TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What caused this to my paint?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by KWPw3rd, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KWPw3rd

KWPw3rd New Member

#1 KWPw3rd, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
    Washed my car yesterday and noticed this "pruney" effect on the paint on the rear bumper of my car. When I rub my fingers on it, you can feel the grooves. Anyone know the cause of this and if this can be fixed? This is the first time I have ever seen this happen to a car.
    IMG_4767.jpg

2. Socal3XXXX

Socal3XXXX Member

Looks like it’s bubbling up. Idk, haven’t seen that before

• Disagree x 1
  3. Jaywlker

Jaywlker Member

I think that it is normal based on how the paint was applied. Some call it an "orange peel" application.

• Disagree x 5
  4. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

#4 electronblue, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    That ”pruning” is definitely not ”orange peel” though. This is orange peel, a much more common painting phenomenon:

[​IMG]

The Model 3 may of course have orange peel too in its general painting but I don’t think that was the question.

@KWPw3rd Is the ”pruning” something that has gotten worse over time or do you think it has always been there?

You may wish to read the other threads about Model 3 paint issues to see if they might apply to you: Paint Failure and Model 3 paint wearing off

• Like x 4
  5. ricohman

ricohman Member

This is caused by spot filler under the paint. If not allowed to cure it will do this as the solvents evaporate. And it takes very little spot filler to do this. This is not like two part body filler.
    Bumper was repaired along the line at some point. But not allowed enough time to cure.

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 5
  6. Jaywlker

Jaywlker Member

I think it is just overspray causing an orange peel effect.

• Disagree x 12
  7. Jaywlker

Jaywlker Member

I took another look and noticed that I missed the striations in the paint, ON TOP of the orange peel. No bueno! Might be that the paint was rubbed or touched while drying. Obviously NOT normal, and poor quality control.

8. KWPw3rd

KWPw3rd New Member

I got my car late March and it was definitely not there when I was doing the exterior inspection when I took delivery. I have probably washed my car 5-6 times after and just noticed it the last wash. The previous wash to that was probably a little over a month ago before I drove from LA to SF to move.

Could weather temperature have something to do with this? It has been hot (90+) the last several days and my car being black doesn't really help.

9. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

THIS.

At some point it was repainted or touched up. I'd be talking to Tesla

• Like x 3
  10. KenC

KenC Member

Maybe it was a drip line, that was repainted, but the primer underneath seems to have shrunk?

• Like x 1
  11. ricohman

ricohman Member

Nothing to do with the temp.
    It's what is underneath and I bet it's spot putty or glazing putty. I've seen it before. Sometimes you can take your fingernail and just scrape a big glob off.
    Because it seems to be in a vertical line maybe something solvent based dripped down before the color coat? But the bumper may have been painted separately so who knows.
    None of it matters as its a warranty issue for sure.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Phatman113

Phatman113 New Member

I think I'm seeing the same thing, right in the middle of my trunk lid, under where the T should be (It was debadged to put PPF on 3 days after purchase and I didn't have them put it back)
    Curious what response you get from Tesla, I haven't brought it up with them yet, since I didn't want them to just say it was caused by the PPF...

13. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

Pics

14. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

I have seen similar paint issues when drops of an organic solvent (like acetone, MEK, even gas if left on for a long time) somehow got sprinkled on body panels. I don't see any remedy other than to repaint - it cannot be fixed by buffing out. Sorry.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. RomeoT

RomeoT Member

If this is not paint workmanship defect, I don’t know what it is.

16. ricohman

ricohman Member

If this car has PPF ignore what I posted and examine that first.

17. cevM3

cevM3 Member

is it possible that the bumper flexed enough to damage the paint? Possibly tapped by another car without OP knowing?

18. KWPw3rd

KWPw3rd New Member

This exactly what they blamed it on. They blamed the installer of the PPF. Tesla said this doesn’t fall under warranty and they’re not going to repaint the bumper.

Anyone got other ideas?

19. KWPw3rd

KWPw3rd New Member

I wanted to add that a few more areas (around the picture above) on the rear bumper started to show the same effect. One even started showing under the PPF.

My suggestion to anyone who has this happen to their car should see if they got a PPF installed near the defective area. Tesla night blame the installer and you won’t get a repaint.

20. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Member

Lol. Yeah not normal at all and defiantly not orange peel.