Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

A lot of these smart locks typically don't work with UK doors. We tend to have multipoint locks where you have to lift the handle to engage additional bolts at the top and bottom before the main bolt will turn. Conexis L2 is the main one I've seen trying to solve this.
I've yet to make the switch simply because there are not many competition thus no bar to compare this against.

Have you got one?

Upvote 0
I keep my keys clipped to a belt loop on my pants.

For anyone that doesn't know @Big Earl, I took this picture of him the other day on the subway 😜:

1693928416465.png

Upvote 0
A lot of these smart locks typically don't work with UK doors. We tend to have multipoint locks where you have to lift the handle to engage additional bolts at the top and bottom before the main bolt will turn. Conexis L2 is the main one I've seen trying to solve this.
the reason SUCH approach is common in UK does not mean it is anywhere else.

rest of world/europe also have multi-point locks. nowhere ever I have seen such system where you have to lift the handle, only in uk... You just turn the key and multi-point lock elements slide where they should.

but hey, at the same time, only in UK your main door is opening inwards for no reason, while doors at rear usually are opening outwards.. and default standard for the windows is to open outwards as well, making it absolutely impractical as you cannot hang normal bug net on them..

Reactions: randompixel
Upvote 0
lol I literally just kicked myself out. Was wearing shorts as it was hot and didnt swap my keys over. Son was in the house so popped ti the supermarket not realising he left for the gym before I got back

Could have sat in the car but the ice cream would have melted. ‘I should have a spare key in the glovebox’ I thought to myself

Then I used the random bit of old steel rod I’d bent into a sort of boomerang shape to poke through the letterbox and turn the inside handle and break in. Luckily my son hadn’t locked the door when he left

I should check out these smart locks..

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
lol I literally just kicked myself out. Was wearing shorts as it was hot and didnt swap my keys over. Son was in the house so popped ti the supermarket not realising he left for the gym before I got back

Could have sat in the car but the ice cream would have melted. ‘I should have a spare key in the glovebox’ I thought to myself

Then I used the random bit of old steel rod I’d bent into a sort of boomerang shape to poke through the letterbox and turn the inside handle and break in. Luckily my son hadn’t locked the door when he left

I should check out these smart locks..
The important part is that the ice cream survived!!

Upvote 0
I did wonder that as I was typing it.

I think?? that my APP knows the car is at home, dunno how/if that is set differently to Satnav - maybe they are two separate things? or its my imagination ...

... I also use TeslaFi and that has a completely separate (Lat/Long) config for "Home", and that may well be controlling whether Sentry is on / off at various locations - including its idea of home.

So not sure if it is an issue (for anyone not using TeslaFi / similar)
Home is Home, but I see in the latest manual they have expanded the range of home (or home on the range :) )

It used to be within 10 metres, but now it's within 500 m
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 19.10.32.png

Note
To recognize a location listed as Home, Work, or a Favorite, Model 3 must be parked within approximately 1,640 feet (500 meters) of the saved
location.

Certainly solves the inaccurate Google maps problem.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
Home is Home, but I see in the latest manual they have expanded the range of home (or home on the range :) )

It used to be within 10 metres, but now it's within 500 m
View attachment 971229

Certainly solves the inaccurate Google maps problem.
For some people their detached garage is pretty far away from their actual home, so having a larger area would help address that case also.

Upvote 0
ok someone help me here. Googled smart lock - checked out the conexis L2 from yale, and the Ultion Nuki. Both say they work with multipoint locks. But they also say you have to pull the handle up to lock so they can’t auto-lock when you leave.

My front door is UPVC, if I lift the handle and a couple of prongs pop out top and bottom. So I assumed thats multipoint. But, if you don’t lift the handle, you can still lock the door with a key from the inside or outside which pops out a tab/deadbolt thingy. So I was assuming a smart lock would turn the lock - locking it without multipoint if I haven’t lifted the handle, but locking it with multipoint if I do lift it. The lifting part would be separate from the lock part.

From the inside if not locked, turning the handle retracts the little triangle wedge bit so you can open the door, but the outer handle isn’t connected to that so if you turn it, it doesn’t open the door from the outside - you have to use the key which then retracts the wedge bit.

Does that mean if I get one, and forget to lift the handle when people leave the house, anyone can waltz up and turn the handle and let themselves in? or is the outer handle not connected like mine currently is?

Can’t find any videos or articles online explaining in detail - only they do specifically mention you have to lift to lock.

Upvote 0
ok someone help me here. Googled smart lock - checked out the conexis L2 from yale, and the Ultion Nuki. Both say they work with multipoint locks. But they also say you have to pull the handle up to lock so they can’t auto-lock when you leave.

My front door is UPVC, if I lift the handle and a couple of prongs pop out top and bottom. So I assumed thats multipoint. But, if you don’t lift the handle, you can still lock the door with a key from the inside or outside which pops out a tab/deadbolt thingy. So I was assuming a smart lock would turn the lock - locking it without multipoint if I haven’t lifted the handle, but locking it with multipoint if I do lift it. The lifting part would be separate from the lock part.

From the inside if not locked, turning the handle retracts the little triangle wedge bit so you can open the door, but the outer handle isn’t connected to that so if you turn it, it doesn’t open the door from the outside - you have to use the key which then retracts the wedge bit.

Does that mean if I get one, and forget to lift the handle when people leave the house, anyone can waltz up and turn the handle and let themselves in? or is the outer handle not connected like mine currently is?

Can’t find any videos or articles online explaining in detail - only they do specifically mention you have to lift to lock.
If you used a lock such as a Nuki then all this does is turn the key on the inside of the lock. In your case, it would deadbolt the door (with or without the extra points, depending on if you have lifted the handle) when you lock and would unlock and pull the latch to open the door when you unlocked. It does not affect the outside handle so this would still not allow you to open the door from the outside without using a key or the smart lock to unlock/open. A good recommendation with a Nuki is to replace the euro cylinder with one with a thumb turn on the inside so you can still use a key on the outside, as a backup (you can also get cylinders with an emergency function that lets you turn the lock from either side even with keys in both sides, however they are very uncommon in the UK).

Upvote 0

You find locks are a little more complicated when you look into how they all work, For me I grew up with the traditional Yale lock - the latch engages and no outer handle - so the door is secure when you close it behind you when you go out and a key has to be used to retract the latch to get back in.

Now thats how I have my UPVC multipoint set up, I can lift the handle up to engage the multipoint locking but I only ever do that when away on holiday - the rest of the time my door is held just by the latch - so in effect its like the Yale - the key is needed to retract the latch to get in - The lock is known as a split spindle lock - so if you turn the outer handle to get in the handle does not engage the lock - it freely spins.

I wanted a Smart lock - but they work differently but achieve the same effect as the yale.
Smartlocks work like a split spindle though they use a fixed spindle - so the inside handle moves at the same time as the outer is moved, inside the smartlock the mechanism splits the spindle - It has a steel pin that is driven into a slot on the shaft of the handle assembly by a tiny motor that has a screw which moves a plate towards the centre spindle that pushes the pin into engagement, when the lock locks the motor retracts the plate and the steel pin disengages - which allows the outer handle to spin freely - so in effect the door is locked by the latch.
The inner handle will always retract the multipoints and open the door even when the door is locked - so no need for a key or unlock command to operate the lock.

If you lift the handle it operates the multipoint locks - but pressing the handle down it doesn't disengage the multipoints until you tell the lock to unlock, therefore you have a choice - walk out, pull the door shut behind you and walk away - the door handle will not operate the latch - so the door is locked, You can also lift the handle and engage multipoints and walk away - so now everything is locked - anyone pressing the handle down wont disengage the multipoints or the latch - when you return and operate the lock and press the handle multipoints and latch will both retract and the door opens.

You can swap out all the different parts of the locking system, The lock and deadbolt and the multipoint parts are separate and are easily exchanged - there are also what are called "Slam to lock" mechanisms - known also as auto locking - so when the door is closed it triggers the multipoint all to engage - these also work fine with Smart Locks.

I did lots of research online to understand how they all work, also dismantled a SmartLock to find out just how they worked, The one thing I did learn is that the retailers of these Smartlocks haven't got a clue how they work, what's inside them and really cant advise with any confidence what is and is not suitable - to be honest they dont even know what is compatible with what and no knowledge of the different type of locks/multipoints.
I also spoke at length with Leicesters leading Locksmith - a business that's traded maybe a hundred years - they were absolutely clueless - or perhaps I just got the village idiot on the phone when i called - but they only helped the confusion.

Back to your case - You have a split spindle set up, If you get the Simpled or Prolok slimline Multi lock its supplied with a solid spindle, when the lock is locked the outer handle will behave like yours currently does - outer handle turns but doesn't retract the latch - so the door remains secure. ( I presume your description of the triangle wedge bit is indeed the latch)
If you simply leave the house, pull the door and walk away without lifting the handle (like I always do) your door will remain secure - just like the old Yale lock, If you lift the handle and engage the multipoints the door is at its most secure and the handle will not disengage them if the handle is pressed until you operate the unlock.

I bought a Prolok and a Simpled lock - inside they are almost identical but Simpled lock was less than half the price and it has all the same functions, but be aware you do need to be a bit brave because you have to drill holes through your UPVC door to allow for the cables as the battery box is located in the inner handle assembly and the Euro lock you have will become redundant, you remove it because its not needed and the hole left becomes one of the securing points when its all bolted together - but you do get a template for this and its not critical in that you need to be exact - and best to use a stepped drill bit because some of the holes do seem quite large.
If what I've said is a bit confusing its because I don't know what your level of skill is re DIY or your understanding - and perhaps I'm taking some things for granted as being common knowledge - like the triangle wedge bit being the latch - so feel free to come back at me with any specific questions.

Upvote 0
latch - thats the one lol. Was struggling to make up terms that got teh point across :)

Something like the nuki then which attaches to the key on the inside sounds like it’d work - if I get teh one with the replacement cylinder as mine doesn’t work with a key in both sides.

That’d give me the ability to use a key on the outside like now - simpler for wife to adapt to. I guess I need to understand the ‘locked out’ routine - if I unlock from the app without having locked it, will it also retract the latch so it opens the door (as the handle outside doesn’t turn it)?

Reactions: Cardo
Upvote 0
latch - thats the one lol. Was struggling to make up terms that got teh point across :)

Something like the nuki then which attaches to the key on the inside sounds like it’d work - if I get teh one with the replacement cylinder as mine doesn’t work with a key in both sides.

That’d give me the ability to use a key on the outside like now - simpler for wife to adapt to. I guess I need to understand the ‘locked out’ routine - if I unlock from the app without having locked it, will it also retract the latch so it opens the door (as the handle outside doesn’t turn it)?
The Nuki knows the position of the key so knows whether the door is locked or merely on the latch. I have this setup in my flat in Spain, where you can’t open the door from the outside as there is no door handle! When you tell the Nuki to unlock, it will unlock and/or pull the latch from any position. I have three Nukis in total (two in UK house and one in Spain flat) and all work slightly different as the doors/locks are all different with different style locks, but once they’re configured and understand how the particular door behaves they work very well. One thing that’s quite nice with the Nuki is it also has all sorts of smart notifications. It has a door sensor so can notify you if you leave the door open, or if you try to lock the door when it’s open. It can also warn you if you leave the house and leave the door unlocked, prompting you to lock the door. My favourite feature is the auto-unlock, where the door unlocks as I approach it (can also be a smart notification that asks you if you want to unlock). We also have a couple of PIN pads for those without smartphones, such as the MiL and cleaners, etc.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Upvote 0
The Nuki knows the position of the key so knows whether the door is locked or merely on the latch. I have this setup in my flat in Spain, where you can’t open the door from the outside as there is no door handle! When you tell the Nuki to unlock, it will unlock and/or pull the latch from any position. I have three Nukis in total (two in UK house and one in Spain flat) and all work slightly different as the doors/locks are all different with different style locks, but once they’re configured and understand how the particular door behaves they work very well. One thing that’s quite nice with the Nuki is it also has all sorts of smart notifications. It has a door sensor so can notify you if you leave the door open, or if you try to lock the door when it’s open. It can also warn you if you leave the house and leave the door unlocked, prompting you to lock the door. My favourite feature is the auto-unlock, where the door unlocks as I approach it (can also be a smart notification that asks you if you want to unlock). We also have a couple of PIN pads for those without smartphones, such as the MiL and cleaners, etc.
Is the installation of Nuki any easier? - as I found these locks difficult to install if you are not good with the DIY skills?

Upvote 0
Is the installation of Nuki any easier? - as I found these locks difficult to install if you are not good with the DIY skills?

from the videos I've watched it looks like it. Basic Nuki bolts onto your internal handle and turns a key in the lock. You need to be able to use a key in both sides - if you can't, you'll need a replacement cylinder but that looks fairly straightforward too. I'm probably going for the ultion nuki which comes with a replacmeent secure cylinder and a new internal handle.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
It’s not a replacement lock. The Nuki sits over the key and literally just turns the key. You attach it to the euro cylinder with some grub screws or a sticky pad directly to the door, depending on your door. Very simple to fit. The hardest part may be replacing the euro cylinder, if need be, but that’s literally one screw to remove and replace.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
I can lift the handle up to engage the multipoint locking but I only ever do that when away on holiday - the rest of the time my door is held just by the latch

Tangent:

is there any advantage to routinely closing the door WITH the multipoint? Does it "leverage" the door more-closed? I'm thinking benefits might be that the door is kept "true" and that may help, over a long period, with any warping; and possibly there may be less chance of draught (e.g. if draught proofing is deteriorating, the extra leverage of the multipoint would squeeze the insulation more / to make a better fit ... assuming that multipoint does provide extra leverage rather than just additional security pins top/bottom/sides of the door

spare key in the glovebox

Just thinking about this ...

I imagine it is very small chance that a thief steals & drives-away a Tesla - e.g. if Pin-to-Drive enabled ... but if they do, and NAV to "HOME" and find a house key in Glovebox (also requires the PIN ...)

I found a credit card, belonging to car's previous owner, down the side of a glovebox once. It must have slipped in there and they never realised, or figured it was too hard to get it back out

Upvote 0