Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I do for the next few days while Smart Preconditioning is "learning"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a native English speaker of course, but by "adding manual options to the smart features" I meant alternatives, additional ways of achieving the same as the smart features currently do. I hope that was clear enough when I said "would be a preferable option on the side".

I think you're right on. Have two options: "Learning/Automatic" and "Manual".. Manual having a time setting like charging does.

And have it stay on until the car is started... none of this 30 minutes stuff.. we frozen northerners need 1+ hours of pre-heating on the coldest days.

I like the calendar idea too. If the first calendar entry has an address in it, then precondition in preparation for it--and take into account drive time from current location to calendar item destination and start preconditioning 1 hour before you would have to leave.

-m

My guess would be that you're experiencing the app refresh issue where it 'remembers' the last time you opened the app. In my case, I don't have 6.1 yet, but the climate tab usually shows the last known temp when the app was activated. I'm assuming preconditioning was active the last time that you launched the app whether you looked at the climate tab or not.

I guess that is possible. However, a few minutes later when I checked again it showed this.. Outside temps were around 0 at the time, so I don't think the inside temp would get to 16.5 without it actually heating the car?

IMG_0010.PNG

Smart Preconditioning: My car is baking itself

I thought I'd launch the Tesla Companion app before heading to bed just now and noticed something alarming. Interior temperature was 95 degrees Fahrenheit! This is at midnight, Saturday night / Sunday morning. I wake the car up at 7AM weekdays to warm the cabin to 80 degrees before I head to work, and then generally never go above 83 degrees on the climate control while driving.

How has my car learned to cook itself at midnight on Saturday night?

Any insight / advice is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I'd launch the Tesla Companion app before heading to bed just now and noticed something alarming. Interior temperature was 95 degrees Fahrenheit! This is at midnight, Saturday night / Sunday morning. I wake the car up at 7AM weekdays to warm the cabin to 80 degrees before I head to work, and then generally never go above 83 degrees on the climate control while driving.

How has my car learned to cook itself at midnight on Saturday night?

Any insight / advice is appreciated.

Just to clarify, the app said Smart Preconditioning was active. The temp in the car when I got out at 10:15 PM was 76 degrees and I hadn't used the app for many hours to adjust the temp.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I might be a bit of an outlier but this is at least in my top five grips about the car.... ESPECIALLY since you've been able to program the LEAF to start conditioning at a set time for years; COME ON ELON... how is timed conditioning any different than timed charging? I can't have my phone where I work and I'm tired of standing outside in 20F weather for 5 minutes trying to connect with my car so it can start defrosting (when I work nights)

timer-hvac.jpg

It would be nice to be able to give smart preconditioning some base conditions to work from. Time when it should do things and max temps for example.

I was using teslacmd and a couple of scripts to check the temp and at 6:30 Monday-Friday if the temps were below 4c warm the cabin and also to start charging the battery and extra bit to reduce any cold battery impacts.

Actually, this function could be set up like the Nest thermostat. You manually warm/cool based on your mobile ap or visible tesla and the car learns your schedule over a few weeks. If it is the same each day, then it locks in the pattern earlier. This would not be hard to set up.

The feature I would find natural would be an "auto" and a "manual/advanced" setting. By toggling to manual/advanced (either in the car, in the app or both) the owner would get to see the underlying schedule with on-times, goal temps etc. Naturally you could have the "auto learn" feature still enabled while in advanced/manual mode and by accessing the detailed schedule the car would show you what it had "learnt" so far and you could leave it unchanged (if you agree) or you could change it manually (if you disagree).

Kind of like how navigation will suggest that a location is your home or work, but you confirm that you agree.

Smart preconditioning kicked in for the first time this morning, correctly predicting the school run (we have configured the kids' school as "work" in the satnav). Great.

...and then this evening at 23:45 I heard the car wake up, the contactor in the charge point click on to indicate shore power being used, and lo and behold when I open the app the car is pre-conditioning itself at quarter to midnight.

FFS, what is wrong with a simple scheduler?!

Smart preconditioning 'turned on' twice for me this evening, within 30-40minutes of each other, and unfortunately not useful. I'm confused because: 1) I was home at the time (it was ~7-8pm), so not within usual leave for/return from work times; and 2) the car was not plugged in/charging - and from the release notes it sounds like this function only should happen if the car is plugged in.
Any insight?
Thanks!

Smart conditioning should be implemented as follows:

Battery Prewarm ON or OFF - Will disable prewarm when not plugged in.
Smart Preconditioning mode ON or OFF - learn when you leave and prewarm accordingly (Lazy mode, potential waste of energy)
Calendar mode ON or OFF - Perwarm based on Calendar
Fixed Schedule - Let me program when car Prewarms
Coordinated charge - Have car finish charging at planned time of departure.
Maximum range Prewarm ON OFF - Warm car to full regen temp for cold weather travel max range - Could refer to trips in Calendar.

This should all be done on the charge screen, not in settings so that its all in one place. I am also sure some of these options could be simplified and co-ordinated to make the interface easier. Elon, I would be happy to design this for you! :)

Smart preconditioning 'turned on' twice for me this evening, within 30-40minutes of each other, and unfortunately not useful. I'm confused because: 1) I was home at the time (it was ~7-8pm), so not within usual leave for/return from work times; and 2) the car was not plugged in/charging - and from the release notes it sounds like this function only should happen if the car is plugged in.
Any insight?
Thanks!

Preconditioning is alpha level software. Not even remotely ready for prime time.

I might be a bit of an outlier but this is at least in my top five grips about the car.... ESPECIALLY since you've been able to program the LEAF to start conditioning at a set time for years; COME ON ELON... how is timed conditioning any different than timed charging? I can't have my phone where I work and I'm tired of standing outside in 20F weather for 5 minutes trying to connect with my car so it can start defrosting (when I work nights)

View attachment 69603

I'm gonna have to agree, it would be nice for Tesla to adopt some of the timer functionality from the Leaf. Departure timers for charging and HVAC, configurable by day of the week, would be a significant convenience improvement.