Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of the uberturbine wheels on the M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original plan was to replace them!

I've had aftermarket wheels on ever car I've owned for the last few decades - in some cases, I went through multiple sets on the same car (or had a couple at the same time, when I had dedicated track wheels/tires). I've even had manufacturers give me free sets for photos, marketing, etc., so I've had a pretty awesome range of styles.

Now that I've had the car for over a month, I am totally digging on them, the style looks a good bit different that most of the other wheels on the road. Heck, many of the aftermarket wheels look like al the other aftermarket wheels and several OEM styles, so different winds up being more of the same :D

I agree the OEM tire fitment is a little narrow on a 9" wide wheel, but the great thing is a 245 or 255 tire will fit great, so just a tire swap for an improvement (still planning on this).

I'm also really liking the color with our MSM exterior. I plan on a few more wheel related upgrades, in addition to the aforementioned tire change, I've already removed the lug covers, added Tesla hub center caps with red logos, some red valve stem caps, and for the time, using the plastic, black lug covers that came with the center caps - but I've got a killer set of aftermarket lugs sitting here, along with some 5mm slipover spacers I intend to install when I get new tires :)

How would that apply to tires you didn't purchase from them (e.g. OEM)?
When you purchase a new car, the tire is warrantied by the tire manufacturer only (not Tesla) for defects and premature wear. Road hazards/repair are "partially covered" by Tesla's Roadside Assistance for 4 years/50K miles. I say partially covered because they may help you get from A to B, but for the actual repair you may still be on the hook for.

Last edited:
Had my car about a month and always loved the look of the uberturbines. I suppose they do chip easily as I’ve already got a ding on one of the wheels, likely from a rock. No plans to switch them out.

I don’t quite get what the deal is with people complaining that it curbs easily. In my experience, all rims get curbed nastily because well, you hit a curb. Just don’t hit the curb. Right??

From a looks perspective, it reminds me of late 80's or early 90's wheel designs.

Certainly with design, there are trends that age out and some return as design is very cyclical. However, some designs are functionally specific, so while they may slightly favor an older style aesthetically, they're extremely modern in overall concept. For example, look at Lucid's wheel design:

1628015896784.png

Squint and those are Überturbines. They look modern because that __is__ the current design trend, particularly in EVs - plus they have a specific engineering rationale.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Certainly with design, there are trends that age out and some return as design is very cyclical. However, some designs are functionally specific, so while they may slightly favor an older style aesthetically, they're extremely modern in overall concept. For example, look at Lucid's wheel design. Squint and those are Überturbines. They look modern because that __is__ the current design trend, particularly in EVs - plus they have a specific engineering rationale.
All true. That said, it doesn't change the fact that they're cast, they're heavy, and they're overpriced. Whether you like their look or not is up to personal taste. And yes, dark/silver/two tone/white/bronze/polished/chrome wheels are all trends that come and go. What doesn't change with time is the advantage of lower weight and higher strength, neither of which the Uberturbines achieve given the short sidewall of the tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Davlt
So did my 18" aeros. Dealer even threw in the wheel covers because they wanted to me to roll in style. 🤣

I didn't get covers ...

I'm going to pull a grandpa Simpsons, "I didn't pay for 'em, I' don't need 'em, but if they don't give me a set, I'll raise hell !"

:D

Funny enough, I probably, very slightly, "de-aero'ed" my wheels a bit as I'm running without the center covers. Since they have a nice, deep, hub area, it adds a lot to the looks, and an inexpensive set of hub caps and lug covers made it looked nicely finished. Still have to do my spacers and aftermarket lugs, but waiting to move to 255/35 tires.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt