make 230 miles trip one way almost every other week so I wanted a LR+ but I was able to fi d a Performance variant for only 8k more with everything included aka FSD and white interior etc. So I decided to get the Performance. Not gonna lie I'm still questioning my decision and haven't accepted delivery yet due to this issue

A betterrouteplanner says I'll be fine in Performance for this 230 miles trip. So OP of range is more important to you then there's no question you should go with LR+ but if you can find a great deal on Performance and willing to give up 50 miles of range then go with Performance.

Too many people who have never owned a Tesla make the mistake of basing it off of absolute range #'s. I know because that's how I was before I bought my first one and during the 2nd one I bought too. It wasn't until sometime before buying my 3rd one that I finally realized that the benefits to buying cars with more range FAR outweighed just getting to a distance X miles away. Once you own one for a while you find out that on a daily basis that aspect of range is secondary to the more important aspects that aren't as easy to quantify.

For starters, the larger packs charge faster and will do so for more years. You also don't have to run 100% all of the time and barely coast into your destination which will also improve your quality of life. Same goes for when you're deciding to plug it in at night or not. We set our cars to 80% (sometimes less) which affords us to only have to plug in at night every several days based on our daily use. This will also increase the life of other aspects of charging like the charge port/door, whatever connector/charger you use and other related components.

The real benefit of more range isn't measured in that one random time in your life that you make it to a destination so much as the day to day advantages that come with a larger capacity pack. This is especially the case when you likely could have got a "splash" somewhere else along the way negate that one-time benefit anyway. Too many people make the choice the may regret later just comparing the range #'s and 0-60 #'s but neither of these tell the full story.

Gun-to-my-head and I had to choose a new LR or P today I'd take the LR w/o a second thought, especially given how close the performance numbers are these days and the price difference between the two. I realize that's not going to be everyone's opinion but it's mine and I've owned 5 Model S now made up of both types.

Of course you could just do what I do: Buy one of each used for about the same or less $$ as buying one new one and having to decide. You'll lose less money on depreciation as well. Right tool for the job I say!

Let me through a new wrinkle into the mix: is there a difference in resale/residual value? I'm shopping for a new MS right now and am generally finding 4x the new performance inventory than I am the long range inventory. Along the same lines, I'm finding that the performance models seem to be more steeply discounted than their long range brethren, all other options being equal. Is that coincidental, or is there a larger resale market for the performance flavor?

I realize we're splitting hairs here. Both the range and the performance difference between the LR+ and P models seem pretty minor either way. After all, no on really needs to go 0-60 in 2.3s. It's a matter of whether you want to pay a few more bucks to show off once in a while, or if you're a more practically-minded person that would rather have that ludicrous acceleration back in a few more miles of range. Or at least that's my take on it at this point. When I first asked the question, I was trying to figure out if there were real handling differences (such as one might find in an BMW M3 vs. a 335i--there's a lot more difference between those cars than just the engine.) But it doesn't really sound like there are. Aside from some cosmetic trim options, it seems like the difference is really just a slightly larger motor in the rear that accelerates a bit faster.

Thanks all for the input!

You guys' responses are very well put together. I've been a p3d owner for two years and as much as I love the exhilarating 0-60 speeds it does gets overshadowed by lack of range.
The sole reason for me to get a Model S is more range needed for long trips, 230 miles, but I was offered such a great deal, 11k off, on performance that it was hard to pass. After reading your responses here, I'm actually canceling the order and custom ordering a LR+
Decisions Decisions!

Reactions: mswlogo

I'm with everyone else here where I say it's worth it to go for the longer range over the performance. The LR+ models are more than fast and it's certainly nicer to be able to reach your destination with a buffer. While neither model could make a 230 mile trip both ways, it's good to know you wouldn't be worrying about whether you can make it to a supercharger (especially in colder weather).