Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mechanism itself has been easy to get used to although it's a bit awkward with the handle popping out one way while the door swings open the other way. Once the door unlatches, I do not pull on the handle anymore to swing the door open; instead, I hold the end of the open door to swing it open further; smudge city!

I'm a big stickler for symmetry too - enough to bother my wife with my OCD on that front many times - so, I do find the S's handles (warts and all) more to my liking.

My biggest concern with these handles is tons of fingernail scratches all around them on the paint eventually as folks poke their thumb here, grip with their other digits there... First order of business after getting the car was to file my as well as my son's fingernails down. ;)

My biggest concern with these handles is tons of fingernail scratches all around them on the paint eventually as folks poke their thumb here, grip with their other digits there... First order of business after getting the car was to file my as well as my son's fingernails down. ;)
Aftermarket will supply clear surrounds for the door handles (like they do for my Prius) that eliminate any danger of scratching the surrounding paint.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
I have seen videos of Tesla employees who open the model 3 doors all day, using two hands. One to press the button part of the door latch and the other to pull the now slightly open door by the open end of the door. I tried that at the Palo Alto store yesterday and it was OK, but I do have big hands (like Trump) and pressing the button with the thumb and grabbing the handle with your fingers is pretty easy.

I like that I will become ambidextrous having the handles reversed on the other side of the car so I will use the other hand to open those handles. Wish I knew about the Otmar method before I was at the store. Cannot wait to see how that works.

-Randy

I like the flush handles on the outside, however I have heard over and over that people keep pulling up the inside emergency handle instead of hitting the exit button with their thumb.

It has bene said that Tesla warns people that extended use of the interior emergency door release might break the window mechanism.

I might gorilla tape mine down.

Once the door unlatches, I do not pull on the handle anymore to swing the door open; instead, I hold the end of the open door to swing it open furthe

That means two things:

- opening the door is not one smooth motion
- would need two hands.

What a mess !! overly engineered.

The door handles on the Model 3 will not be as unreliable as Model S.

There.. I fixed it for you.

Doesn't sound like it will be any problem, but then, I was raised on car doors that had push buttons. Grabbing the door to finish opening it sounds like every car I've ever owned, with the exception of the side door on my Sprinter. It takes both hands to get it rolling and the only thing you can get a grip on is the handle.

When its really cold. As in 1F they have stayed stuck out for a few moments till pushed back. Probably residual moisture from road spray. I will shoot a video when I get around to it. It will still be cold here for a few days.

Yes I know 1F is nothing. Just cold compared to all the CA model 3 owners that I wish I was still with. The warm was gone in New Mexico.

I appreciate that they are flush and provide good aero.
I appreciate the mechanical nature that feels solid and I bet will be reliable.
But I find them a bit awkward to use... It is easy enough to push on one end to make it swivel, but I find it a bit "fumbly" to grab the handle to pull back on the door. The procedure is different from left side to right side.
Are those with Model 3s finding the door handles easy enough to use on a daily basis?
I found the Model 3 door handles really awkward at first. After my wife pointed out that you had to switch hands depending on which side of the car you were opening and I practiced for a while with the demo car at the Fremont delivery center while waiting for our Model 3 to be detailed prior to delivery, things started to get more natural.

We got the car on Wednesday and by now the door handles seem perfectly natural to use. Our three year old figured them out right away so I think it has more to do with being different from what adults who have driven conventional cars for several decades have gotten used to vs. being inherently difficult to use.

Cargo space (compared to a 2013 Mode S with the massive frunk) and having to move the driver's seat forward when a rear facing child's seat is behind the driver's seat are much bigger issues for me than the door handles. But the Model 3 is much smaller, more nimble, and much
I appreciate that they are flush and provide good aero.
I appreciate the mechanical nature that feels solid and I bet will be reliable.
But I find them a bit awkward to use... It is easy enough to push on one end to make it swivel, but I find it a bit "fumbly" to grab the handle to pull back on the door. The procedure is different from left side to right side.
Are those with Model 3s finding the door handles easy enough to use on a daily basis?

I found the driver's side door handles on the demo car at the Fremont delivery center very awkward to use at first, but the handles on the passengers side weren't too bad. Then my wife pointed out I was trying to use my right hand in both cases. Once I switched to using my left hand on the driver's side doors and practiced for a while on the demo car, it started to feel more natural. That was Wednesday and by Thursday it felt completely natural and I haven't given it much thought since then (and it's officially my wife's car, I just try to borrow it as often as possible). Our three-year-old figured it out even faster than I did so I think it may have more to do with unlearning habits from driving for several decades than the model 3 handles being hard to use.

The only time the model 3 door handles caused me any trouble since Wednesday was this morning when I took the 3 to Starbucks and had to open the car door while carrying three sandwiches and two latte macchiatos. In the Model S, I can open the door handle with my pinkie finger. But with the model 3, I had to set some of the stuff on the roof while I opened the door. But that's seems like a small price to pay to make the car more affordable and hopefully avoid the five door handle replacements I've had with my Model S.

I finally updated my avatar after 5 years and now I can't edit my franken-post above. Perhaps a moderator can help with that. Anyway, the version I intended to post about the door handles was:

I found the driver's side door handles on the demo car at the Fremont delivery center very awkward to use at first, but the handles on the passengers side weren't too bad. Then my wife pointed out I was trying to use my right hand in both cases. Once I switched to using my left hand on the driver's side doors and practiced for a while on the demo car, it started to feel more natural. That was Wednesday and by Thursday it felt completely natural and I haven't given it much thought since then (and it's officially my wife's car, I just try to borrow it as often as possible). Our three-year-old figured it out even faster than I did so I think it may have more to do with unlearning habits from driving for several decades than the model 3 handles being hard to use.

The only time the model 3 door handles caused me any trouble since Wednesday was this morning when I took the 3 to Starbucks and had to open the car door while carrying three sandwiches and two latte macchiatos. In the Model S, I can open the door handle with my pinkie finger. But with the model 3, I had to set some of the stuff on the roof while I opened the door. But that's seems like a small price to pay to make the car more affordable and hopefully avoid the five door handle replacements I've had with my Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Engineering for aerodynamic's sake.
Has anyone calculated the difference in range the "flat" Model 3 handles provide over something like the BMW 3 series handles which are a traditional hollowed out scoop behind the handle and a slightly outwardly curved bar for the hand to pull? Are we talking 10 miles of range per charge difference or 1 (or none?).

Has anyone calculated the difference in range the "flat" Model 3 handles provide over something like the BMW 3 series handles which are a traditional hollowed out scoop behind the handle and a slightly outwardly curved bar for the hand to pull? Are we talking 10 miles of range per charge difference or 1 (or none?).

You would need to test both cars in the same wind tunnel to make a scientifically valid conclusion.

Ha. So I guess I can finally relax and let my hubby and one daughter chew their nails in peace? Ugh
<snip>

• Funny
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
I wonder if it'll be annoying when both of your hands are full carrying stuff.

Not that it would be a particularly frequent or serious issue, but sometimes when I've got my arms full, I only need a free finger or two to open a door with my current car's "normal" handles. But the Model 3 handles might require a whole free hand. Pretty minor thing, but still.

Also, I wonder about when the car is covered in ice. I presume you'd be able to push hard enough on the fat end of the hockey stick to break the ice, but maybe not. But, I if need be, I suppose you could just break the ice with a fist/elbow or get an ice scraper out of the trunk.

Last edited: