Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charge port connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No no.. reread what I said (and you quoted). "It, however, does have the same signaling as J1772 for Level 1,2 charging, just like the Roadster." Single phase Mennekes should be fine (though lets hope they have a 3-phase solution by the time that becomes an issue).
Sometimes I need to read better...

The battery guy (with JB standing there) said they have looked at the Roadster charging data (+10,000,000 miles worth) and saw the 40Amps was where by-far most people are charging. So that makes sense from the perspective of what most EV owners need but as we all know, there is a lot of public that don't drive EVs that think they need charge boxes everywhere and the faster the better. They have picked a battle that requires educating the public. Not an easy task.
It really depends, since I guess that 40A is the max available, not the max people want.

If you look to Europe, you'll find that 16A or 32A is the most common, since we are simply not able to use more :)

Anyone find out how Tesla is doing the signaling for DC charging? Are they reusing the proximity or control pilot pins?
I asked... They wouldn't say...
It's possible they haven't worked out the details yet.

Looks like maybe the Betas are still doing DC charging through the trunk using a separate connector.

tesla-2011-10-03-800-18.jpg

tesla-2011-10-03-800-17.jpg

(Note the cables in that rear left pocket. Pics from Tesla Model S test ride - Engadget Galleries.)

Alpha:
socket2.jpg

(TEG's photo)

It's just the middle of the bell curve. Of course there are exceptions. I too have done the crazy cross country non stop 18 hour drives in an ICE and charged my EV in crazy places i wish would fill my batteries faster. Those stories are the minority. No one car can fill up everyone's needs.

Sometimes I need to read better...

It really depends, since I guess that 40A is the max available, not the max people want.

If you look to Europe, you'll find that 16A or 32A is the most common, since we are simply not able to use more :)

JB Straubel told me, that the 10kW charger (40A) fills even the biggest pack through the night and consider this as being enough. For quicker charge, there is a second 10kW charger as option, but you need a wallbox.
For long distance rides, tesla will setup a charging network using 9x 10kW charger in a external DC setting, charging within 45min to 80% SOC

I guess that's a question I have, if you opt for the second charger, will there be a second charge port on the other side and you'll use 2 L2 EVSE's or will they simply push more current through the main connector? If there will be two plugs then that could be an option for those who want the charge port on the right side.

I guess that's a question I have, if you opt for the second charger, will there be a second charge port on the other side and you'll use 2 L2 EVSE's or will they simply push more current through the main connector? If there will be two plugs then that could be an option for those who want the charge port on the right side.

The best would be if there is a port on both sides (perhaps optional), but you only need one even for 2*10 KW AC...

JB Straubel told me, that the 10kW charger (40A) fills even the biggest pack through the night and consider this as being enough. For quicker charge, there is a second 10kW charger as option, but you need a wallbox.
For long distance rides, tesla will setup a charging network using 9x 10kW charger in a external DC setting, charging within 45min to 80% SOC
Yeah, the DC story is clear.

But you know, 10 kW AC in europe is not possible without 3 phase support :) Again, I'm not persuing 44 kW charging with AC. 10 kW is indeed enough for a overnight charge.

Yeah, I was also told that one port would feeds both charger boxes. Yes, having two ports so you could run two cables (one to each charger) would offer some charging options not available with only one. Remember the old Jaguars with the gas filler holes on both sides?
DSCN0240.JPG

OK, thats what I understood.... and I think that rules out the Model S for many in the UK until we get support for CHAdeMO or an extensive fast charge Tesla network.

Because specific adapters haven't been announced yet? It will take some time until Model S will be sold in the UK, and while in the US there aren't any fast chargers yet (except maybe a handful), a CHAdeMO adapter will likely be asked for in the US as well. (It will also still take a while until Nissan brings the less expensive $10k charger to Europe and the US, since they want to start in Japan.)

with 2x10kW = 2x7,2kW with 32A = 14,4kW

This assumes you have two charge ports and you can feed the on board chargers with different phases. I don't think they can work independent of each other, so you are limited to one phase.

Latest residential electric installations in Germany are 3phase 240V with 3x50Amps fuse ("Hausanschlusssicherung"). The cabling is rated for 63 amps and you can upgrade to 63amp fuses but they charge you for that. All legacy installations (back to WW2) have 3x63 amps without extra charge (so, utilities found a new way to generate money for nothing).
Basic thing is, you will blow one of that fuses if your house is using one of them and at the same time you max it out charging your EV. To get on the safe side, I would draw 34 amps at most from the 50 amp installation, and 47 amps at most from the 63 amp installation. This gives 8.2kW/11.3kW for the AC charger and a remaining max power of 3.6kW (tea water boiler) for that phase. AND it is in violation of electric code that limits single phase load to 32A/7.7kW.
So you may come close to that 10kW of the on board charger or even use a little bit of the optional second one, but it is illegal and you are prone to black out your house.
Call that a customer friendly solution based on charging data? For a car that will cost >55k Euro ($74k) and is promoted to be the best sedan in its class, beating every ICE?

Viable solutions I see:
- a connector capable of 3 phase, 32A and an on board 22kW charger, or
- a wall box with 3phase 240Vx326A input and 22kW DC output (with Tesla plug & DC charger protocol) for home charging, or
- a similar mobile device, perhaps limited to 11kW for reasonable weight and size, or
- a really quick roll out (mid-2013) of the Tesla fast DC charger network.

sorry long post.

Last edited: