Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did people who attended the Tesla/Solar City event think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Other than the traffic problem inside Universal Studios causing many people to miss the entire speech, I thought the actual event was their best so far. The number of tables to sit down at, the porches people could relax on and the food was really good. A much more relaxing environment and less crowded than ones in the past where everyone was standing up and food was scarce. Oh, and bacon Mac and Cheese.

Reactions: ModelX
First Tesla event I have need to. I enjoyed the food and drinks but having never been to a previous Tesla event I have no baseline to compare to. The solar roofs were impressive in person and it was really nice to see the model 3 prototype in person. The highlight was definitely seeing Elon Musk in person giving the talk. I also got to see Franz von Holzhausen in person. There were several VIP areas I didn't have access to. Parking was crazy but it was nice to roll by the Universal Studios trams with a long procession of Tesla. I finally got to go to a Tesla event which may me really happy of course.

Product great.. hopefully the next house I build will get these panels

Food eh...

The 3 event food and alcohol was way better
I was at the Model 3 event and remember mostly cheese and crackers. There was some other food but far too little of it and gone quickly. They had food (beef sliders, mac and cheese, salad, rice crispy treats, apple pie..etc) the entire evening. Not sure what the difference in alcohol was but seemed same to me.

Just curious as to how you guys got invites? Early adopters, press, VIP's?
I got an invite but wasn't able to make the event after the time change. (Unless you have the day off how can you get anywhere in LA by 5:30PM on a Friday?) I live in LA and went to the gigafactory opening. They probably limited the invites to people in the LA area since they sent them out at the last minute (then changed the start time).

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
I wasn't there but watching the video it seemed like Musk was told a minute before the presentation that he was gonna have to talk. He kinda looked like he was coming off a bender. Love the guy though, wish I could get my roof now.

I wasn't there but watching the video it seemed like Musk was told a minute before the presentation that he was gonna have to talk. He kinda looked like he was coming off a bender. Love the guy though, wish I could get my roof now.
If by "bender" you mean working nonstop with no sleep, then yes he was likely coming off a "bender"

I was at the Model 3 event and remember mostly cheese and crackers. There was some other food but far too little of it and gone quickly. They had food (beef sliders, mac and cheese, salad, rice crispy treats, apple pie..etc) the entire evening. Not sure what the difference in alcohol was but seemed same to me.
The 3 event had top shelf alcohol lol.. i think i had johnny black, grey goose, and something else... who knows... the sampler foods was a bit better but i guess these are personal preferences.

However i did like the universal location and the atmosphere felt like it was at a getaway. The ice cream was great.

The parking sorta killed the night. I missed the whole speech part. Got there right after.

Other than the traffic problem inside Universal Studios causing many people to miss the entire speech, I thought the actual event was their best so far. The number of tables to sit down at, the porches people could relax on and the food was really good. A much more relaxing environment and less crowded than ones in the past where everyone was standing up and food was scarce. Oh, and bacon Mac and Cheese.

Totally agree. Great venue, plenty of good food, not crowded for a Tesla event, and music wasn't too loud. Valet parking took forever to get my car back. But overall, one of the best run Tesla events I've been to.

It was definitely one of the better run events...

Ended up reserving a few powerwall 2s... the catering was top-notch...

I wrote an article on my blog.

We arrived right around 4pm and we're one of the earliest ones to park, so valet wait wasn't bad.

Hi Dennis,

I missed you at the Tesla event, I was hoping to run into you. I did meet Jameson (also from OC Tesla) who was covering the event for Electrek and chatted with him for a while. I am interested in getting a Powerwall but what kind of business case can I present to my wife? We have the SCE EV Time of Use so the only purpose I can think of is a power backup during a blackout. We currently only have 1 Tesla Model S to charge up at night. Any other good potential uses for the Powerwall in my situation that you can think of? I already have solar panels from Verengo so won't be doing the Solar Roof anytime soon although it does truly look amazing.

Hi Dennis,

I missed you at the Tesla event, I was hoping to run into you. I did meet Jameson (also from OC Tesla) who was covering the event for Electrek and chatted with him for a while. I am interested in getting a Powerwall but what kind of business case can I present to my wife? We have the SCE EV Time of Use so the only purpose I can think of is a power backup during a blackout. We currently only have 1 Tesla Model S to charge up at night. Any other good potential uses for the Powerwall in my situation that you can think of? I already have solar panels from Verengo so won't be doing the Solar Roof anytime soon although it does truly look amazing.

@Bruin1996

I'm almost in the same situation as you (except with Real Goods Solar) for the PowerWall 2... No real business case except for backup for most of it. My wife was good for the whole house backup justification however, so don't really need to "sell it internally."

However, I intend on using the energy stored on the battery (which I plan to recharge on the super off-peak) during peak times. Therefore shifting costs from $0.44 per kWh in the Peak to $0.13 in the Super Off-Peak (assuming that we are able to do that.) However, when the solar is generating, I intend to sell that back to the grid as that gives me the most bang for my bank.

PS: Check out the latest post on the OC Tesla Group site or Meetup page, we're planning on a potential Friday in December meetup and need votes as to what date. (I'm leaning toward Dec. 2, but the 9th is in play.)