Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do for work? Just passing time waiting for updates from Tesla :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retired physics prof., so I don't do anything. Except work on the house, the garden, my computers, and obsess about the Model S and TSLA stock. I did some software development, but it was all physics education simulations. I like assembly and aside from that the only language I've used is C. I won't count the trivial bit of C++, BASIC, and FORTRAN (from 35-45 years ago). Oh, I did convert my 2005 Prius to a plug-in after retiring. My misadventures with that make me appreciate Tesla's battery management system, etc. I destroyed at least three packs in the process. After it was successfully converted to my satisfaction (I did get it to go 18 miles on a single charge), disaster occurred. Burned up due to a shorted extension cord. The batteries (and rest of the car) were destroyed, but not because of the batteries.

Wow dmckinstry, that's the school of hard knocks! I didn't need to do my own conversion to appreciate Tesla's work of art, I just looked at a couple of conversions at the last plug-in event. Although there was one proud dad with a Li-Ion Pontiac Fiero, converted by his son. That car was also a work of art and the kid now works at Tesla! The car project made a fantastic resume! :)

Honestly though, Tesla's Model S skateboard deserves a place of honor in a museum somewhere.

@dmckinstry and my wife tells me I have expensive hobbies!

Yet another software engineer here. I write mobile applications and games. My most recent work was an iPad app published for a well known library which has gotten a few awards from the book / publishing community.

@dmckinstry and my wife tells me I have expensive hobbies!

In a way, but I did have over 110k miles on it after 3+ years, and surprisingly, the car insurance did cover it (of course not at new price).

P.S. My wife would consider the Model S a very very expensive hobby if I can convince her. I won't touch that car except to wash it, and install seat covers.

I do several things; I'm an horticulturalist (production and nursery sales, and have a farmer's market-size orchard at home), investor, former music pastor & music teacher, homeschooling parent, and former lifeguard. I do informal IT in my spare time for family and friends ;)

All of you folk make me want to say that I'm a piano player in a house of ill repute rather than admit that I'm actually a writer.
You wouldn't ever guess it based on what I've written here.

I write the documentation for all the stuff that my company manufactures. I have to know how to install, use, and repair over 900 products.

-- Ardie
No, it isn't an AN960C10 washer. Anybody can see its an NAS1149CN032R washer.

I write the documentation for all the stuff that my company manufactures. I have to know how to install, use, and repair over 900 products.

I know that can't be true -- you write in complete, clear sentences that follow the rules of English grammar and move logically from one to the next. No manufactured product has a documentation like that. :smile:

Those of us that work for the large companies (fruit or otherwise) should find a way to exert some pressure on our respective facilities people to install more charger stalls (this is probably worthy of its own topic in a more generic part of the board). I know that around here, an armada of Leafs and Volts show up well before 8AM (DA12) when I arrive and don't leave till late :).

Staying on topic, though, I think the diversity of people, places, and jobs posted so far is pretty cool. It's good for Tesla, good for the EV industry as a whole. I hate to use the word 'movement', but hopefully there's enough momentum building across the country for EV's to catch and stay this time. Charging infrastructure is key to getting people on board, of course. Progressive companies can help.

/Mitch.

I know that around here, an armada of Leafs and Volts show up well before 8AM (DA12)

Same thing in IL1, the two chargers are taken fairly early in the morning. I wish they would install more. It's mostly an issue for Leaf owners in my opinion because if you have a Roadster or a Model S, you don't really need to recharge at work. It's just a nice perk.