Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What can I expect on a test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope you don't mind but I've cut'n'paste this (almost) verbatim from a non-car forum I post to. Seems relevant though.

I went to the Solihull Tesla centre for my first Model 3 drive, and indeed first proper poke around a Model 3, having watched hours of videos on the bloody things and the competition.

It was a great experience all round. The covid booking process was really straightforward and I pretty much had my choice of slots, scheduled for an hour.

The fellow in the showroom as extremely accommodating. There are certain similarities to the church of Apple with the experience, but it was very positive. He showed me round the basic controls and how to set up the seating/mirrors/steering profiles, explained how the test drive would run - most of this was how to get out of the shopping centre car park for free - and that basically although they had programmed a route in the satnav I could go where I wanted in the time allowed.

I was the first to arrive for the 12pm slot so he gave me the choice of either the M3P or a LR with 18" wheels. Although I was very tempted to boot the Performance model around, I decided to go with the LR as that’s the exact config I’m interested in.

The interior quality was far higher than I was expecting. The seats seem extremely comfortable and everything was a lot plusher than the impression I got from videos. I was genuinely surprised by this. First impressions and all…

I found the handling to be excellent. I don’t put myself in the good driver bracket so I would never test the limits of what I felt was on offer. There was no sense of carrying lots of mass around, cornering was very flat and it seemed totally sure-footed in wet conditions on greasy roads.

The performance was quite honestly skull-****ing. God alone knows what the M3P must be like. From a standing start, or from any ‘in-gear’ speed it was just comical. My 330d is fairly perky, this was just mental.

The auto-wipers did just work. I know ____ will love to be validated there. They should still have a switch for adjusting them, mind.

I did have one negative moment to call out. On the motorway, I had the traffic aware cruise control on and I did get an instance of the infamous “phantom braking” while passing a lorry in the middle lane. Apparently the current software is especially bad for it but it’s something that has plagued Tesla (more than other manufacturers) for years. They really need to sort that *sugar* out, it is not cool. At all.

Then I had a moment that you could only describe as a Tesla plant, if you were of the tinfoil persuasion: I decided to go to Hopwood Park services on the M42 and sit in a Supercharger bay for a few minutes just so I could play about with the screen controls a bit.

There are 16 stalls and about 4/5 were in use. I had been there about 2 minutes when a fella in a shiny Taycan drove very slowly past me, then parked in one of the bays. Bit weird, I thought.

Then he gets out of the car, looks around a bit and walks over to the car. I lowered the window and he says “Are these only for Teslas then?”
“Yes mate”
“Oh right, I’m new to all this.”

The two Ecotricity chargers that you drive past to get to the Superchargers both had i-Paces in them, and I think a queue waiting to get on them. And they’re only 50kW.

So anyway, I’m pretty smitten with the car and If I order one I will just hope it doesn’t piss a load of water into the boot or have the doors hung on backwards, etc. The recently announced changes make the interior look even better and the thicker glass should cut down road noise even more, although I thought it was decently quiet at motorway speed anyhow.

The LR is definitely sure-footed. That’s what I test drove and bought
I expect the performance is too.
The smile you end up with is common across all models :p

if you need a referral (for free supercharger miles) mine is in my profile :)

good luck!

My test drive experience was in Southampton, and I arrived 30 mins early, but that wasn't a problem.

At the time, I drove a BMW M3, so it was natural for me to compare and contrast. As I'd never driven an electric car before, the SA offered to accompany me to help with the lack on controls on the dash.

I found the car extremely easy to drive and I was reminded of the speed limit in the port and on the motorway. After a 40min drive I was sold on the car, so sold my BMW M3 and bought the Tesla M3! be warned, a test drive will probably mean an order.

Tesla plus points:
Very very quiet
Minimal running costs as virtually no servicing
2.5p/mile for fuel as we have E7 (I wired up my own Tesla charger).
Fabulous touch screen and map, that's a huge plus
Really like touch screen options
Multimedia options great
Fantastic red colour!
Good warranty

Neutral
Similar acceleration
Same size

BMW Plus Points
Head Up display
Leather and better sports seats
Better build quality overall, especially body panel tolerances
Bonnet and Boot close firmly
Had a TV!
Rear view very good, Tesla is very poor.
Adaptive lighting

I've very pleased with the Tesla purchase (I test drove a Mod3, but ordered a M3P)

Hi

I’ve got a test drive booked for Saturday.

I filled in the forms and took pictures of the driving licence as requested.

I got a message back saying all ok with some terms. I noticed one where it said if I have an accident I have to pay for it.

this makes me nervous as it’s an expensive car.

If I crash it or more importantly someone crashed into me will they really make me pay or is just standard terms?

the test drive is at Brent Cross in London and on a Saturday it gets very busy.

many thoughts

Contact YOUR insurer and ask if you're covered for a test drive since you are changing cars. I did a test drive in Florida with a (American) friend on the Model S but of course my overseas insurance didn't cover me so I just watched while he drove the thing!

Contact YOUR insurer and ask if you're covered for a test drive since you are changing cars. I did a test drive in Florida with a (American) friend on the Model S but of course my overseas insurance didn't cover me so I just watched while he drove the thing!
Yes, for peace of mind definitely see what one day cover will cost, I have done this with manufacturer test drives if not part of the test drive agreement.

(...by the way, in my experience American insurance covers the car not the driver - I regularly drive my Daughters Model X over there & we were once given a loaner Model S for 3 weeks - the Tesla Ranger took a photo of my UK license & said the car was fully covered with nothing to pay).

>>(...by the way, in my experience American insurance covers the car not the driver - I regularly drive my Daughters Model X over there & we were once given a loaner Model S for 3 weeks - the Tesla Ranger took a photo of my UK license & said the car was fully covered with nothing to pay). <<

I had a car in the USA for 12 years but in the case I mentioned we had left the country several years before and I doubt that the insurer would be that interested!