Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charge port connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is still way too early in the evolution of the electric car for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this thread. However I am concerned about who is Beta (twice the quality) and who is VHS, or who is blue ray versus HD DVD. I however think that we are talking laser disk versus DVD.

The electrical engineer who is working on the chargers told me that they are working on adaptors for both J1772 and CHadoMo. He specifically did not promise they would be supplied. He strongly indicated that car owners might get adaptors from third party vendors. I speculate this was to avoid potential liability issues if they don't make it perfect.

While I agree on this "if" (at least to a large degree), I otherwise think Tesla's connector is a significant improvement in terms of facilitating customer acceptance outside the enthusiast/early-adaptor group. We'll be living with these technologies for a long time, and just as Nissan and GM decided not to use the Roadster connector, I think it is the right decision for Tesla to their superior all-in-one connector.
Tesla never released the Roadster connector, it was never standardized. So nobody was able to use it :) As a Roadster owner you couldn't even get your hands on one unless you bought a whole new charging cord.

Foremost, for electric cars with a range of the Model S, it is absolutely the right thing, outside home/office charging, to focus on DC fast charging below 1 hour. You appear to mention this only in passing, and that is where in my opinion you are missing the point.
We are really going to keep disagreeing on this point ;-) (See my comments below on the next quote)

- With 10 kW, theModel S Level 2 charging is still 3x the Leaf, and 1.5x the Ford Focus and future Leaf. Level 2 stations currently installed have mostly 7 kW only.

- I cannot say anything about whether every EV should have 19.2 kW charging since I don't know the cost factor and other implications it would have. However there isn't an existing 19 KW network of significant coverage, and while I respect the community efforts being made, they don't seem to be something Tesla could rely on for future mass-market cars.

Let me shed some light on my situation, as a European. I drive a lot, long distances through different countries. I'm convinced it is possible with a Model S without DC charging (although I really like 50/90kW charging!). When I'm driving around I usually have various stops of multiple hours.

DC charging won't be needed, but higher power L2 will. I don't want to make this a "3-phase discussion" again, so I'll try to stay away from that. But simple fact is, we'll be limited to 16A single-phase in MOST of the times when the Model S will be sent to Europe the way it was presented.

I take the ferry to the UK quite often, onboard the ferry they offer 3x16A (11kW) or 3x32A (22kW) charging. The trip is about 5 ~ 7 hours (depends on the line I take), so with 11kW I could reach a high SoC. I won't be fully depleted when I get there.

When I'm in the UK I'll arrive at my hotel and charge there again, but that hotel could easily be about 400km from the ferry. A overnight charge with higher power (~10kW) would get me filled up for the next day.

Sure, I could visit a fast charging station with 90kW the next day and not charge at the hotel. But I would be wasting 45 min there while my car could have charged overnight. What's the point for the fast charger there?

The next day I play my tournament and drive back to the ferry and charge on the ferry again. This way I did a +/- 1000km trip in about 36 hours without using a fast charger, only using Level 2 charging at the points where I was for a few hours.

- Level 2 connector: I'd prefer using Tesla's connector at home and for the UMC, and don't mind an adapter for the few cases where I might use one elsewhere (currently can't think of any, knowing my previous ICE driving habits). I would in fact have had no use for external Level 2 charging, other than overnight, in my whole life. This may be easily be different for Leaf and Volt owners with their much smaller ranges.
Here it really depends on what your intentions you have with the Model S.

I live on a "remote" location, so whenever I need to go somewhere I'm looking at a at least 300km round-trip. Possible with the Model S, but also when I'm driving at 130 ~ 140km/h with A/C or heater on? Could be though :)

- using 50 kW CHAdeMO: good point, although in the US none exists yet, and Tesla so far does not have much catch up to do. ANother question is if Nissan is fine with Tesla cars using CHAdeMo chargers (they might have conditions not seen favorable by Tesla). However, with Tesla building a 90 kW network, I consider this of secondary importance. Personally, I would welcome Nissan or other car companies using the Tesla connector for future 90 kW capable cars, though, and them building a joint network of 90 kW. AGain, given the capability of the Model S, a 50 kW network does not seem all that interesting for Model S owners.
Here we are seeing the difference between Europe and the US again. In Europe the CHAdeMo chargers are "popping" out of the ground. I want to be able to use them, even at 50kW. 50kW is better than 0kW, isn't it?

I won't be arriving fully depleted at these stations and I probably do not need to leave with a 100% SoC all the time. I might just only need 25kWh to get to my destination. That would mean a 30 min charge at 50kW, fine with me! With the WiFi access point probably being available in the Model S I could kill some time by working my way through my INBOX or spamming at this forum.

Tesla should not be dictating how or where we charge the car. The world is divers, so many different parts of the world where various conditions ask for other charging habits/methods. The car should not limit you in that, it should support the driver/owner in the best way to get the maximum out of the car.

I just want to get rid of my ICE!

Except for the DC ability, Tesla's connector is also J1772 electrically. So if that doesn't matter, then what matters? Or did you not know that?
In Europe the cable that connects the Charging Station to the car is the 'adapter'. So most people will be using the Mennekes-to-J1772 cable, Mennekes-to-Roadster cable, Mennekes-to-Mennekes cable, and possibly in the future Mennekes-to-Model_S cable. This works just fine because everyone is using the same communications protocol and standard electrical systems, so it's just a simple mechanical issue.

The first problem with the Tesla Model S connector in Europe is the lack of 3-Phase support. Now as an American you may not give a damn about 3-Phase, but for the people in mainland Europe this is a BIG issue because it restricts the Model S to 16A (maybe 32A) 1-Phase charging in the vast majority of locations. Think about this for a minute.... can you see the Model S being used on road-trips if it can only charge at 16A?

The second problem with the Tesla Model S connector in Europe is the proprietary DC interface that prevents the car from using the CHAdeMO DC Infrastructure that is on the ground. Now I understand that people here believe that Tesla will develop a CHAdeMO adaptor or license third parties to build one, but I'm surprised they have not already done this and announced such a plan at the beta event... IMO it's just more likely that they believe they can build a proprietary DC Infrastructure for a few million dollars... and that's where I will sit back and watch with interest.

If the Model S supported 3-Phase and CHAdeMO today I would have been one of the first UK drivers of the Signature Series. I was looking forward to completing record breaking End to End, London to Edinburgh, and Gumball 3000, and continuing to promote Tesla as I do every day of the week. Unfortunately for me, the current charging options offered on the Model S simply make many of these events impossible when the car launches here.

In Europe the cable that connects the Charging Station to the car is the 'adapter'. So most people will be using the Mennekes-to-J1772 cable, Mennekes-to-Roadster cable, Mennekes-to-Mennekes cable, and possibly in the future Mennekes-to-Model_S cable. This works just fine because everyone is using the same communications protocol and standard electrical systems, so it's just a simple mechanical issue.
For the people across the pond:

GEM_3385.JPG

Here you see how we connect. There is no cable coming out of the charging station, we plug a cable into the station and into the car. Here we created our own Mennekes<>Roadster cable. Later this will be a Mennekes<>ModelS cable, not such a big deal. (Except for the 3-phase ;-) )

Putting a wet muddy cable in my clean car is not acceptable.
David Peilow and I recently found a HPC cable covered in oil, and the last HPC site I visited had the cable in the dirt by the side of the road. Personally, I like having the cable under my control and have no problem wiping it down before putting it in the car (as I do now with my Roadster cables).

David Peilow and I recently found a HPC cable covered in oil, and the last HPC site I visited had the cable in the dirt by the side of the road. Personally, I like having the cable under my control and have no problem wiping it down before putting it in the car (as I do now with my Roadster cables).

The woman in the fancy white dress will not like this.

Barrier to adoption.

Just theft (for copper) and vandalism makes me think the "carry your own cable" solution is better. Plus, with different vehicles needing socket adapters now, having the cable be the adapter makes sense. But I think that "train has left the station" in the USA, and we will likely continue to have a shared cable left as part of the EVSE. Roadster owners are probably more touchy than most about needing to carry their own cables just due to lack of storage space.

The German automakers are endorsing the SAE combo plug.

German Automakers Endorse a Unified Standard for D.C. Fast-Charging - NYTimes.com

I was interviewed for the story, and voiced my dislike of the SAE monstrosity. Obviously, the Tesla plug is much nicer. Even CHAdeMO seems better.
It can't be the SAE combo plug as it supports three phase, it must be the Mennekes combo plug...
Right, like I said before, the Europeans have their own Mennekes combo plug that will use the same signaling as the SAE J1772 combo plug. (This announcement just confirms that.) It seems to me Tesla will also use the SAE signaling, so I wouldn't be so concerned about the DC side of things. If CHAdeMO to SAE adapters become popular, a CHAdeMO to Tesla DC adapter can use the signal translation electronics.

Tesla has a year after the US Model S launch to get things right for the European market. I sincerely hope and expect they're have a 3-phase solution (i.e. connector) by then. I just think it's unnecessary to have a different connector in different markets when you could have one that does it all. Four smaller pins of diameter D have the same contact area of two larger pins of diameter 2D.

Tesla never released the Roadster connector, it was never standardized. So nobody was able to use it :) As a Roadster owner you couldn't even get your hands on one unless you bought a whole new charging cord.

That's perhaps simply because they didn't want to encourage people playing with fire... but perhaps Tesla was already anticipating the need for something including DC.

Let me shed some light on my situation, as a European.
DC charging won't be needed, but higher power L2 will.

I've lived long enough in Germany, and travelled all over western Europe, both driving and with others, to know that your statement about DC is not true. Not at all. That's a case where one says "it's not even wrong". Using a ferry is certainly not a typical thing, even if some may do it regularly. As long as you are dismissive about DC to that degree, there is really no point in arguing about anything related to charging.

Tesla never released the Roadster connector, it was never standardized. So nobody was able to use it :) As a Roadster owner you couldn't even get your hands on one unless you bought a whole new charging cord...

At the factory tour, someone from Tesla told me it was because they were worried about a shortage of components. Apparently there was only one vendor providing parts, and they only agreed to provide enough for Tesla's direct needs. They said if others tried to use those same parts it could have caused a supply problem for them. At least that was the story that was fed to me.