Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you are correct no serious off raiders have air suspension. But Many trucks have air suspension: Jeep Grand Cherokee, MB GL/ML, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg just to name a few. the problem is with the air when you increase the pressure to raise it up you also increase the effective spring rate so greatly decreasing travel and when you get near the top you lose all down travel due to hitting the bump stops. What that all means is you pretty much lose all articulation. Articulation is as least as important as ground clearance approach/brake over/departure angles. Think about it if air was superior Jeep and Rover would put it on their most capable rigs (wrangler and defender (real defender that is)) instead of their road cruisers. I off road with a couple of guys that have Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawks. One has pulled the air out the other dosnt raise it up to high except to cross streams as the cost of limited travel dosn’t outweigh the firmer ride and loss of travel. Watch a video of a grand Cherokee off road, they bounce all over the place and mostly have at least one wheel off the ground.

The first gen cayenne/toureg were very capable off road vehicles but air suspension got pulled off first thing when they got built to overland.

For adjustability Tesla should use a hydraulic and spring set up like Toyota Land Cruiser/Oshkosh/ HUMMVEE.

This is a highly debated subject in the off road world. I will say this from my own personal experience. I own a Land Rover LR3. It came with factory air suspension. After over 170k miles i have removed the air suspension in favor of Old Man Emu coil spring's.

I would say the air suspension was FAR superior off road. There was a cross link function which would mimic solid axle flex, deflating one axle to stuff it into the fender well and sending that air pressure to the side with droop, extending it as far as possible. The coil springs doesn't compare to this AT ALL. The air suspension components themselves are extremely robust, however after years of wear and tear the electronics began to cause more trouble than its worth. Because of this i swapped out to Coils, the truck is now less capable off road, but also less likely to leave to suspension less and un-able to get home.

This system however was designed and built in 2005.. i am confident Tesla can make something even more robust and durable.

How would slots make you be able to transport bikes in the upright position? Are they 6”+ deep?
You're kidding, right? The slots are so you can add attachments, such as bike racks, or bumps for carrying plywood, or hundreds of other things. To me that's a pretty nifty design. The attachments bolt to the slots, similar to garage panels with slots.

This is a highly debated subject in the off road world. I will say this from my own personal experience. I own a Land Rover LR3. It came with factory air suspension. After over 170k miles i have removed the air suspension in favor of Old Man Emu coil spring's.

I would say the air suspension was FAR superior off road. There was a cross link function which would mimic solid axle flex, deflating one axle to stuff it into the fender well and sending that air pressure to the side with droop, extending it as far as possible. The coil springs doesn't compare to this AT ALL. The air suspension components themselves are extremely robust, however after years of wear and tear the electronics began to cause more trouble than its worth. Because of this i swapped out to Coils, the truck is now less capable off road, but also less likely to leave to suspension less and un-able to get home.

This system however was designed and built in 2005.. i am confident Tesla can make something even more robust and durable.
you are correct Rover has come up with the best air suspension for off road. However it is much more complex and has major reliability issues and still dosn't have the articulation of a solid axel on springs. Go on the forums the compressors overheat under heavy off road use and are very prone to leaks. Also wasn’t great on road which is why Rover ditched it for a system similar to Jeep for the new “Disco”. And like you said most people (especially the guys building off road rigs pull it out). The old saying in Africa: if you want to get into the wilderness take a Land Rover, if you want to get home take a Patrol or Land Cruiser.

Tesla is using the same Bosch system that Chrysler/MB uses in the S/X so will probably use the Bosch one in the truck.

You're kidding, right? The slots are so you can add attachments, such as bike racks, or bumps for carrying plywood, or hundreds of other things. To me that's a pretty nifty design. The attachments bolt to the slots, similar to garage panels with slots.
Yes that is cool but what I’m saying is it would be nice if the vault could be secured/closed with bikes in it transporting upright. I see it as probably an odd too big but too small size.

you are correct Rover has come up with the best air suspension for off road. However it is much more complex and has major reliability issues and still dosn't have the articulation of a solid axel on springs. Go on the forums the compressors overheat under heavy off road use and are very prone to leaks. Also wasn’t great on road which is why Rover ditched it for a system similar to Jeep for the new “Disco”. And like you said most people (especially the guys building off road rigs pull it out). The old saying in Africa: if you want to get into the wilderness take a Land Rover, if you want to get home take a Patrol or Land Cruiser.

Tesla is using the same Bosch system that Chrysler/MB uses in the S/X so will probably use the Bosch one in the truck.

Trust me i have been on the forums, i fully understand problems they have had. I also own one. Most of the issues had been fixed with the later LR3's and LR4.

I have to disagree about why they switched. Land rover switched from body on frame (LR3, LR4) to full uni-body with a ton of aluminum, utilizing a design more in line with the new range rovers which are also uni-body, less weight, more fuel efficiency ect.. Yes it is a more road biased system by nature (the lr3 and lr4 are HEAVY) but that was done as a shift in brand image of the discovery because they knew the new defender would fill that void. I also have to say My LR3 has been extremely capable off road, it has also been one of the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned.. go figure. I am excited to see what Tesla can do with the Cybertruck!

Do any of Tesla's air suspension systems have a history of being unreliable?

Yes that is cool but what I’m saying is it would be nice if the vault could be secured/closed with bikes in it transporting upright. I see it as probably an odd too big but too small size.
You can't do it on a regular pickup either without buying a camper shell. However, it might be possible to mount some shelves on the vertical slats and store the bikes horizontally without having them touch each other.

Trust me i have been on the forums, i fully understand problems they have had. I also own one. Most of the issues had been fixed with the later LR3's and LR4.

I have to disagree about why they switched. Land rover switched from body on frame (LR3, LR4) to full uni-body with a ton of aluminum, utilizing a design more in line with the new range rovers which are also uni-body, less weight, more fuel efficiency ect.. Yes it is a more road biased system by nature (the lr3 and lr4 are HEAVY) but that was done as a shift in brand image of the discovery because they knew the new defender would fill that void. I also have to say My LR3 has been extremely capable off road, it has also been one of the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned.. go figure. I am excited to see what Tesla can do with the Cybertruck!

Do any of Tesla's air suspension systems have a history of being unreliable?
We haven’t even addressed the cold. In the cold yes, other times it seems to be better. Once it gets below -10F our MB and Jeep dealer is full of new cars with air and suspension failures. They freeze from the inside. The new Bosch system they all are using is a closed system (dosn't pull air from the outside) which lessens leaks and cold issues but then you don’t get the push pull effect of the old Rover system. And the new defender is essentially a short wheelbase New disco and you can get it from LR with 22” wheels... so not really catering to the off road purest.

You can't do it on a regular pickup either without buying a camper shell. However, it might be possible to mount some shelves on the vertical slats and store the bikes horizontally without having them touch each other.
but a regular pickup don't have the cool sliding locking vault. Just saying it would have been nice to design the storage around things that would go in there. I thought this was supposed to be truck 2.0. Not a deal breaker I’m just talking wish list. When I’m regularly hauling $25k+ in bikes enclosure would be nice but I’ve made it this long without it.

and yes the proposed storage system is cool and bikes will go in the bed vertically nicely with the vault open.

but a regular pickup don't have the cool sliding locking vault. Just saying it would have been nice to design the storage around things that would go in there. I thought this was supposed to be truck 2.0. Not a deal breaker I’m just talking wish list. When I’m regularly hauling $25k+ in bikes enclosure would be nice but I’ve made it this long without it.

and yes the proposed storage system is cool and bikes will go in the bed vertically nicely with the vault open.

I also haul a lot of bikes. Expensive bikes that I like enclosed. With a topper on my Super Duty trucks this was no problem. I assume something similar should be available for the CT.
Not a fan of slots in the bed. I can imagine them getting bent up, filled with frozen mud and ice etc.

We haven’t even addressed the cold. In the cold yes, other times it seems to be better. Once it gets below -10F our MB and Jeep dealer is full of new cars with air and suspension failures. They freeze from the inside. The new Bosch system they all are using is a closed system (dosn't pull air from the outside) which lessens leaks and cold issues but then you don’t get the push pull effect of the old Rover system. And the new defender is essentially a short wheelbase New disco and you can get it from LR with 22” wheels... so not really catering to the off road purest.

I cant speak for cold weather issues, Native Texan lol. But its a good thing Tesla already has that issues resolved. I haven't heard anyone mention this before on any forums as being a Land Rover issues.

The New Defender is an upgraded chassis called the D7X. It is much stiffer and more robust than what the discovery and range rover uses.
Also sure you can get 22's on the super expensive luxury version made to compete with the G550.. Or you can get the 18" STEEL wheels.. if thats not catering to the off road purest idk what is. very few off road manufacturer is offering steelies as an option, i think just jeep on the base wrangler. Also the Defender is said to clear 35 tires with just 1" of suspension lift...so.

Either way, The new defender price tag BASE is the same as the DM CyberTruck i reserved. No way ill be cross shopping.

I also haul a lot of bikes. Expensive bikes that I like enclosed. With a topper on my Super Duty trucks this was no problem. I assume something similar should be available for the CT.
Not a fan of slots in the bed. I can imagine them getting bent up, filled with frozen mud and ice etc.
That would be good if Tesla makes a taller topper adaptor. I’ve been using a North shore rack for the last 4 or 5 years and it is awesome for hauling four enduros. But snatch and grabs are increasing up here dramatically and having them enclosed would make me feel better.

That would be good if Tesla makes a taller topper adaptor. I’ve been using a North shore rack for the last 4 or 5 years and it is awesome for hauling four enduros. But snatch and grabs are increasing up here dramatically and having them enclosed would make me feel better.
I expect taller toppers to be third party rather than Tesla.

Off the current air suspension topic....

I am pondering the idea of having a convex curved aero foil section across the roof at the high ridge to redirect the air flow running up the flat windscreen to over the rear slope above the vault. This should improve the drag coefficient and visually ‘soften’ the sharp edge at the roof which seems ‘offensive’ to many.... The design may even grow some (small) aerofoils at each sharp edge for better drag (edge of the nose and windscreen primarily) - cheap and easily replaced. Visually these may improve the harsh edginess of the current design - Elon said stuff had to be done to reduce the drag and rounding off the s/s corners seems expensive and away from the design ethos...

If the roof aerofoil was made sturdy enough it could double up as roof rack and/or attachment point ( and protection of the roof glazing/windscreen.) of course it should be removable so that canopies/other roof attachments can still be used. It could carry high level lights too....

Separate query - if the vault was also available in 5.5 ft length (or shorter) would the wheelbase have to change to suit or could the rear wheels be left right at the back of the tray (might look odd!) - and the load weight would not be centrally over the rear wheels - a problem? It would make a shorter truck much easier to build!

Would having (removable) covers/shrouds over the rear wheels help the aero efficiency as well - and look good?

I can see endless renderings over the next couple of years as this design throws up so many options and opinions. Do we imagine the final production version to be much different as Tesla have certainly thrown this out as a concept to test the water. All Tesla models so far have been shown pretty well as they went into production (unlike most concept cars) but I have the feeling that the CT is closer to a concept car and doubt that the final version will be virtually the same.....

No. Tesla prototypes at the reveal have been very close to production. The Cybertruck won't be any different in this respect. Maybe a few interior tweaks.
I agree for the most part. That was very true for previous reveals, but the Cybertruck used for test drives was built (at least partly) on a frame. The production version is on an "exoskeleton". This was closer to a mock-up than previous prototypes. Nevertheless, I agree this is very representative of the final truck.

I agree for the most part. That was very true for previous reveals, but the Cybertruck used for test drives was built (at least partly) on a frame. The production version is on an "exoskeleton". This was closer to a mock-up than previous prototypes. Nevertheless, I agree this is very representative of the final truck.

Not going to ask for a link but why do you state that?