Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What can I expect on a test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did mine back in February from Solihull. Told we could go out for up to an hour on our own. Pre programmed route wasn't that long so went off piste out onto some country lanes and had a good blast! Placed my order that evening, got it 2 days before lockdown.

Reactions: Durzel
Didn't have one - just ordered!
I really wanted to do that at lockdown but Mrs F persuaded me to wait for a test drive slot - i might have not liked the tesla (fat chance of that!!) Anyway during the test drive and noting the acceleration of the M3 LR (shouting expletives as I was rocketed to 70 on the motorway) I was hooked, I do wish i'd jumped the gun and ordered it earlier - might have got mine in the last delivery, but i'm a little happier that I may get one on the August delivery with the USB-C and charging mat fingers crossed!

Reactions: Jez_GB and Roy W.
Well I had my test drive this morning in Leeds. I was handed a standard (single motor) car in white and given 30 minutes to go where I pleased. This gave me enough time to try a variety of roads and get a feel for both the power and handling. Got to say I would pleasantly surprised by both! Acceleration was quick and handling was good with nicely weighted steering.

I can only imagine how much faster the twin motor version will feel - this is what I was originally leaning towards and probably still am. I don’t think I’d miss the performance version.

Oh and it confirmed I do not like white.

The ride was comfortable on 18s. Are the 19s noticeably harsher?

Reactions: Neilio and Roy W.
Glad you had a good time on your drive.

I went for the twin motor, but like you didn’t feel the need for the P. Higher insurance too with the P.

I test drove on 19s, and the ride was certainly a bit harder than the 18s I’ve got now. Having said that, I’m sure you’d get used to either.

I’m not a fan of white cars either, but it’s a bit of a bummer that Tesla charge so much for the other colours.

I did one just after Covid. Collected Model X at midday, dropped it back the following morning at 10am. Chiswick.
Another one for Chiswick when I test my M3P. Service really good in the covid world. They should already have sent you videos on operation fo the car as they can't take you through the controls anymore. Then you just turn up, they go and get the car. There's a wait whilst they wipe it down and clean everything then you're free to go. I think I was given 25 minutes. Enough time for me to pick up the missus and have her moan about the seats and the infotainment system and the acceleration!

have a good fiddle with everything, ask yourself loads of "could I live with how this...." questions and if you get the opportunity to go plug it in at a supercharger for even just a minute - go do it - to understand the USP of this car at this time.

try not to be too blinkered by all the funky stuff as it's still got to be a car that works for you and not a fancy ipad most of the time.

be as critical with your own internal thinking on the car as you can possibly be. very easy to have optimism bias because it will feel so different/exciting.

I was lucky through company scheme and got 48 hours, by the end of that there were four or five areas that I could nit-pick on the car as a whole but none were enough to miss out on a taste of EV for very sensible cost and contributing to a lower carbon outcome.

Reactions: Neilio
Ha, that was one of her problems. She was worried I'd get distracted by all the tech in the car.

Which, to be fair, I will... It's been nice knowing you all!

I thought that when I first drove - And as my Mum and Girlfriend both pointed out - To be honest it's a lot less attention-grabbing than you'd think - The central console speedo becomes second nature quickly, and all the FSD kit means you can "afford" to be a little less connected to driving when you're on the motorway etc - I mean for the seconds it takes to pull up and change Spotify playlist, etc.

I've had the odd squeaky bum moment - But to be honest that was more me being a bad driver than the car distracting me! You'll be fine.. order order order!

I've had 2 test drives both about an hour each post-covid lockdown from Birmingham / Solihull. The first was without the wife so I could see what it was capable of and explore some country roads the second was a little more tame despite hammering it down with rain.

One little bit of advice that I wish I'd have given myself, is make sure you set the seat & controls up to be comfortable for you. I was test driving the Model X and spent the first 10 minutes trying to figure out how to set the controls to change the position of the steering wheel (having seen so many video's of the Model 3) before I got bored and just set off. After working it out, the second test drive was so much better even if I was more restrained having the wife with me.

for those who went for a test drive at the Chiswick branch, two questions:

(1) was the routing sufficient to let you floor the car/experience the handling? Did it take you out on the A4/M4? Concerned it will just be 30mins sat in traffic!

(2) is there free parking there for your car whilst test driving?

(1) was the routing sufficient to let you floor the car/experience the handling? Did it take you out on the A4/M4? Concerned it will just be 30mins sat in traffic!

Things may have changed now because I did it under COVID No contact rules but I was left to my own devices. Just told to bring the car back in 25 minutes. Enough tim to head to strand on the green to test it in an urban zone and then come back with a blast down the A4.

Sadly there is no parking on site at all. Best bet is probably parking in Chiswick high road then walking all the way down Devonshire road to the showroom . Or you could be cheeky and park at Chiswick house and cross the A4

Reactions: boater291
Things may have changed now because I did it under COVID No contact rules but I was left to my own devices. Just told to bring the car back in 25 minutes. Enough tim to head to strand on the green to test it in an urban zone and then come back with a blast down the A4.

Sadly there is no parking on site at all. Best bet is probably parking in Chiswick high road then walking all the way down Devonshire road to the showroom . Or you could be cheeky and park at Chiswick house and cross the A4

Thanks for the info!

I was given a Model X for 24 hours, didn't request it but that's how they were doing it a few weeks ago. No free parking (though there is pay parking nearby), I got an Uber to there from my house.

I managed to get a test drive in a white Model 3 Long Range, black seats yesterday afternoon from the Southampton "Distribution Hub" - actually a mobile showroom in the corner of an almost empty car park within Southampton Docks.

I previously ordered a Model 3 LR (FSD) White with white seats & tow hitch in April so the test drive car was at least similar.
Shortly after ordering I asked for a test drive but, being mid-Covid, they'd stopped doing them.
Asked again last week and was told "when would you like to test drive" - hence yesterday's booking.

Was given a pre-planned route (up the M271 link to the M27 westbound to next exit and visit the McDonald's services on the Romney Road roundabout) but I missed a junction or two - got back ok though. It was set up as "to work" and just had to cancel the navigation and re-select "home" to get back.

Adjusted the seats, mirrors and steering wheel and was then left on my own to drive. Left the driving on "chill" and "hold".
Found the rear view not so good (as a Volvo V70) with small internal mirror and high back window - just different.
Initially found it hard to stop two-pedal driving but soon got the hang of one-pedal driving.
Couple of speed bursts on the motorway and tried TACC then autosteer - takes more getting used-to than I had time for.
Did notice autosteer tended to drive further left in the lane than I'd prefer.
Didn't hear any navigation voice - it was too quiet and I'm deaf. When I did raise the volume someone had previously turned the radio on and I couldn't turn it off. Otherwise, with my hearing aids on "cafe-mode" it was a really quiet drive. :)

At the end of the drive I was shown the trunk and frunk - they had blue charger cables everywhere.

I think an hour minimum would have been better but the short test wasn't enough to put me off continuing my purchase of a Model 3.

One thing I did come away with was the likelihood I'd be able to trade-in my Volvo and collect the new Model 3 (when/if I'm matched) from Southampton instead of Heathrow/West Drayton. A 10 mile round trip instead of 140 miles. :)