Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What charge rates are you observing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your 30-mile average watt-hours per mile say (during this particular charge session)?

fiksegts, it's important to know the answer to this.

Software version 4.x (I'm guessing you're running 4.something) adjusts its MPH charge rate based on your projected miles (aka average watt-hours per mile) when set to display Rated (so this sounds like a bug to me).

As long as you're showing 240v, 40 amps, you're fine. The MPH charge rate is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like it is working normally. If you don't drive much and your standard charge is nearly full then I think the rate starts to slow down near the top.

Model S doesn't do this (for standard mode charges).
Edit: Plus he stated 240/40, so it clearly wasn't tapering.

fiksegts, it's important to know the answer to this.

Software version 4.x (I'm guessing you're running 4.something) adjusts its MPH charge rate based on your projected miles (aka average watt-hours per mile) when set to display Rated (so this sounds like a bug to me).

As long as you're showing 240v, 40 amps, you're fine. The MPH charge rate is irrelevant.

Are you sure about this? What time period of average watt-hours do you think it uses? I can certainly test this, but my gut tells me it doesn't hold true for me.

Slurping at 3 miles per hour at work:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358887579.924632.jpg

Should top off by the time I leave.

Are you sure about this? What time period of average watt-hours do you think it uses? I can certainly test this, but my gut tells me it doesn't hold true for me.

As sure as I can be without seeing the source code. If my 30-mile average whpm is high, I observe rates like 18 MPH (2 hours into the charging session). The next day when I have a more reasonable whpm, I observe rates like 25 MPH. Same voltage and amperage.
This is all since 4.0. There's a mismatch between that calculation and the rated/ideal setting (which used to be projected/rated -- so it feels like the code doing the math never got changed away from doing projected to doing rated when that switch is in the left-most position). Doing the math with respect to whpm and how that would affected the MPH charge rate works out, too.
I covered this in more detail in another thread (too lazy to find it :smile:) but I've been closely observing this (I'll leave it up to everyone here how I'm doing that) just about every day.
Right now I'm at 19 MPH with a high whpm from the 20F temps for this evening's commute home.

Edit: in case you didn't run 3.x before, 3.x used to show projected MPH charge exactly like it is now with that switch to the left (which used to be projected/rated). I think they forgot to update this bit of code with the 4.x update.

As sure as I can be without seeing the source code. If my 30-mile average whpm is high, I observe rates like 18 MPH (2 hours into the charging session). The next day when I have a more reasonable whpm, I observe rates like 25 MPH. Same voltage and amperage.
This is all since 4.0. There's a mismatch between that calculation and the rated/ideal setting (which used to be projected/rated -- so it feels like the code doing the math never got changed away from doing projected to doing rated when that switch is in the left-most position). Doing the math with respect to whpm and how that would affected the MPH charge rate works out, too.
I covered this in more detail in another thread (too lazy to find it :smile:) but I've been closely observing this (I'll leave it up to everyone here how I'm doing that) just about every day.
Right now I'm at 19 MPH with a high whpm from the 20F temps for this evening's commute home.

Edit: in case you didn't run 3.x before, 3.x used to show projected MPH charge exactly like it is now with that switch to the left (which used to be projected/rated). I think they forgot to update this bit of code with the 4.x update.

But what time period do you think it's using to figure the average? My rate seems to be very consistent, while my driving is not. I'm seeing the same charging rate whether my whpm is 320 (nominal), 380 (very aggressive driving), or 280 (road trip).

But what time period do you think it's using to figure the average? My rate seems to be very consistent, while my driving is not. I'm seeing the same charging rate whether my whpm is 320 (nominal), 380 (very aggressive driving), or 280 (road trip).

Sorry, meant to indicate 30 miles from my "If my 30-mile average ..." comment.
Do you have yours set to show rated or ideal? What's your typical rate at 240/40?

I was delivered with 4.0

Having said that, today I drove like a crazy person and finally see a difference. I am getting 26mi/hr.

Is your 30 mile average whpm significantly higher than 310?

I am starting to wonder if this is a problem for cars that have been upgraded from pre-4.0 where that button USED to be projected in the left-most setting.

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting 23 miles/hr rated range added at 240V/40A

Version you were delivered with? 30-mile WHPM?
Can I assume you waited 30+ minutes before taking a miles/hr charge reading (takes a while to settle in)?

This was with 1.19.42 (V 4.2). Not sure if I waited long enough so will wait until I've driven longer so a longer charge is needed.

OK -- but separate question -- what version was the car delivered with. (this is along the thoughts of "maybe it's a bug only with cars that were upgraded from 3.x to 4.x vs. built with 4.x")