Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Itā€™s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now weā€˜ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, itā€™s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

Ultion Nuki vs Nuki - any difference?

nuki fits over your existing handle and key. It needs your lock to work with a key in both sides (lots donā€™t).

If it doesnā€™t, you need to replace your lock cylinder with one that does.

Ultion Nuki is a combination of replacement cylinder + new handle + normal Nuki. Its also a high grade secure cylinder apparantly if that matters. If you donā€™t care and still need a replacement cylinder they can be had for about Ā£25

- if your cylinder lets you put a key in both sides and still turn it : Nuki is fine - Ā£150
- if you donā€™t care about a new handle or the security of the Ultion cylinder : Nuki + standard replacement cylinder - Ā£175-200
- if you like the new handle and appreciate the increased security : Ultion Nuki - Ā£259

Then if you want to access remotely, you either need a homekit hub in your house (and I think within bluetooth range of the Nuki), or a Nuki bridge for abouet Ā£80.

Upvote 0
nuki fits over your existing handle and key. It needs your lock to work with a key in both sides (lots donā€™t).

Ultion Nuki is a combination of replacement cylinder + new handle + normal Nuki. Its also a high grade secure cylinder apparantly if that matters. If you donā€™t care and still need a replacement cylinder they can be had for about Ā£25

- if your cylinder lets you put a key in both sides and still turn it : Nuki is fine - Ā£150
- if you donā€™t care about a new handle or the security of the Ultion cylinder : Nuki + standard replacement cylinder - Ā£175-200
- if you like the new handle and appreciate the increased security : Ultion Nuki - Ā£259

Then if you want to access remotely, you either need a homekit hub in your house (and I think within bluetooth range of the Nuki), or a Nuki bridge for abouet Ā£80.
Just a small correction. The standard Nuki does not ā€œfit over your existing handleā€¦ā€. It only fits over the key, the handle is unaffected.

The Ultion Nuki replaces the entire handle and lock cylinder mechanism. This requires a more thorough installation and may require some drilling. The standard Nuki merely fits over the key and turns it. The standard Nuki is a very simple idea and is very easy to install. If the existing cylinder has a thumb turn, it wonā€™t need replacing as it can already be opened with a key from the outside no matter whatā€™s going on with the inside. It might simply need the adapter Nuki provide as covered in an earlier post.

Reactions: spdpsba and Mrklaw
Upvote 0
ah in the ultion box its just a handle and then another box with the nuki 3.0 in.

it'd be nice if you could upgrade to the pro with an internal kit later - rather than a bridge let me plug in a module to the nuki lock that turns it pro. Ah well
Let us know how you get on with it. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to arrive, order is being processed so I'm not holding out much hope that it'll arrive before the end of the weekend

Upvote 0
so that was a fail.

- screw on side to unlock cylinder was actually a recessed long grub screw. Ok adapted and moved on
- handle held on to spindle with another grub screw. ok..
- replacement cylinder is too short and the retaining hole too far to the right - so when fitted its slightly recessed on the inside (maybe ok) but sticks out so far I can put my fingernail into the snap line thing.

rang them up and they're looking into it. I'd ordered the longer than 55mm version too but its still about 5mm too short but main thing is the retainer in the wrong place.

would have been simpler in hindsight to buy the nuki and cylinder separately.. Nuki even sells a universal cylinder that looks like it would have worked - I need approx 45/35 and the supplied one was about 40/35 but far enough off not to work (or be less secure)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
How quick is it to react? And what sensor do you use to detect your presence?
When returning home in the car I just have an event for when car returns to home, then it waits for the car door to go from locked to unlocked. It's always unlocked when I get to the door.

For people they need the home assistant app and I have it trigger when they return home and it waits for them to join the WiFi. This isn't perfect and can be a small delay as I didn't want it getting the location constantly and using battery on the phone.

Reactions: Zilla91
Upvote 0

So, we have what I now understand is called a Euro Cylinder Lock.

We (Iā€™m in the U.K) have 2 locks on our door.

1 is a simple key operated lock/unlock.

The other is a handle that you lift after turning the key and it then engages hooks in the door that come out and hook over little bars in the door frame.

So I think the Handle side of things can stay as is and what I need is something smart that can replace/enhance the Euro lock that has the key.

The Nuki seems to fit the bill, Iā€™m still trying to wrap my head around in which guise.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Upvote 0
phase 2 - received the basic nuki and a schlosser replacement cylinder.

question - how does it need to behave to be nuki compatible? in this case, being able to use a key in the outside while there is a key on the inside? for this cylinder it seems I have to push the key from the outside which nudges the internal key back a few mm so the key will turn.

question - wonā€™t this mess up the nuki? either the nuki will prevent the key being pushed in (in which case nobody can get in from outside with a key whcih is important), or itā€™ll nudge back so you *can* get in from the outside, but then be unable to turn it to unlock with the app?

why are cylinder locks so complicated

Upvote 0
phase 2 - received the basic nuki and a schlosser replacement cylinder.

question - how does it need to behave to be nuki compatible? in this case, being able to use a key in the outside while there is a key on the inside? for this cylinder it seems I have to push the key from the outside which nudges the internal key back a few mm so the key will turn.

question - wonā€™t this mess up the nuki? either the nuki will prevent the key being pushed in (in which case nobody can get in from outside with a key whcih is important), or itā€™ll nudge back so you *can* get in from the outside, but then be unable to turn it to unlock with the app?

why are cylinder locks so complicated
I am thinking seriously should I replace mine with Niki - with my really basic DIY skills? Waiting for a moment till I get some updates from @Zilla91

Reactions: Zilla91
Upvote 0
phase 3.

Installed new cylinder with emergency function (so you can use a key on both sides). However this pushes the internal key out very slightly - my understanding is this is normal

added the Nuki and it can unlock my door from the inside, or open the latch - bit fiddly on the app to either use a widget and confirm or open the app. I canā€™t see that working with my wife.

But I canā€™t use a key on the outisde - it canā€™t push in the internal key (because of the Nuki I assume). So a bit of a dead end. How do people get around that - Iā€™ve seen lots of recomnendations for the Nuki on this thread. Do you just use the app for everyone in the house, or is there a cylinder type that will work both internal and external without that ā€˜nudgeā€™? I thought that was needed so the cam doesnā€™t get out of whack by both keys being able to turn

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0