Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car do you currently drive while waiting for the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2001 Honda Civic with 160K miles.

Personally hate depreciating assets I can't write off, so no interest in traditional luxury cars, but obsessed with tech and love what Tesla stands for. Also the biggest reason -- wifey forcing me to do it, she is tired of my employees driving nicer cars than me. Just got my VIN 2 weeks ago, super stoked. Excited that I won't need to plug in my iPhone to Aux in the aftermarket CD player I got when I as in grad school!

Seems like a majority of the people who ordered the X had humble Hybrids & ICE's as daily drivers. I'm in this camp as well! It's now 2017 and I assume everyone in this thread already has their X now. Has anyone experienced any regrets after getting the MX? Perhaps due to quality concerns, didn't meet expectations or overstretched financial budgets? Of course, no 7-passenger ICE can exceed the driving experience of a pure EV MX. I'm still debating whether to take the plunge... > $100k+ @ 6 years for a depreciable asset goes counterintuitive to my personal ethos. Hoping to get some feedback to make an informed decision. Thanks in advanced!

I think there are many posts on this subject, since I own two Tesla's you can probably guess where I stand on this issue. I have always been a car guy and have spent lots of money on a few of my cars, I also went a bit over the top on these purchases. I'm retired and probably older than you so my mantra lately has been "what are you waiting for" life is short and want to have fun and enjoy what is left. My friends understand but most of them would never spend this kind of money on a car. I love both the S and the X, will never go back to an ICE. Just went to the gas station to put $20 in my Ford F-150 and was amazed the the price for regular was $3.05, if Tesla would make a pickup I might dump my gas hog.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
Seems like a majority of the people who ordered the X had humble Hybrids & ICE's as daily drivers. I'm in this camp as well! It's now 2017 and I assume everyone in this thread already has their X now. Has anyone experienced any regrets after getting the MX? Perhaps due to quality concerns, didn't meet expectations or overstretched financial budgets? Of course, no 7-passenger ICE can exceed the driving experience of a pure EV MX. I'm still debating whether to take the plunge... > $100k+ @ 6 years for a depreciable asset goes counterintuitive to my personal ethos. Hoping to get some feedback to make an informed decision. Thanks in advanced!

No regrets since May 2016, driving it every chance I get, but since my wife does the same I end up mostly with the VW eGolf on my shorter commute lol...

I would never go back to gas, sounds like trading an iphone for a landline, not even going to consider it.

Is the Model X flawless ? No, we had to get some things adjusted once at the service center and some people dont have that issue and others have it multiple times. But everything about it is so great, I don't care. Performance and looks, the enormous windshield giving you breathtaking views of the highrises or bridges or mountains around you, the motorized front doors to open and close all doors of the car (except frunk) from the center display, biohazard air filter coming in handy when bad smells enter or emit from within the cabin, the fact that it is electric and so I never make time for visiting gas stations, oil change or smog check appointments anymore, just plug in at night and full in the morning. Then on long distance trips, 40 minute breaks do happen every 200 miles or so, superchargers add miles at the speed of more than 300 miles per hour. All wheel drive with the M+S all season tires works good in the snow, autopilot helps substantially on long distance trips to arrive safely and relaxed. Preheating the cabin in the winter even works great in the garage because no poisonous exhaust fumes, just start it from your iphone while having breakfast and come downstairs to a deiced car. There are so many things I love about this car I probably forgot half :)

We replaced our last gas car, the Honday Odyssey, which was an 8 seater with the six seat version Model X 90D last May.

Funny story, after we had replaced the Volkswagen Jetta in 2015 with the VW e-Golf, and I was driving that for a while, I got so used to the gliding ride of electric cars and the instant acceleration etc, that when I was bummed when my wife realized she likes that so much more too and was taking my eGolf all the time (she has longer commute so saves more gas was the argument). And as I drive the Honda that I used to like, I thought something was very wrong with it, to the point of taking it to the honda service center and asking about the way the brakes feel, the shaking and uneven acceleration, and the bad smells. Turns out that it was all as it was supposed to be, and they sent me home with a full tank of gas after inspecting it for a day. I gladly traded it in May 2016 for our Model X... and my wife loves it too...

We do a lot more road trips than we used to do with the Oddyssey, and dont miss the extra two seats too much in return for electric driving.

Last edited: