Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you plan to tow?

What kind of trailer(s) do you plan to tow with your Cybertruck?

• Small rental trailer

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Small toy-hauler for single golf cart, side-by-side UTV, or 1-2 jet skis, quads, or snowmobiles

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Larger 2-axle toy-hauler (multiple ATVs, 4-snowmobiles, carl hauler)

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Enclosed 1-axle utility trailer

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Enclosed 2-axle utility trailer / race trailer

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Enclosed 2-horse trailer

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Small travel trailer / camper

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Large 2-axle travel trailer / camper

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Heavy equipment (bobcat) or dump-trailer (bumper pull)

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Large gooseneck or 5th wheel

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Boat

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to live full time in a large DIY truck camper on the back of the Cybertruck, made of stainless steel and covered top and sides with solar panels. Truck campers don't seem to be on your list for some reason?

I'm planning to live full time in a large DIY truck camper on the back of the Cybertruck, made of stainless steel and covered top and sides with solar panels. Truck campers don't seem to be on your list for some reason?

Have you see the shape of the cybertruck? Good luck building anything that will fit and be functional.
Where will you weld/bolt the frame tie downs? These have to go on the frame. How will the turnbuckles go around the angled bedsides?
The cabover won't fit on the roof line and the bed floor is to short for anything livable.
The CG will be awful. Conventional trucks have the powertrain up front and you can pretty much put the arrow in the middle on the rear axle. With a 50/50 bias this is impossible once you figure out that you will need at least 24 inches of rear overhang for the plumbing and shower etc. Don't forget all TC's are basement designs and this will push the floor you walk on up by at least 12-14 inches. Maybe more.
The best you might come up with is a vertical stainless box. Who would want to live in that?
Don't get me wrong I love the idea and I just bought a new AF 990 TC as off the grid truck camping is awesome. But the vehicle you are choosing is probably the worst for the task. My "smallish" 990 weighs 5300 lb with water on board.
If Tesla wants to build a truck that could haul a TC it would not be that hard. Flat conventional bed/bedsides and moving the battery forward somehow would do it. And a roofline that can accept any TC including a homebuilt. You want 3-4 inches clearance max with the cabover or you will be dragging a lot of air. And dual rear wheels make the rig stable at all speeds. Tesla would need to add some kind of "frame" to bolt or weld the frame tie downs. The load on these points can be considerable under normal use and extreme in an accident. You don't want the TC and truck parting ways.
The Ford branded campers from a few years ago are built completely of aluminium. Even the cupboards. The company making them is no more but they were really neat rigs. Light and functional. I think they weighed out at about 3800 lbs dry.

Reactions: coleAK
I currently tow my wakeboat from Ohio to Norris Lake 5 to 6 times per summer. Its a 240 mile trip one way. The dry weight of the boat is 5900 and the trailer weighs 1800lbs. Well over 8000lbs when loaded up. I currently tow with a GMC 2500 denali desiel.

I currently tow my wakeboat from Ohio to Norris Lake 5 to 6 times per summer. Its a 240 mile trip one way. The dry weight of the boat is 5900 and the trailer weighs 1800lbs. Well over 8000lbs when loaded up. I currently tow with a GMC 2500 denali desiel.

Boats seem like they should be more aerodynamic, but at highway speeds not so much. Even with a good tight cover stretched over it, the top edge of the windshield is very abrupt and also the transom is squared off. They also ride up high on the trailer so don't get the benefit of drafting the tow vehicle so much. And they are just plain big and heavy as noted, One would hope that the tri-motor Cybertruck can make it the 240 miles one way in one charge pulling that boat, but its probably going to be pushing it close to the limit.

What is your fuel mileage pulling that trip compared to highway driving without the boat?

(Sounds like a Nautique G23?)

Boats seem like they should be more aerodynamic, but at highway speeds not so much. Even with a good tight cover stretched over it, the top edge of the windshield is very abrupt and also the transom is squared off. They also ride up high on the trailer so don't get the benefit of drafting the tow vehicle so much. And they are just plain big and heavy as noted, One would hope that the tri-motor Cybertruck can make it the 240 miles one way in one charge pulling that boat, but its probably going to be pushing it close to the limit.

What is your fuel mileage pulling that trip compared to highway driving without the boat?

(Sounds like a Nautique G23?)
About 21-22 mpg without boat, 14-15 pulling boat.

So only 25 to 33% reduction in mileage pulling the boat. So maybe not as bad as I was thinking. The Tri-motor CT should get you one-way pretty comfortably.

(Nice boat! I have a SAN 210).

Diesels are more efficient than gas when towing. I have no idea how it compares to a ev when towing since I never use my model x for that purpose. There are several supercharging locations on my way to the lake so I can charge when needed. Yeah, Nautiques are awesome!

Towing is going to be my biggest concern when the truck hits the ground. I love the concept on paper but my family currently pulls our travel trailer with either a 1500 Ram or our preferred 7.3 Excursion. If the CT could handle our TT, it would be fantastic. I would love to see Tesla work with the RV community. I did throw down my deposit in hopes that it will be a solid tow vehicle. I figure worst case, it can replace the Ram.

If I was Tesla I would start by working out a deal with KOA to install Superchargers at their locations. That would make longer TT trips manageable while directing Tesla traffic to KOA facilities. This could be a mutually beneficial relationship. KOA is a franchise, so that may make it more difficult. The benefit is that not only is the number of camp grounds in their portfolio extensive, they are already more expensive than the mom and pop campgrounds. As such, their customers are use to spending a bit more for amenities. Supercharger access fits right in with patio sites and 80ft pull through.

Second, I would like to see Tesla work with a trailer manufacturer to design trailers with a range extender battery. This would be big for going distances, traveling in the mountains, and traveling in winter. Obviously that wouldn't fly on a discount trailer but they come in all prices and sizes.

Tow 28 ft Air Stream. With F150 Crew V8. Most all Camp Ground have 14 50's. Also haul horse poop in a 14 ft dump
IMG_8799.png
for our garden.

Diesels are more efficient than gas when towing. I have no idea how it compares to a ev when towing since I never use my model x for that purpose. There are several supercharging locations on my way to the lake so I can charge when needed. Yeah, Nautiques are awesome!

A lot depends on how efficient the truck is to start with. In this video, they try out towing behind an X which used TRIPLE the power when towing a medium sized horse trailer.