Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the door handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan but they're not a deal breaker. They are cumbersome to use. More than that, I find the omission of a power liftgate to be borderline unforgivable on a $56,000 car with the "premium options" package. And I know it's coming but I'd like to buy the car now instead of waiting.
I find the lack of a motorized soft close for the frunk a much bigger omission on all the Tesla cars. The Model 3 has a trunk, not a giant utility liftgate that actually needs power assist.

Reactions: gaswalla
I find the lack of a motorized soft close for the frunk a much bigger omission on all the Tesla cars. The Model 3 has a trunk, not a giant utility liftgate that actually needs power assist.
Well if Tesla gets their production ramp going, a 3rd party retrofit cinch motor seems quite reasonable... Maybe a couple gear headed Cal Poly grads could work together and make that happen ;)

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
I not a giant utility liftgate that actually needs power assist.

The only utility that I see in a POWER moving object is when you cannot balance the door on a hinge. I know the Chevy advertises their SUVs with people wagging their feet under the car to ask it to open, but if I have to push ANY button to open a door or hatch, that button might as well be on that surface and allow me to open it manually. This makes me love the M3 way more than the crazy X with it's remote controlled doors in the shape of the Tesla T

Every car I have ever owned let you grab the button and raise the trunk or open the door. If it's no longer balanced get a new gas strut. Of course then designing the hatch so that you cannot close it w/o using two hands sucks for ANYONE carrying something OR those with only one arm. How did that end up on the Model 3?

-Randy

The only utility that I see in a POWER moving object is when you cannot balance the door on a hinge. I know the Chevy advertises their SUVs with people wagging their feet under the car to ask it to open, but if I have to push ANY button to open a door or hatch, that button might as well be on that surface and allow me to open it manually. This makes me love the M3 way more than the crazy X with it's remote controlled doors in the shape of the Tesla T

Every car I have ever owned let you grab the button and raise the trunk or open the door. If it's no longer balanced get a new gas strut. Of course then designing the hatch so that you cannot close it w/o using two hands sucks for ANYONE carrying something OR those with only one arm. How did that end up on the Model 3?

-Randy
Power open/close on SUVs/Crossovers are also good for short people that can't reach the door when it's completely open.

Reactions: israndy
People in the back seats have a massive glass panel above their heads that simply pushes out in an emergency. If someone can design a flush handle that is simpler then tell me, I'll patent it immediately and happily give you 30% cut of the licencing ;)

I appreciate that they are flush and provide good aero.
I appreciate the mechanical nature that feels solid and I bet will be reliable.
But I find them a bit awkward to use... It is easy enough to push on one end to make it swivel, but I find it a bit "fumbly" to grab the handle to pull back on the door. The procedure is different from left side to right side.
Are those with Model 3s finding the door handles easy enough to use on a daily basis?

Took delivery 12/28. Love to give test rides, but the door handles (inside and out) are very annoying. At least half the people have trouble with them. Yes, most eventually figure it out but I don't know that the slight aerodynamic benefits are worth it - they are still electronically controlled, just slightly simpler than MS since they don't "present". Inside doors are even worse because you have to remember to tell passengers before they reach for the inuitive emergency release that will damage your seals, Poor design in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
Took delivery 12/28. Love to give test rides, but the door handles (inside and out) are very annoying. At least half the people have trouble with them. Yes, most eventually figure it out but I don't know that the slight aerodynamic benefits are worth it - they are still electronically controlled, just slightly simpler than MS since they don't "present". Inside doors are even worse because you have to remember to tell passengers before they reach for the inuitive emergency release that will damage your seals, Poor design in my opinion.
All that it matters is - its different.. err. innovative. Whether it really serves any purpose or just eye candy it doesn't matter.

We just discovered a hidden "safety feature" of the Model 3 door handles...While waiting at the Van Nuys Amtrak station to pick up a friend, a very intoxicated woman walked up to our car. She seemed to think we were her ride, and started fumbling with the handle, trying to figure out how to open the door. Since there was nothing for her to grab, she was totally stymied...just kind of pawing at the door with a confused look on her face.

The car was actually unlocked at the time, but since she couldn't figure out the handles, she didn't actually get the door open or into the car. (I quickly tapped the lock icon on the screen, and then opened the window and talked with her. Thankfully, she was harmless, just a bit confused, and we saw someone else pick her up later.)

Confusing handles, for the win!

I'm worried about fingernail scratches

I owned a few BMWs in my past and people some how always scratched the inner side of the door handle with their nail. If you look at how BMW door handles look like, it has a grabbing part with a scoop in the inner part of the door for fingers to enter.

BMWs were rather fine since where the nail touch the paint is hidden by the outer part of the handle. But since fingernails may make contact to the exterior paint on Model 3, I will be covering the surroundings of the handle with a clear protective film or something.

I'm worried about fingernail scratches

I owned a few BMWs in my past and people some how always scratched the inner side of the door handle with their nail. If you look at how BMW door handles look like, it has a grabbing part with a scoop in the inner part of the door for fingers to enter.

BMWs were rather fine since where the nail touch the paint is hidden by the outer part of the handle. But since fingernails may make contact to the exterior paint on Model 3, I will be covering the surroundings of the handle with a clear protective film or something.
e7577e100086d7e43a10a574fa73c4bb--wolverines-funny-cats.jpg