Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What could Tesla give SR+ buyers to differentiate it from the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's in my signature. SR+, black on black, aeros. Delivered March 26th. I'm in the same boat as you two guys. I would be elated if Tesla threw us a bone and software unlocked some things, but I'm really happy with my car regardless. I count myself really lucky to be a Tesla owner at all, and I feel like the price I paid was more than fair.
You must have “Eff You” money if you don’t care that people who ordered AT THE SAME TIME AS US are getting the same car for thousands of dollars less. Except without fog lights and 20 less miles on a charge.

We got hosed, man! It’s okay, you can be upset...doesn’t mean you hate our car, it just makes you human like the rest of us.

Reactions: Legen---dary
You must have “Eff You” money if you don’t care that people who ordered AT THE SAME TIME AS US are getting the same car for thousands of dollars less. Except without fog lights and 20 less miles on a charge.

We got hosed, man! It’s okay, you can be upset...doesn’t mean you hate our car, it just makes you human like the rest of us.

I love the SR+ a lot, but the experience of being hosed so badly has put a massive damper on my Tesla evangelism.
It's either refund, then somehow try to claw back the tax difference (undoubtedly a nightmare), or see that there's enough of a difference between the SR and SR+ to make it worth keeping. As it stands, the SR+ is definitely not worth keeping.

Y'all understand that your frustration has arisen because of Tesla's transparency, right?

If it was a normal dealership, there are two possibilities:
1. You're the world's best negotiator, and you always get a much better price on the car you're buying than anybody else does. (So, basically, you'd be happy but everyone else would be here posting in this thread.)
2. You're not the world's best negotiator, and someone else got a much better price on the exact same car you bought -- forget about the 20 miles and fog lights and whatnot -- the exact same one.

The difference with Tesla is, you know about it.

Y'all understand that your frustration has arisen because of Tesla's transparency, right?

If it was a normal dealership, there are two possibilities:
1. You're the world's best negotiator, and you always get a much better price on the car you're buying than anybody else does. (So, basically, you'd be happy but everyone else would be here posting in this thread.)
2. You're not the world's best negotiator, and someone else got a much better price on the exact same car you bought -- forget about the 20 miles and fog lights and whatnot -- the exact same one.

The difference with Tesla is, you know about it.

I respectfully disagree ammulder, but I want to believe :) They were in fact rather opaque about the fact that the SR is the SR+. Had they been transparent I'd not be going through all this aggravation, and have simply bought the SR with AP and called it a day.

I do get your point though, that Tesla shows their prices, and those prices apply to all (apart from negotiated deals for demos etc.).

It seems to be a one-off problem. Selling 2 'different' car types on the same day, for the same price, as transparently advertised, when in fact there was only one car type.

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I just saw in the other thread you said you wished you'd gotten the LR -- and also that you're outside the return window. That's a bummer.

Yeah. I used to be one of those crazed, religious-level, Tesla supporters.

I had the chance to get a used LR, with only 80km on it, white, with AP and upgraded wheels, for a few thousand more than what I paid for the SR+. At the time I didn't care about wasting money to help Tesla, and also doing everything possible to buy before Q1 ended, so I did.

Looking back, I not only regret not getting the LR due to the way the SR/SR+ controversy is playing out, but it would have been nice to have the much better sound system, much higher charging rate (mine tops at 101/102kW), and of course that juicy range! :)

AP is a must, but from what I've seen, FSD is still not yet in that category, though I'm sure it will be eventually.

Whatever you get though, you'll love the Model 3. It's such a fun car to drive that I find every excuse to go out and hit the road, ruin friends etc. Just wish the company was as good as the cars they make.

I think Tesla can give you an option to downgrade to SR and get your $ back.

I hope so :(. I've made countless calls and sent many emails, but so far, no new info.

Maybe they'll make the SR+ better somehow so it's not almost a clone of the SR. Guess we'll see what happens over the next month. The best outcome would be for Tesla to keep the money, but make the + somehow better than it is.

So I'm in the group that purchased an SR+ and took delivery on 3/29, only to find the same car is now available as their base model for $1000 less. There are a lot of good points here in this thread and the fact that the pricing is so transparent is part of the frustration.
I reached out to Tesla just to see if any allowances could be made for my situation and I got the standard "price fluctuations are expected and after final delivery no adjustments/refunds would be provided mumbo jumbo.

It would have been nice to have been offered any of the following just so I didn't feel I came out empty handed seeing as most of these would not have been a significant expense to Tesla:
1) apply the $1000 towards a FSD Autopilot purchase
2) 1000 miles of free supercharging
3) Tesla shop coupon

I still love my car. I'm hoping in the future we will be given the option to upgrade a la carte for a fee some of the disabled features of the car like the premium connectivity for streaming/traffic. In hindsight I kind of wish I bought the Mid-range model last year as I believe I still would have been able to get the $7500 tax credit which would have paid for the price difference between the SR+ and the MR and that would have included the premium interior.

• Love
So I'm in the group that purchased an SR+ and took delivery on 3/29, only to find the same car is now available as their base model for $1000 less. There are a lot of good points here in this thread and the fact that the pricing is so transparent is part of the frustration.
I reached out to Tesla just to see if any allowances could be made for my situation and I got the standard "price fluctuations are expected and after final delivery no adjustments/refunds would be provided mumbo jumbo.

It would have been nice to have been offered any of the following just so I didn't feel I came out empty handed seeing as most of these would not have been a significant expense to Tesla:
1) apply the $1000 towards a FSD Autopilot purchase
2) 1000 miles of free supercharging
3) Tesla shop coupon

I still love my car. I'm hoping in the future we will be given the option to upgrade a la carte for a fee some of the disabled features of the car like the premium connectivity for streaming/traffic. In hindsight I kind of wish I bought the Mid-range model last year as I believe I still would have been able to get the $7500 tax credit which would have paid for the price difference between the SR+ and the MR and that would have included the premium interior.

Same. I for one didn’t have the $7k at the time of purchase to get the additional 70 miles and AWD. Heck, I didn’t even need a new car but I wasn’t sure what to do with all that money lying around so I did LOL. But it was all gone with SR Plus! Now, outside of this massive 2300 mile road trip, I’ll perhaps never drive that car for more than 20 miles a day so I don’t regret the long range but AWD could have been nice given the slightly better 0-60 mph.

But I was disappointed with the new pricing tier that went into effect literally six days after delivery and they refused to return $1k flat out.

Looks like they’re giving all former S and X purchasers a FREE $20K LUDICROUS MODE UPGRADE if they buy a new S or X...but I can’t get a partial refund to downgrade from the SR+ to SR (like their blog says we can).

The irony...

I love my car...but I will NEVER buy another Tesla until they can figure out how to run their business.

Can’t say “well, us SR+ owners got screwed because we’re early adopters” and then offer a free $20K upgrade to early adopters...it’s so hypocritical.

Looks like they’re giving all former S and X purchasers a FREE $20K LUDICROUS MODE UPGRADE if they buy a new S or X...but I can’t get a partial refund to downgrade from the SR+ to SR (like their blog says we can).

The irony...

I love my car...but I will NEVER buy another Tesla until they can figure out how to run their business.

Can’t say “well, us SR+ owners got screwed because we’re early adopters” and then offer a free $20K upgrade to early adopters...it’s so hypocritical.

I understand your frustrations and you can keep complaining directly to Tesla till your satisfied to get the downgrade. But please keep Model S and X owners out of your rant. They get free ludicrous upgrade if they buy a whole new car! They have to be previous owners and get a new car. Also switching on ludicrous won't cost them much money as it's just flipping a software switch for them. Their purchases supported Tesla much more than a SR+ as the margins we're huge and that cash made the Model 3 a reality. The Model 3 had largely eclipsed the S in tech and features and this update is well deserved for them. Just be mindful of others as your just making the complaining seem like you are the only victim for Tesla's past mistakes.

Last edited:
The only one getting ripped off is Tesla. The model 3 is too good to be sold for under $40,000.

But I get it. Things have been changing so quick. So if I could ask Tesla to improve my SR+ with an upgrade I’d probably want the speakers unlocked for better sound. The problem is all the Standard Range cars plus or not are under the plus name. So in their system I’m sure they just see SR+ cars now. Doing an update to people who paid for SR+ would be complicated now.
I don’t mind though. It is what it is. The car is great. I think very few would argue that. The more people that enjoy them, the more that see them and like them the faster everything accelerates forward. I think you’ve invested in the wrong company if you want a stagnant old school business plan. This will continue to be a wild ride. Always has been.

Imagine if Apple announced a product that would simultaneously charge a phone and a watch, and gave it a name and showed pictures, and gave a date for when you could buy it. Then imagine the date slipped, but there were still references to the product found in their code and it was still mentioned on their site... until one day, much later, they announced that it would never be released after all, because they just couldn’t get it to work as desired.

Nobody’s immune to plans going awry.
I disagree. Apple was literally trying to create something that was impossible to create according to engineers...and during the keynote it was a sneak peak at something that was being delivered in the following year.

If Apple had posted Airpower for sale on their website, available within two weeks, took preorders, then shipped another product...that would be an issue.

Creating cloth seats on the SR and taking orders to be delivered in two weeks isn’t “impossible” tech like Apple was dealing with AirPower.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Has anyone successfully downgraded their SR+ to an SR?

I emailed and they replied that they can submit the request to get the process started...but I’m honestly afraid of getting downgraded and not getting a refund.

Or what the SR officially comes with.

• Love
Maybe they'll make the SR+ better somehow so it's not almost a clone of the SR. Guess we'll see what happens over the next month. The best outcome would be for Tesla to keep the money, but make the + somehow better than it is.

I honestly do not understand this mentality. Regardless of what anyone else bought or what they paid for it, you purchased a product that, at the time, you thought was a reasonable value for the price. While you're certainly allowed to change your mind or re-evaluate your actions, as long as you received what you paid for you have only yourself to be upset with if you no longer think the value was worth the price. Someone else getting a better deal or a similar product at a better price has no bearing at all on your transaction.

Just because you don't think the two models are different enough doesn't mean that Tesla needs to change anything. It just means you're regretting your purchase, it happens to everyone at some point or another. The frequency with which Tesla changes prices and features makes this more probable with their cars but it is no different from buying anything else in any other industry.

I honestly do not understand this mentality. Regardless of what anyone else bought or what they paid for it, you purchased a product that, at the time, you thought was a reasonable value for the price. While you're certainly allowed to change your mind or re-evaluate your actions, as long as you received what you paid for you have only yourself to be upset with if you no longer think the value was worth the price. Someone else getting a better deal or a similar product at a better price has no bearing at all on your transaction.

Just because you don't think the two models are different enough doesn't mean that Tesla needs to change anything. It just means you're regretting your purchase, it happens to everyone at some point or another. The frequency with which Tesla changes prices and features makes this more probable with their cars but it is no different from buying anything else in any other industry.
I don’t understand how you can’t realize that 99% of SR+ owners would gladly have bought the SR for $2K less if they only difference was removing the fog lights and 10% less range...

Most SR+ owners feel cheated since the SR and SR+ are basically the same car but we paid $2K more for no reason whatsoever.