Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What battery cells are in the 2023 M3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a 2023 M3 LR owner, and my car (built in August 2023) is reporting 233Whr/mi lifetime since I took delivery late August. With a 78.8kWhr battery, that would translate to ~338 mile range in real life and it is very close to the EPA rated range, and obviously Tesla never lets a car to go too close to 0%.

I am a 2023 M3 LR owner, and my car (built in August 2023) is reporting 233Whr/mi lifetime since I took delivery late August. With a 78.8kWhr battery, that would translate to ~338 mile range in real life and it is very close to the EPA rated range, and obviously Tesla never lets a car to go too close to 0%.
You can go to 0%, way below 0% on the display. In fact that is how EPA range is set.
0% on the cell level is not totally empty, but the level it is safe to discharge to.

The [Full Pack When New] number is usually very close to the delivered energy from the battery at the EPA tests.
(As an example the S Plaid with a 99.4 kWh pack delivered 99.3kWh in the charge depleting highway test.)

Panasonic cells are NCA (Nickel Cobalt Aluminum), not NMC (Nickel Manganese Cobalt).

Until recently all 3/Y LR packs in the US were Panasonic NCA, but the pack in the re-introduced 2023 3LR is definitely different (range reduction from 358 to 333 miles). This matches closely with the pack capacity of the Chinese LG NMC cells available in other parts of the world.
What battery type is in the 2022 Model 3 Standard Range?

The LG NCMA packs can not deliver same power as the Panasonic NCA.
Does this include discharge as well as charging? With the recently announced model 3 highland performance with supposedly using the same battery as the long range model 3, it has a better 0-60 than the ones with nca battery, only 0.2 seconds but if ncma performance sucks maybe the new car will be limited to even higher % soc to reach that 2.9 than the old one?

Does this include discharge as well as charging? With the recently announced model 3 highland performance with supposedly using the same battery as the long range model 3, it has a better 0-60 than the ones with nca battery, only 0.2 seconds but if ncma performance sucks maybe the new car will be limited to even higher % soc to reach that 2.9 than the old one?

Yes, but one of the strengths of the LG cells is keeping a reasonably high discharge power until lower SoC, so if you run both at 10% SoC interval and compare the % of 0-60 loss, the LG cells will lose less

Would be interesting to see a head to head of the two to test when/if the LG is faster than the Panasonic at low state of charge

Yes, it is borh ways, slower charge and lower peak power output.

But the cars are torque limited and do not produce 500hp from stillstanding.

As power is = torque times rpm, we actually has close to 0Hp but a mot of torque when the car start. The power curve for the old M3P is increasing with speed and reaches ~ 500hp or so at ~ 50 mph.

If you increase the torque at lower speeds the car will accelerate faster.
Torque on the wheels = acceleration.

So you can still have better average power and acceleration in average between 0-60 mph dispute having less peak power.

They say/state that the new motor delivers more ppwwr at higher speed (not having the brutal loss of power > 50 mph that the old one has). Lets hope it is true.
As it is a new motor we can hope for the same continous power as the Plaid, but at a lower level (set by the battery in this case).

Reactions: GhostSkater
I just saw some unconfirmed rumors (picture of a Tesla rep. Mail) where they said that the US version is actually more powerfull (500hp) vs the Europe version (460hp).
This would mean that it will get the Panasonic more powerfull battery - if thats the case, good news for US. ;)

Highland 3P qualifies for tax credit so it’s using Panasonic NCA cells not LG NCMA. At least for the US market.

I purchased a 2023 model 3 and it has the LG m50f1a in it and it still qualified for the 7500 tax incentive, why did it go away this year?
the law grows more strict every year about the percentage of domestic battery materials needed for the credit.

LG cells are made in China.

Panasonic is building a new factory in Kansas. Looks like it will be big. This is certainly due to the law.

Reactions: E90alex
I purchased a 2023 model 3 and it has the LG m50f1a in it and it still qualified for the 7500 tax incentive, why did it go away this year?

The Treasury dept had simply delayed implementing some of the battery content restrictions until 2024 to give them and automakers time to work out all the details. It was unrelated to the aforementioned incremental increases in the minimum percentages of battery minerals/components from North America or countries with free trade agreements that is written into the law.

Joe Manchin was none too pleased about the delay. But I was more than happy to take advantage of the opportunity myself and get the $7500. 😎

Reactions: DrChaos
Highland 3P qualifies for tax credit so it’s using Panasonic NCA cells not LG NCMA. At least for the US market.
So it seems the LG battery in the 2024 model 3 performance is slower to charge, dishes out less power, and has a smaller battery pack. (79kwh vs 82kwh. )

Do we know if the LG battery has less longevity, or degrades quicker. ?

I was thinking of buying one here in Canada, but honestly, the less HP, and smaller battery with no price difference kind of makes me want to not order this anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
So it seems the LG battery in the 2024 model 3 performance is slower to charge, dishes out less power, and has a smaller battery pack. (79kwh vs 82kwh. )

Do we know if the LG battery has less longevity, or degrades quicker. ?

I was thinking of buying one here in Canada, but honestly, the less HP, and smaller battery with no price difference kind of makes me want to not order this anymore.
I thought that the LG was better in the cold....which should suit Canadian buyers