Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you wish FSD could do (now or in the future)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a rural area and so there's very little advantage of FSD over TACC, at least until it doesn't need my attention ever. That has kept me from purchasing the package.
The other day I was thinking of scenarios that would convince me to purchase the package and here's what I came up with:

1) If I could haul my kayak up stream, float down, and summon the car ~10 miles down stream to then drive it home. That would be a game changer for me!

2) Driving you home from a concert/sports event/etc... where you've had too much to drink.

3) If it had a follow mode so I could be hauling my camper and the car would trail us to our destination.

Those three sound extremely simple if/when FSD leaves beta and liability leaves the owner/driver.
What other ideas do you guys have?

2) Driving you home from a concert/sports event/etc... where you've had too much to drink.
I don't think that FSD is at the advancd level where you can just seat in your car and close your eyes.
But the current FSD could potentially prevent to crash in case you fall asleep:

- by detecting if you don't keep you hand pressed on the steering wheel,
and may be the camera above the rear miror could watch over you, but I don't know if this is already active.

- also FSD, but I assume at somepoint TACC, could prevent bad situations
by keeping your car in your lane, or to stop your car to avoid a crash....

I would recommend watching this video The Differences Between Tesla ACC, Autosteer and NOA
that might help to understand the difference between TACC and FSD, which is not always clear for me.

Last edited:
I live in a rural area and so there's very little advantage of FSD over TACC, at least until it doesn't need my attention ever. That has kept me from purchasing the package.
The other day I was thinking of scenarios that would convince me to purchase the package and here's what I came up with:

1) If I could haul my kayak up stream, float down, and summon the car ~10 miles down stream to then drive it home. That would be a game changer for me!

3) If it had a follow mode so I could be hauling my camper and the car would trail us to our destination.

Those three sound extremely simple if/when FSD leaves beta and liability leaves the owner/driver.
What other ideas do you guys have?

Those are all good goals but what I want the most is for Tesla to catch up with the ability to avoid accidents like the way Waymo has been able to with a blind man behind the wheel in a Prius in 2012 and again in the Firefly without the steering wheel in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: CorneliusRox
1) Anticipate.
2) Slow down smoothly without jerk.
3) Merge smoothly.
4) Stay in drivable space (not simple lane-line keeping); smooth out tight high-speed corners by adjusting lane positioning.
5) Allow smooth driver steering adjustment without disengaging (for road debris, etc).
6) Remove or reduce torque sensing and replace with driver monitoring when conditions allow.
7) Add more background active safety features when not in Autosteer.

Reactions: ammulder
1. Navigate on Autopilot in HOV lanes
2. Decelerate more slowly for upcoming red lights. What's the point of waiting then decelerating quickly to a complete stop? Teenager driving techniques ha ha.
3. Avoid entering "death zones" - next to large trucks with pacing car in front of you and "the wall" 2 feet away. "Stuck in the death zone"
4. Anticipate "California s**thead" maneuvers, where a car zips by on the right, slams on the brakes for the slower car ahead, then cuts you off with an unsafe lane change. I've seen several wrecks, one fatal, from this. Particularly popular on SoCal freeways. Anticipate from vehicle passing on right at high relative speed.

I live in a small mountain top and I like to walk down to get Starbucks, but take hours to walk back up. I wish I can summon my car to pick me up.

Also, I used to have long commute to work so would be nice to nap on the way there and back. Now working from anyway, I like my car to drive somewhere at night while I slept, and I wake up near a national park or a supercharger.

Definitely should have added the thing about not setting up a campsite in people's blind spots to my list. Not that hard to avoid and provide latitude on following distance to avoid it. Driving 101.
DEFINITELY - I simply missed that. The body repair shops will all tell you that the most common accident results from being in someone's blind spot. Now ... there is a way to set up your mirrors so you do not have a blind spot!! Learned at the Maricopa County driving course needed to get a county vehicle driving permit. My Model X's left mirror will not move out far enough to be just right :-(((

Drive through a tunnel that is limited to just Tesla cars. I mean if they can't even get FSD working in tunnels made just for them with no other traffic and no pedestrians I don't have much hope for it working on the streets with other cars.

Very disappointed in the Boring tunnel transport system.