Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The standard garage is 20x20 which will allow the Cybertruck (or an F150) to fit (albeit just barely). I never heard of anyone who thought of purchasing an F150 not purchase it because of the garage. Or you can do it the way I do and just run it under the garage door with a suitable cut out so the cable doesn't get crushed.
View attachment 485461View attachment 485462

My neighbor has a cut like that in his garage, the field mice use it to go in and out of the house.

Another thought around bikes. I’m saying there is no way adult road/mountain bikes will fit in under the “vault” without laying them sideways on top of one another. Also I hope there is a way to attach cross bars inside the base of the bed for racks.

Another thought around bikes. I’m saying there is no way adult road/mountain bikes will fit in under the “vault” without laying them sideways on top of one another. Also I hope there is a way to attach cross bars inside the base of the bed for racks.
With all the slots in the floor and sides, that should be a non-issue.

My brother's current and previous Jeeps both have/had air suspension.

In other words, I don't understand. I'm a trails guy, not an offroader. Help please?
Grand cherokees.... Has he done any real off roading in it? If so you would hear the complaints from him (issues I mentioned much earlier in this thread). Jeep went with the air as it is better for on road. And the GCs (and MB GLS/GLE that use the same) drive very well on road. All the hard core Jeep guys that won’t go with another brand who build GCs for overlanding pull out the air for Traditional springs and shocks (mostly king).

Reactions: ricohman
Don’t know if it has been mentioned but I hope they do away with the crappy air suspension. Air is ok for cars but sucks off road.

Not trying to be snarky, but how would you know? I haven't seen an off road truck with air suspension. Have you? I love the idea of cranking up to full 16", and possibly raising/lowering individual wheels rock climbing or really bad ruts.

The H1 Hummer was the only truck I've driven with 4 wheel independent suspension, and it was best off road vehicle I have ever driven.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-features-missed-details

"On the plus side, the bed does create a nice, rectangular box with no intrusive wheelwell humps. The bed floor, though, will need reworking before it goes into production. Look at the bed of any pickup truck made in the last half century, and you'll see the floor is wavy, not smooth like the Cybertruck's. It's great that you can lay a sheet of plywood or sheetrock flat in the bed of a Cybertruck, but have you ever tried to pick one up when it's lying flat on a smooth concrete floor? Those little grooves milled into the Cybertruck's bed floor won't offer any help getting your fingers under anything heavy, and between the sail panels and the lack of wheelwell humps, there's no way to go at it except from the tailgate.
Actually, they will because you can install some "bumps" in them so that the plywood will be up from the floor.

Not trying to be snarky, but how would you know? I haven't seen an off road truck with air suspension. Have you? I love the idea of cranking up to full 16", and possibly raising/lowering individual wheels rock climbing or really bad ruts.
The H1 Hummer was the only truck I've driven with 4 wheel independent suspension, and it was best off road vehicle I have ever driven.

Yes you are correct no serious off raiders have air suspension. But Many trucks have air suspension: Jeep Grand Cherokee, MB GL/ML, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg just to name a few. the problem is with the air when you increase the pressure to raise it up you also increase the effective spring rate so greatly decreasing travel and when you get near the top you lose all down travel due to hitting the bump stops. What that all means is you pretty much lose all articulation. Articulation is as least as important as ground clearance approach/brake over/departure angles. Think about it if air was superior Jeep and Rover would put it on their most capable rigs (wrangler and defender (real defender that is)) instead of their road cruisers. I off road with a couple of guys that have Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawks. One has pulled the air out the other dosnt raise it up to high except to cross streams as the cost of limited travel dosn’t outweigh the firmer ride and loss of travel. Watch a video of a grand Cherokee off road, they bounce all over the place and mostly have at least one wheel off the ground.

The first gen cayenne/toureg were very capable off road vehicles but air suspension got pulled off first thing when they got built to overland.

For adjustability Tesla should use a hydraulic and spring set up like Toyota Land Cruiser/Oshkosh/ HUMMVEE.

"On the plus side, the bed does create a nice, rectangular box with no intrusive wheelwell humps. The bed floor, though, will need reworking before it goes into production. Look at the bed of any pickup truck made in the last half century, and you'll see the floor is wavy, not smooth like the Cybertruck's. It's great that you can lay a sheet of plywood or sheetrock flat in the bed of a Cybertruck, but have you ever tried to pick one up when it's lying flat on a smooth concrete floor? Those little grooves milled into the Cybertruck's bed floor won't offer any help getting your fingers under anything heavy, and between the sail panels and the lack of wheelwell humps, there's no way to go at it except from the tailgate.

what i can't get past are no holes or gaps for water to drain out. the cutout tie downs with sharp edges are not a great idea. change them please.

Grand cherokees.... Has he done any real off roading in it? If so you would hear the complaints from him (issues I mentioned much earlier in this thread). Jeep went with the air as it is better for on road. And the GCs (and MB GLS/GLE that use the same) drive very well on road. All the hard core Jeep guys that won’t go with another brand who build GCs for overlanding pull out the air for Traditional springs and shocks (mostly king).
Yep, Grand Cherokees. Thanks for the explanation (post 190).

I've never offroaded with him, so had no concept of the reduced articulation. Makes sense, though.

Reactions: coleAK
Photoshop I received from long lost member @AnOutsider below. I like the look.

5uizlsl1.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Photoshop I received from long lost member @AnOutsider below. I like the look.

View attachment 486631

Wish I had Photoshop skillz, but this is essentially the look I'm currently going with...except British Racing Green instead of white. The only possible change would be having the entirety of the backend, after the passenger door, wrapped in black.

I'd have to see a render...but the lack of skill is holding me back.

Can you reach the vault and put items in it and take items out of it with the tailgate down. The tailgate looks very wide That would be a long reach.
Smaller items can be put in the side storage or frunk. The tailgate probably goes vertical or almost vertical in the down position (it wasn't really demonstrated very well in the reveal). Or the ramp can be extended and you can just walk up and get it.

Smaller items can be put in the side storage or frunk. The tailgate probably goes vertical or almost vertical in the down position (it wasn't really demonstrated very well in the reveal). Or the ramp can be extended and you can just walk up and get it.

Well hopefully the tailgate actually has a sturdy horizontal position for loading things on and off and supporting longer loads like every other pickup truck made in the past 80 years. They did show it going down slightly past vertical to facilitate the ramp, and I worry that if that is the only open position it will be less convenient to use like a normal pickup truck tailgate.

Its probably about 24" wide when open like other similar truck beds. You would be able to reach things at the immediate back of the truck, but yeah, it will limit how far into the truck you can reach without climbing up and in.