Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Did You Do With Your 20” Uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like a lot of other people, I am going to swap out the 20” OEM Uberturbines on my new M3P for a 19” all-season wheel/tire package (from tsportline). Is there a market out there for practically new 20” Uberturbines with the OEM summer tires? Where have you had luck selling these?

I'm storing my M3P 20" Uberturbines alongside my S P85 21" wheels. Keeping each set just to put back on when eventually selling the car someday.

Given how old the S is now, probably it wasn't worth keeping them, might have been better off selling them when they were newer and worth more. We're planning to keep the 3 a long time too, so probably will end up in the same situation, but for whatever reason I feel like holding onto the Uberturbines too.

Reactions: JSWE
Like a lot of other people, I am going to swap out the 20” OEM Uberturbines on my new M3P for a 19” all-season wheel/tire package (from tsportline). Is there a market out there for practically new 20” Uberturbines with the OEM summer tires? Where have you had luck selling these?

Sell them wherever you have sold other car parts like this. There is a marketplace subforum here, or any other site that people use to sell goods between each other like ebay, offer up, craigslist, etc etc.

Note that we do not allow "for sale" posts in the regular subforums here, and many times posts like this are a soft "for sale" advertisement. I have no idea if that is the case here, but decided to err on the side of "its not" and leave the post here instead of moving it to the marketplace subforum. If you have questions on pricing etc, I would suggest scanning the marketplace here or other such forums to get an idea (rather than discuss price in this thread, at least if you want it to stay in this subforum).

You can attempt to sell them in any market where you have done those things before, and if you havent, anyplace that facilitates transactions between individuals will work (with the appropriate level of skepticism between buyer and seller during the transaction).

Selling things between private parties is more work, especially if there is a decent dollar amount involved.

Reactions: JSWE
As someone who is researching a possible M3P lease....why would you take off the wheels that you just paid for? To downsize for a more compliant ride?

Some people like to get smaller wheels for both a more compliant ride and because the OEM 20s are both heavy, and somewhat prone to damage from poor roads in their stock sizes.

As someone who is researching a possible M3P lease....why would you take off the wheels that you just paid for? To downsize for a more compliant ride?
@Basscadet Well I might not bother on a lease.

Our S P85 came with a similar skinny sidewall setup, 245/35R21 on 20x8.5", and it wasn't long before one of them cracked. We switched the S to 245/45R19 on 19x8.5" and no more cracked wheels.

Was the road it cracked on in terrible condition? Yes. But so are many roads, and most cars don't get cracked wheels just from driving down them. We never had a cracked wheel before or since those 21s.

The M3P 235/35R20 on 20x9" setup looks like the same recipe for cracked wheels. Not something we want to deal with again, so I ordered 18x8.5" forged wheels for it before we even picked up the car. With 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza Sport on them everything is better than stock - ride quality, dry grip, wet grip, power steering feel, tire pricing, and wheel protection.

I think the Uberturbines look really good on the 3, as do the 21s on the P85, but huge cast wheels with really skinny sidewalls are not very practical for us. Your experience may vary, especially if your roads are well maintained!

Reactions: DocHolliday
The tsportline wheels are forged? 10 pounds is significant. What is the weight of the OEM wheels and the tsportline wheels? Sorry, I'm early in my research but these #'s are shocking.
The tsportline wheels are forged? 10 pounds is significant. What is the weight of the OEM wheels and the tsportline wheels? Sorry, I'm early in my research but these #'s are shocking.

Yes, the T Sportline wheels are forged but they are not much lighter than the OEM Uberturbine wheels. If you go with something like the Fast Wheels EV04 they are fully forged and 23 lbs for the 20" wheels and about 21 lbs for the 19"s.

I'm in the same boat, and considering selling mine too when I get my Performance somewhere in Oct/Nov.

I assume folks just sell the rims after they swap the tires to whatever new set they bought? Or are sets with tires usually what ends up behind sold? I don't particularly care for the summer-only tires I'll get.

But can you break even selling rims + tires if you have to buy new $1600 tires too?