Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I have to do to beat remaining miles!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I drove 74.5 miles yesterday and was very happy to see a consumption of 20.7KWh and 279Wh/mile reported - my best figures easily for a trip. No doubt the unseasonably warm Easter really helped.

I started the trip at 210 miles remaining and ended up with 132 miles remaining - a difference of 78 miles.

I thought the remaining miles calculation was basically a proxy for remaining charge and based on a consumption of 300Wh/mile. Therefore, shouldn't I have 'beat my mileage' and end up with less than 74.5 miles consumed? If it is in fact based on some lower number than the 279Wh/mile I achieved, then in my estimation that is very hard to attain (certainly not averaged over the year) and my true attainable mileage is way less than 294 advertised.

Thanks!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi

I drove 74.5 miles yesterday and was very happy to see a consumption of 20.7KWh and 279Wh/mile reported - my best figures easily for a trip. No doubt the unseasonably warm Easter really helped.

I started the trip at 210 miles remaining and ended up with 132 miles remaining - a difference of 78 miles.

I thought the remaining miles calculation was basically a proxy for remaining charge and based on a consumption of 300Wh/mile. Therefore, shouldn't I have 'beat my mileage' and end up with less than 74.5 miles consumed? If it is in fact based on some lower number than the 279Wh/mile I achieved, then in my estimation that is very hard to attain (certainly not averaged over the year) and my true attainable mileage is way less than 294 advertised.

Thanks!
first off this is is hard to make any sense out of, you've omitted a lot of variables that affect your range. you sound as if you are a new owner, here is my experience on the range thing.
the advertised 294 miles of range is only attained in the most perfect of conditions, which include, speed driven, traffic conditions, ambient temps, rain, winds, changes in elevation even your tire pressure will have an impact.
in other words the range that you consume will be affected by many variables and for the most part you will rarely obtain the maximum range that the car will show as available.
in my car, a s90d, on long trips on interstate type highways in good weather conditions driving at 77 MPH your range will be around 23O miles give or take. slower speeds will give you a few more miles, bad weather, elevation changes will take away miles. in use at varied speeds on a mix of highway and surface type streets you could expect at least 250 miles of range.
as you learn the nuances of your car and driving style you'll get more of a "feel" for what range is available to you.

Last edited:
What "remaining mileage" are you referencing: ideal, rated or projected range?
The reason I ask is this (I posted this in a different thread a while ago):

The battery display on the dash is not a range prediction. It is either set to IDEAL range (55mph, level ground, no HVAC), RATED range (EPA cycle testing) or % SOC. It does not reflect PROJECTED (based on last xx miles of driving) range.

PROJECTED range, based on your last xx miles of driving, can only be seen in the Energy App consumption screen.

I thought the remaining miles calculation was basically a proxy for remaining charge and based on a consumption of 300Wh/mile.
This is where the mistake is. The rated range calculation is not based on 300, it is something less. For my classic rear drive 85 it is supposedly 290 but I have found 280 to be more accurate.

For the mystery car that you haven't specified, but is likely to be a dual motor car, that number is even less.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi

I'm referring to the mileage shown on the dashboard by the battery indicator not the projected mileage in the energy app (I know that's a different thing altogether) My understanding is that the dashboard distance calculation is essentially just a proxy for energy remaining in the battery and is based on using 300W/mile. So if my assumption/information were correct and you drove at much less than 300W/mile then the value would decrease at a slower rate than your actual mileage.

Now, this is not what I observed, so either my 300 number is wrong or I have some other misunderstanding.

Just saw last response above mine - yes I was referring to the indication on the dashboard by the battery (I know the energy app is different). Thank you, so this explains it. My car is a 90D. So from my drive then the number is a few less than 279.

Wow - tough to consistently get that. This was an 80 degree day, would be completely impossible most of the year I think!

my experience has been this:
the first minute or two energy consumed is through the roof. average 600 wh/mi or so... i figured this is a combo of cold battery and high start up energy needs. the less i regen, and the longer it takes to get to cruising, the longer it stays high. driving around my neighborhood where it's stop signs all over.. it can start as high as 1000, quickly drops to 800, and can stay at 500 for up to 5 min if i hit stop lights. so invariably, within the first 2 minutes, if i'm looking at miles rated and miles driven, i lose at least a mile instantly.

so after 15 min of driving, it can only get down to 350 at times if these are my conditions. but if i go on a longer drive, that early energy usage gets averaged in quickly, and usually i've lost 1 or 2 miles,... sometimes i recover it.

i have a 5 min drive to my golf course, that goes over a hill bridge, and if i drive just to there, and back home, i lose like 3 miles easily. so, the biggest range killers for me in this case are short drives, no cruising, minimal regen, and multiple stops (get out of my car stops).

• Helpful
Yes, i made a stop in the middle. On the way out i think i recorded something like 265, can't quite remember - but don't remember what the remaining mileage said. On the way back, consumed 287W/mi for 37.5 miles.

So here's the thing - if you stop, the vampire drain from the stop counts against the KWh but not against the wh/mile.

In the extreme example you can drive for 10 miles, stop a month halfway between and consume 50KWh and have it still only show up as 290wh/mile.

The correlation is thus only valid for non-stop trips.

• Informative
The rated Wh/mi numbers are in the first post of this thread. According to that, the number for my car is 295. For the 90D it is 290 or 295 depending on nosecone or refresh. And yes, it is tough to beat.

Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values
Correction to the above, it should be 290 or 285 depending on refresh.

Right - I get that. However i was only stopped for 4/5 hours so probably less then a mile of vampire drain. I think the answer is as above in that my 300 assumption is wrong for the 90D.

Thamks
Vampire drain does not affect the traction battery in a constant fashion when the car is off. The computers run off the 12V battery until it reaches a low enough voltage that it needs to be recharged. Then the DC-DC converter kicks in and charges the 12V from the traction battery. When that happens you can lose, IIRC, 2-3 miles of range. It happens several times a day, so you probably hit a recharge cycle while the car was stopped.

Right - I get that. However i was only stopped for 4/5 hours so probably less then a mile of vampire drain. I think the answer is as above in that my 300 assumption is wrong for the 90D.

Thamks
You also have the option of setting the dash to display IDEAL or RATED miles (that's why I asked the question). You can see the basis of each in my post above.

Do you know which you are displaying?

I just thought of something else that may have an effect. Cabin overheat protection. If the temperature was 80 and the car was parked in the sun, then the fan probably kicked on for a while, and possibly A/C as well. Not sure how the trip meter will reflect that

Not sure how the trip meter will reflect that
The trip meter won't reflect that use at all because it only totals things while driving. But, as the OP was talking about just looking at the number of miles showing on the dash display, which is just a translation of the state of charge in the battery, then yes, it would show up there with some miles possibly just going missing from being used up that way without driving.