Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Charge Cables Are Supplied With The Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A simple question, I had my 7.5kw Rolec wall charger installed yesterday, it has a tethered cable which will be OK for most situations save when I come home late and find one of my sons parked by the charger. For such instances, I’m tempted to buy an extension, anyone got any experience with using a type 2 male to female extension?

A simple question, I had my 7.5kw Rolec wall charger installed yesterday, it has a tethered cable which will be OK for most situations save when I come home late and find one of my sons parked by the charger. For such instances, I’m tempted to buy an extension, anyone got any experience with using a type 2 male to female extension?

Blimey, it's bad enough being ICEd by someone you've never met!!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
I have three adaptors for my Tesla Mobile Connector (the one supplied with the car):

13A UK plug - supplied with the car. Max charge current 10A. Pitifully slow...

16A Commando - no longer supplied with car.* Max charge current 16A. Tesla part number: 1104947-00-A
*Charging Connectors

32A Commando - Max charge current 32A. Tesla part number: 1104948-00-B

Note the that the Mobile Connector 'knows' which adaptor is attached and limits the maximum charge current accordingly. You can adjust this in the car. You can order the two commando adaptors (£32 each) by e-mailing [email protected]. Give them your RN or VIN number, the delivery address and a phone number and they will call you and take payment over the phone.

connectors.jpg

I haven't tested the 16A Commando adaptor yet, but the 32A one definitely charges at 32A (see below, I set it at 30A), and I'm now using it whilst I wait for my Wall Connector to be installed.

32a.jpg

Last edited:
You can order the two commando plugs (£32 each) by e-mailing [email protected]. Give them the delivery address and a phone number and they will call you and take payment over the phone.

I would add that it is worth adding your order number if you haven't got the car yet or otherwise add your VIN. This is a useful post giving all the information to answer the frequent questions that we have to answer on this topic! Having the pic should help people to see what's what.

Reactions: Mark-R
Many thanks for the detailed reply, order placed.

I will probably need to find a buyer for the wall connector I've just ordered..

A wall charge point has advantages too ... the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) is really designed for portable use. It isn't intended to be left out in the driving rain so the UMC itself is best under cover. Though people can use them as their main charge point it is really intended that you carry it in your boot to provide an emergency charge option wherever you are. If you were to have to coil it up everyday (when cold and wet) and then stow it in the boot it would be a constant pain and would be dirty, messy and add unwelcome moisture to the inside of the car. However, I see that your location is the Isle of Man so I guess it's easy to predict when and where you will have to charge as you'll probably manage a few circuits of the island before running into trouble .. so maybe not vital to carry.

What sort of range per hour could one expect to add when using a 3pin charger?

Also, I’ve seen loads of posts on here about EV friendly tariffs such as Ocotpus, but how much roughly does it cost for somebody on a standard tariff with somebody like EON?

Haven’t had my home charger installed yet, have replied on free charging at work, but with the prospect of the offices closing, will need to start using home charging.

Also, I’ve seen loads of posts on here about EV friendly tariffs such as Ocotpus, but how much roughly does it cost for somebody on a standard tariff with somebody like EON?

Haven’t had my home charger installed yet, have replied on free charging at work, but with the prospect of the offices closing, will need to start using home charging.

3-pin plug Home 22 - 33 h 9 - 11 m/h
3.7kW Home / Work 14 - 21 h 15 - 18 m/h
7kW Home / Work / Public Locations 7 - 11 h 27 - 34 m/h
22kW Work / Public Locations 5 - 7 h 43 - 53 m/h
(info pinched from Pod point website for M3 charging)

Typically the Octopus cheap night rate (for 4 hours) will be about a third of most standard rates (i.e. 5p per kWh). Even with standard tariff it's cheap compared to petrol and with a low off peak rate such as Octopus it's very very cheap! It's worth getting a referral code/link for Octopus as you are then greeted with £50 into your account! There are several of us on this forum who can offer a code! ;)

Reactions: MaximusE and Roy W.

Remember that range miles per hour is very much dependent on driving conditions. We get around 8.8mph from our 10A but its only that if we got the reference 225Wh/mile on our LR AWD - say you only got 300Wh/mile, then thats really only 6.6mph and possibly even less if it was multiple short trips. An SR+ or Performance will vary too, but at end of the day, the charge rate in miles per hour is wholly governed by your average Wh/mile.

As an aside, for our Octopus 4 hour slot, I add 11% to the charge limit which normally brings us in within the 4 hour cheap rate slot - overran today by 9 minutes so no big deal if we miss once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "What connector adapters come as standard with 2021 M3P"

I don't have a supercharger on my daily commute and probably won't need it either but there is an option of ecotricity hahahahahaha yea but....
If I needed to.. does the car come with adapters or do I need to purchase some.

Also secondary question is can you all list the charging networks I should sign up to in advance to get the cards and accounts setup for emergency use til I get used to it. (First electric car) 🙈☠️🤷🏽‍♂️
I've asked this before and all I got was "all of them" well duh, who are they. I am running blind here 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
(Moderator note: Hello! I am going to move your post to a subforum which is more local to you. "What comes with the car" might be slightly different depending on what country you are in, so I am moving the post to the regional subforum closest to where your location appears to be listed)

Charlie, with CCS on a all UK Model 3 you don’t need any adaptors. You’ll struggle to find a rapid charger that doesn’t have CCS and if it’s a 7kW ‘fast’ charger, the type 2 connector is part of the CCS cluster already present in your port on the car.

also, all Superchargers have CCS. If you’ve heard discussion about CCS adaptors it relates to older a model S or X which need it to use V3 Superchargers. But don’t muddle your head with it. It doesn’t apply to you. Your good to go with any Tesla supercharger or pretty much any Public charger with what you already have.

looking at it another way you get a 7kw type 2 cable which you can use with all dedicated AC chargers but those are the slow ones you would use over night.
you also get a UMC to connector to allow you to connect to a 13 amp plug but this is very slow. The UMC used to come with a 16amp commando adaptor as well but not sure if this is still the case. you can buy one though. Can be good for places like camp sites.

As jimbo said all of the DC rapid chargers like superchargers all come with their own cable and they are all standard CCS these days.

As for networks it has changed a lot in the last year all new chargers now have to accept contactless. but there are older chargers that still require an app / account and sometimes are cheaper if you use an account. Whether you need any of them depends where you live and where you driver. Cornwall for example has a lot of GeniePoint which if old ones may need an app.
The answer is to down load Zapmap and if planning a journey where a charger involved needs an account then sign up.