Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car did you swap for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2017 Audi A4 Prestige before my Model 3.

I do miss the little luxury touches from the well-known luxury car brands (like fully configurable ambient interior lighting, illuminated door sills, 360º camera, heated steering wheel, and hands-free trunk operation to name just a few) but AutoPilot and a 4.4 second 0-60 time help me to forget about those.

I’m hoping Tesla refines the lineup to bring it on par with the other luxury vehicles from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes at the $50k price point by the time I turn in my lease.

I drove white pickups for over 30 years. I did like the'03 Silverado LT but I needed a change and not getting rid of the'67 Coronet 440.
img_20190510_091434009-jpg.440766
img_20160521_104642789_hdr-jpg.440767

Your 67 Coronet is nice !!! Is that the original paint ?

Any reason why not go from Highlander to Model X?

Seems many already had a fuel efficient car and switched to Tesla.

Nearly exactly 1 year ago, Nothing special here, 2007 Nissan Altima V6 with 155K. Miles on it. Night and day.
I was ready for a sedan. Didn’t need a 7 passenger car anymore. The S has plenty of cargo space for my needs. Better range, faster, better ride, & more. The X has a little better tech & easier entry. The S is the most beautiful car I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: SO16 and boriszima
Technically I was driving a 2016 Mazda 3. However as it was lease and was going to be returned. I was actually looking to get either the VW GTI or the R, or the Audi S3.

Glad I went with Tesla, although I do question some of the quality/build versus the Audi.

Why? Looks like you have the performance 3 so I’m curious what you miss about the S5 that has you questioning the decision. The S5 looks like a recent model.

Yup, it was a 2018 S5 and it was a lease. I was going to return it next year. Well, the only two things that Tesla does better are 0-60 and over the air updates. However the build quality and overall fit and finish of the car, especially the interior is way behind the Audi. Don't get me wrong, I still really like the Tesla, especially since I'm a "tech" type of person, but I think it just doesn't give you the quality you would expect from a $65k car (much more in my case as I opted to finance it). I think they should have differentiated a bit more between the different trim levels. For example the "premium" interior of the Performance version over the SR one is just more speakers and some connectivity options. I would have expected a bit more, for example different materials/colors etc.

Yup, it was a 2018 S5 and it was a lease. I was going to return it next year. Well, the only two things that Tesla does better are 0-60 and over the air updates. However the build quality and overall fit and finish of the car, especially the interior is way behind the Audi. Don't get me wrong, I still really like the Tesla, especially since I'm a "tech" type of person, but I think it just doesn't give you the quality you would expect from a $65k car (much more in my case as I opted to finance it). I think they should have differentiated a bit more between the different trim levels. For example the "premium" interior of the Performance version over the SR one is just more speakers and some connectivity options. I would have expected a bit more, for example different materials/colors etc.

I traded in an Audi S5 Sportback for a Model 3 Performance and I have no regrets at all. I was tired of spending 55 bucks a week in gas and only getting about 200-220 miles because most of my commute is in car to car traffic but once you could open the S5 up it was such a great car to drive. I honestly think the M3P drives better, though. The instant torque never gets old! Going to be taking it on some mountainous roads this weekend to check the handling. Can't wait!

I completely agree with you about the interior not feeling as premium. The fit and finish of an Audi interior is much better than the Model 3 but the way that the M3 drives and the tech more than makes up for it.

Selling my 2017 Volt LT. I liked it and at the time said "this is the best car I have ever owned!"
Had looked at possibly getting a 2019 Volt Premium but GM would not deal so I thought - "Hey the Tesla is not that much more for a REAL Car" so I ordered one, but then I ordered the extras :). Got my "Source VIN" today. Getting a wrap in Calgary before delivery (I think). The Volt goes to a new owner in about 12 days. Hope to have my Model 3 by then.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
My P3D- is replacing my 93 Supra.
My first car was an 82 Supra. My god what a great car! Glad to see they have released a new design on it.

The car I replaced was a 96 Ford F150 with over 330k miles. Between gas (10-12mpg), maintenance and repairs, I was paying an average of $425 a month to maintain that truck.

Factoring in cost of charging at home, lack of maintenance and surprisingly similar insurance premiums, I am actually breaking even with my M3. I had to convince my wife of the savings inherent to Tesla, and she was still skeptical even as we pulled up to receive deliver. Now, five months later, she is beyond sold on it, and we are saving up our money to get her a Model Y to replace her '12 Rav4.

Technically, a 1998 Toyota Tacoma extended cab -- my dad bought it new, gave it to me in 2010 and I passed it along to my sister. Our M3 Duel Motor really replaced our 2008 Highlander Limited, still a nice vehicle, but with ~20 average MPG and 280k miles, it was time to retire it to second-car status (and hauling and deep snow days). I miss the easy hauling ability and the cassette deck of the truck.

Had the Tesla nearly 4 months and love it. Did the first service yesterday -- filled up the windshield fluid (I watched about a dozen YouTube videos to figure that out -- not!).

IMG_9585.JPG

2015 LEAF with a battery problem. Not the traction battery (after 45K miles, it was still full bars and had ~70 mile range), it was the 12v battery that gave me fits. Vampire drain after replacing the telematics module (when AT&T shut down their 2G cell network) made me have to jump start my EV many times and replace the battery twice in 3 years. Love my P3

2009 Audi A4 3.2 111,000.

What I lost...

The Audi handling was much more secure, it was a convertible, and the exhaust notes were really sweet.

M3 Dual Motor

What I gained....

So fast, the benefits of regenerative braking are way more than just efficiency, autopilot in stop and go on the interstate, and no more stops at the Tier 1 premium pumps.

This is the future. There is no going back.