Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you show in a demo of your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually start by having them drive around and experience single pedal. During that time, they typically ask about range and charging time. After answering questions, I tell them to push the right button and say "navigate to somewhere in another state". Making sure to point out that 99% of their driving will be home charging overnight, and that on trips they can just plug in and go to the store or restaurant without an exchange for payment.

I usually also tell them... "you already know how this works, because you have a cell phone in your pocket. If I told you you could get a phone with a little better range, but it would make loud engine noises, exhaust fumes, excess heat galore, and you had to go to the store to pour liquid fuel into it - would you buy it?" The answer is always "no".

The climax is then getting them to floor it from a full stop. When the ride is over I typically show them the frunk/trunk/under trunk/charging port and any kind of farting sounds or games on the MCU. The app is good to see as well... remote climate controls heat or cool the cabin in just a few minutes as opposed to half an hour in an ICE.

I usually start by having them drive around and experience single pedal. During that time, they typically ask about range and charging time. After answering questions, I tell them to push the right button and say "navigate to somewhere in another state". Making sure to point out that 99% of their driving will be home charging overnight, and that on trips they can just plug in and go to the store or restaurant without an exchange for payment.

I usually also tell them... "you already know how this works, because you have a cell phone in your pocket. If I told you you could get a phone with a little better range, but it would make loud engine noises, exhaust fumes, excess heat galore, and you had to go to the store to pour liquid fuel into it - would you buy it?" The answer is always "no".

The climax is then getting them to floor it from a full stop. When the ride is over I typically show them the frunk/trunk/under trunk/charging port and any kind of farting sounds or games on the MCU. The app is good to see as well... remote climate controls heat or cool the cabin in just a few minutes as opposed to half an hour in an ICE.
No cap, I would a buy a phone that made cool engine noises and kept me warm in the winter.

Acceleration. That's usually accompanied by several swear words from my passenger(s).

+1

Im not a person who is gonna give a ride to a stranger, so these are either co workers I am close to, or family / friends at my house.

I normally drive around the block to a street with a fairly long straight section that is very lightly driven, tell them "hang on, you ready?" then punch it from a stop. Usually get "ohhhh ssshhhhhh" or some variation of that. I only go from 0 to about 80 or so (which doesnt take very long, obviously).

Then I cruise back home and talk a bit about how these cars are "faster in speed usable by everyone" than anything they have ever driven, but the car is also very content cruising at slow speeds, unlike other fast cars I have had.

I then come back and park, then show them how while you are sitting still, you can sit in an air conditioned car and watch netflix or youtube, straight from the screen in park and what a nice place to wait for someone who is shopping / in a doctors appointment etc a tesla can be.

+1

Im not a person who is gonna give a ride to a stranger, so these are either co workers I am close to, or family / friends at my house.
<snip>
That is sort of my experience. When I was working, the group (up to about 15-20 people) would sometimes go out to lunch at a nearby restaurant or to a "fun" event (bowling, bocce, go-kart racing). Since I was able to haul 4 others, I'd volunteer to drive. The first time I would have a Tesla newbie inside the car, I'd give a little demo of how instant the acceleration was; normally done on a freeway on-ramp. Then I'd talk about the free L2 charging that the company provided in the parking garage and that it was all I needed at the time. I think I was mainly responsible for a co-worker, a Corvette owner, to go out and buy a Model Y when he needed a family car. Before he got the Tesla, from time to time, he'd ask me about how my car was holding up and if I was still happy with it. I gave him the good (free "fuel" from work, great acceleration, Supercharger network to allow for long distance driving, OTA updates providing new features; you know, the usual stuff) and the bad (overall fit and finish issues; although my own car does not have any problems, short tread life with the factory tires, the rash of broken rear quarter windows, optimistic estimation of battery range vs actual, potential high cost of repairs).

Any way to demo the low-latency accelerator response before letting them drive? (I bet the longest latency component is the right foot, followed by tire rubber.)

I borrowed my son's turbo diesel while visiting there. Floor its accelerator from a stop to enter a gap in cross-traffic then wait 2 seconds for the car to move. Push the right stalk up and watch it wipe the dry windshield rather than shift into reverse. Shift into reverse and expect my dash-mounted phone nav to show a backup camera. Walk away then remember to lock it via the key fob. He said, "Yeah, it's not a Tesla."

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and Lindenwood
In the early Model S days, if I knew they weren't familiar with the car, I'd offer to pop the hood and show them the motor. The frunk was often a real surprise.

With the Model 3, well, it depends who I'm giving the demo to! For a driving enthusiast I'll enter Track Mode and find some nice sweeping turns...

Me: Look how simple the cabin is… blah blah blah

Me: Being an EV, it’s so quiet… blah blah blah

Me: Check out the UI. Rumor has it Apple engineers went to Tesla … blah blah blah

Me: Charging at home is so convenient… blah blah blah

Me: But that’s not why I bought it. Ready?

Passenger: Ready for wh…

Me: /floors pedal

Passengers: [expletives]

Generally how it goes.

In the early Model S days, if I knew they weren't familiar with the car, I'd offer to pop the hood and show them the motor. The frunk was often a real surprise.

With the Model 3, well, it depends who I'm giving the demo to! For a driving enthusiast I'll enter Track Mode and find some nice sweeping turns...
This is exactly right the the older Model S. The frunk would always elicit a "Wow!" or "What?!" It was the thing that made the biggest impression and piqued the most interest. Of course, they then made it smaller in later models. 😕

This is exactly right the the older Model S. The frunk would always elicit a "Wow!" or "What?!" It was the thing that made the biggest impression and piqued the most interest. Of course, they then made it smaller in later models. 😕
The frunk was highly missed on a recent trip to the Ozarks with the X5 45e.

Really need better charging in that area.

Reactions: tm1v2