Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do to your Tesla Model 3 today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WD40 is a good lubricant but can hold onto dirt particles. Silicone just lubricates and doesn’t.
A good locksmith will always tell you to use silicone as WD40 gums up a lock quicker than anything.

Graphite powder is what you use in locks. It's the best lubricant for locks, will never gum up and won't attract dirt particles.

I’ve just acquired some actetone so I can dissolve one of my card keys and extract the chip and aerial. I’ve got a small Herschel card wallet and I’m going to sow the key into the outer lining which I’ll carry around as a backup to my phone. That way it will hold more cards and if I lose the wallet no one will know the key is even there.

• Love
Reactions: MrBadger
I’ve just acquired some actetone so I can dissolve one of my card keys and extract the chip and aerial. I’ve got a small Herschel card wallet and I’m going to sow the key into the outer lining which I’ll carry around as a backup to my phone. That way it will hold more cards and if I lose the wallet no one will know the key is even there.
Sounds an interesting project. Please keep us updated on how it goes.

And when you sell the car, the new owner will get your wallet with it?

I managed to get all 4 wheels spinning today. ( winter tyres!!)
Its been solid ice here for 4 or 5 days with about 3-4mm thickness.
Reversing into the drive slowly, over the 3 or 4 cm ridge between pavement and drive with the road another 12 cm below that I got the rears on the drive but the fronts just would not go over the ridge (slightly up hill) All 4 wheels spinning.
I had to go onto the road and use momentum to get the fronts over the ridge.

What did I do today?
I went to the Birmingham Service Centre for a replacement wheel and tyre. Mine was delivered on 31st with some slight damage. Lovely people, quick, sorted without drama.
Found it a little odd that when the car was bought back round to the front for collecting the passenger seat was wound flat back...... no idea why.
CA9FF724-9397-416D-8515-FF80F3CFC325.jpeg

Went raspberry pi crazy over the holidays. Took delivery on the 22nd of Dec (my first Tesla). A bit of an interesting experience probably worthy of another thread...

Anyway switched to Octopus Agile while waiting for delivery and started tinkering with Raspberry Pi to get the rates out on the well. Ended up implementing an existing project (pics attached). Liked the idea a lot and started putting together my own Tesla dashboard (completed today). Now thinking to continue the streak and make a wifi button to start preconditioning the car.
88241506-A189-4097-9638-C1A7FB878D4B.JPG
PHOTO-2020-12-30-08-57-07.jpg

I'm still waiting for your acetone to arrive so you can play too ;)

Unfortunately, Attempt-1 was unsuccessful. I was able to extract the electronics from the key card quite easily with acetone as others have reported. I was also able to make a smaller, thinner version of the key card by rearranging the aerial and sandwiching the electronics between two very thin plastic layers. This worked fine.

The Herschel wallet was the problem. I had assumed that the RFID blocking layer was incorporated in the copper coloured wallet lining. Wrong, the RFID block is actually in the outer fabric and there's no way to separate it from the material so the key doesn't work when inserted between the lining and outer fabric. Somewhat ironic in view of the fact that full sized cards are not protected very well in outer pockets of this type of wallet anyway since the upper edge of the card (through which the antenna often runs) is exposed and can be read.

I may try other wallets but at the moment, I've got a scaled-down key card looking for a home.

Key.JPG

Unfortunately, Attempt-1 was unsuccessful. I was able to extract the electronics from the key card quite easily with acetone as others have reported. I was also able to make a smaller, thinner version of the key card by rearranging the aerial and sandwiching the electronics between two very thin plastic layers. This worked fine.

The Herschel wallet was the problem. I had assumed that the RFID blocking layer was incorporated in the copper coloured wallet lining. Wrong, the RFID block is actually in the outer fabric and there's no way to separate it from the material so the key doesn't work when inserted between the lining and outer fabric. Somewhat ironic in view of the fact that full sized cards are not protected very well in outer pockets of this type of wallet anyway since the upper edge of the card (through which the antenna often runs) is exposed and can be read.

I may try other wallets but at the moment, I've got a scaled-down key card looking for a home.

View attachment 624923
Well thank you for getting this far. Hard to get a scale as to how much smaller your new card is but I’m assuming usefully smaller.
I wonder how they make those rings work. Would the wires loop round within the ring?

Reactions: MadScientist