Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else does Tesla need to bundle to increase Model S sales?

Which should be included next?

• Full self driving

• Longer bumper to bumper warranty (10 years, 100,000 miles)

• Premium connectivity for life (non-transferable)

• Other obvious feature

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just thinking about this today when I received an email from Tesla promoting the free supercharging on the S. Sure, free supercharging is nice, but that doesn't really scratch the surface of what holds me back:
1. It's way overpriced. The S should have a starting price around where the 3 maxes out (so around 60k base). I'd be fine if that was for the now discontinued short range version.
2. Introduce a premium customer service option for S owners (always able to get someone on the phone, guaranteed loaners, guaranteed service appts within, say, 2 weeks). Tesla has now developed a bad reputation in this area so they need to do something to reassure prospective buyers.
3. Give me another interior option other than fake leather. This is one of my top dealbreakers right now since fake leather makes me sweat profusely. I'm fine with cloth, microsuede, real leather, anything else.
4. Fix bluetooth audio integration (full playlist/artist/album integration instead of just basic forward/back)
5. Bring back opening pano roof. Having a piece of glass that doesn't open just rubs salt in the wound. Not having this feature on an 80k car is insane.
6. Bring back SiriusXM (not having it is a dealbreaker for my wife)
7. More choices for audio app integration (I don't care whether they do it natively, offer Carplay, offer their own smartphone mirroriing solution, etc) but it's gotta be something more than they have now which is just Slacker in the US.
8. Bring back the ability to select tracks/stations from the steering wheel and cluster (every car I've had since 2013 has been able to do that)
9. Add door pockets. These already exist on the closely related X so I can't imagine it takes much engineering effort.

All of these should be pretty easy things for them to do-- most of them are things they already had at one point.

If they cut the price by 20k, addressed customer service and brought back cloth seats that might be sufficient. Maybe i'll email this list to someone at tesla

Last edited:
If they cut the price by 20k, addressed customer service and brought back cloth seats that might be sufficient.

Cutting the cost by $20k (or 25% of its base price) would effectively wipe out it's entire profit margin and then some - this is not happening.

The S/X isn't mis-priced, the 3 is.

I really like your idea #2. Premium service for their premium line makes a lot of sense.

Ummm...drop the price...so normal people can afford it.
It really is as simple as this, the market is and always will be limited when it comes to this price range. The M3 will continue to be the more realistic option for the average consumer willing to push their budget a little bit to get into this technology. Many who could afford to push it even further aren't going to see the need unless the MS is redesigned to be a significantly better vehicle/better technology than the M3, currently that is simply not the case. Maybe distinguish the Performance models even more for those willing and able to go well over $100k for a vehicle, but keep the base MS closer to M3 pricing for those just wanting a more full-size sedan.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The service is killing me. My son gets better service with his Civic.

I love my MS and rave about it. However, if anyone shows any interest in getting a Tesla, I have to warn them about the service.

When it's time for another car, I'll definitely look at EVs, but Tesla must improve service before I consider another MS (or even a 3).

Reactions: tinm
Many great suggestions here.

For me, the biggest item would be adjustable front seat belts, like on the X and 3. I have to use a clip to alter the geometry of the shoulder belt, or it cuts into my neck. Yes, I have tried all kinds of seating positions...

The main reason I'd like to see lifetime internet and supercharging is so I would not have to worry about cost and payments. It would make ownership really simple.

The same would be true for a longer warranty. But the bigger reason why this would be helpful is that there are no independent techs that can make simple repairs for a lesser price. As the cars get older, this will become increasingly important.

I think the base model should have basic summit that allows me to get the car in and out of a narrow parking spot. I don't need advanced summit; I'm OK, if it is part of the self driving package.

Forgot some things:

• Free supercharging that follows the car
  • Not throw any curve balls regarding sudden changes of pricing etc on new models
  • Don't dump the prices on inventory
  • Sunroof
  • Real leather
  • Ventilated seats
  • User Interface adapted to the vertical screen, not model 3 UI shoehorned into the screen. Bring back V8 split screen!
  • Bring faster AC charging back
  • Get SW updates first before any Model 3
  • Get new features first before any Model 3. None of that nonsense where Model 3 had NoA for ages in Europe where S/X got it months later. Unacceptable!
  • Priority at the service center
  • Bigger battery, 130kWh so the range actually is longer in real terms than Model 3
  • Tow hitch option on S. Automatically retracting tow hitch without manual action as on other premium models

Totally agree with the incessant call for an opening roof. My 2013 S P85+ with 70k miles runs awesome and smooth, is trouble-free, is fast enough and has nice opening roof and third row seating. I would upgrade to Raven in a heartbeat if I could get those same options in the new car. At this point it would feel like a downgrade for my needs!!!!!!

Reactions: ICUDoc and tinm
Maybe it's time Tesla brings the new flagship model above Model S. Or maybe this is their big picture as the Model S and X price is getting lower. If this is their plan, then the current Model S doesn't need to be drastically different. It still well competes with 5 series or E class. Not so much with upper class 7 and S.

Model 3 competes with BMW 3/4 series, Audi A3/4, Mercedes C Class. Not so much surprise here.
Media tend to compare Model S with BMW 6/7 series, Mercedes S class, Audi A7/8. However, many people think the Model S is a lot more comparable to BMW 5 series and E class Audi A5/6, due to size and total ownership cost etc. Also they think that way because they feel the interior of Model S is not competing with that of the S class. (Personally I prefer austere Model S interior more. YMMV)

If Tesla brings up the new flagship model with awesome exterior like Model S, much better luxury interior that caters to many people's taste, slightly longer and bigger cabin, 450+ miles (at least 120kWh), faster supercharger, solid FUSC (no more flip flopping) to owners, Panoramic roof, and maybe 0-60 closer to low 2 seconds, better warranty, then I bet that will crush the 7 Series and S class like in 2015-2016.

Maybe it's time Tesla brings the new flagship model above Model S. Or maybe this is their big picture as the Model S and X price is getting lower. If this is their plan, then the current Model S doesn't need to be drastically different. It still well competes with 5 series or E class. Not so much with upper class 7 and S.

Model 3 competes with BMW 3/4 series, Audi A3/4, Mercedes C Class. Not so much surprise here.
Media tend to compare Model S with BMW 6/7 series, Mercedes S class, Audi A7/8. However, many people think the Model S is a lot more comparable to BMW 5 series and E class Audi A5/6, due to size and total ownership cost etc. Also they think that way because they feel the interior of Model S is not competing with that of the S class. (Personally I prefer austere Model S interior more. YMMV)

If Tesla brings up the new flagship model with awesome exterior like Model S, much better luxury interior that caters to many people's taste, slightly longer and bigger cabin, 450+ miles (at least 120kWh), faster supercharger, solid FUSC (no more flip flopping) to owners, Panoramic roof, and maybe 0-60 closer to low 2 seconds, better warranty, then I bet that will crush the 7 Series and S class like in 2015-2016.

Yep. Doug Demuro wrote an article on this a while back- pointing out that the Model S competitors are not the 7 series/ S class but rather the 5 series / E class:
Autotrader - page unavailable

Tesla started the S class comparison when the S was introduced and they had their "residual value guarantee" tied to the S class residual. It was/is advantageous to compare their car to the full-size German sedans because the sales numbers are, of course, lower as are the residual values. In typical Musk/Tesla fashion they seized on a seeming objective measure (EPA size class) to justify this comparison but it doesn't really hold up. If you really want to be specific, the Audi A7 ( a hatchback version of the midszie A6 sedan) is probably the closest vehicle in terms of size/price/form factor.

When configured as close as possible to a base Model S, you'd end up with something like this (Premium Plus with cold weather and driver assistance) for 76k. Base S is 79k - ~2k tax credit so call it 77k. It's almost always possible to get a mass produced car for atleast 5% off sticker so lets say the true price of the Audi is likely 72k. Let's give Tesla some credit for gas savings for the typical period that a new buyer would own or lease one of these (4 year warranty). Call it $100/month on average in savings so deduct another 5k. Great, they're both at 72k! Tesla has a better drivetrain and is quicker but Audi has the missing features that many of consider deal breakers. And Tesla's customer service is lacking compared to the average Audi dealer. So they likely need to drop price to compensate or address the issues*. Things look even worse if you compare leases (since Tesla has some insanely bad lease programs), but let's ignore that for now.

I also suggest sending your submititng your feedback using Tesla's customer support form; they're never going to see it on this site.

*If you're a die-hard EV enthusiast, this comparison doesn't apply of course. But given that they also want the S to appeal to people who'd otherwise consider an ICE car I think it's a fair comparison. Someone who values the EV / Tesla brand aspect above all else is more likely to save money and get a Model 3 instead. So they're losing on both sides given that they let the S languish a bit while not cutting the price enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: computerchuck
Now interior options on the performance model s are extra. Up to $2000 extra.

Uh, hey Tesla! This is backwards. The model s is too expensive. You need to bundle more stuff, not unbundle and charge more! Jiminy Christmas. :(. Very sad. Very sad indeed.

Do they thin because they raised the P3D price $1k that upping interior costs on the performance model is now okay?

Believe also, that an upgraded, luxury interior would appeal to some more high end buyers.

The Model S is the most beautiful car in the Tesla lineup. Has some gravitas that others don't. Pulling up to a curb to pick up a passenger in an S has much more drama than in a Model 3.

It has the remarkable hatch back design that allows easy carrying of multiple sets of golf clubs.

On long trips, it is a far more comfortable ride than the 3. Quieter too.

Some high end stitching on the seats, a little pananche on the dash and an over the top sound system could bring is some more buyers.

The Model 3 is a more nimble city car, but for those wishing to stretch their legs, the Model S is outstanding.

The penny pinchers will say the Model 3 gives better value, but the Model S owners know automatically that the Model S gives them more car.

Owner of 3 Model S's going back to early 2013:

1. Waze integration
2. Spotify, Tidal and Deezer integration in dash @ high bitrate - see thread here - Elon confirms Spotify is coming to US
3. Noise cancelling for wind noise reduction and more insulation
4. More range - (I like to drive 80+, speed kills range) I would pay for 600 miles of range.
5. propane tank option for those that live in the far north and need rapid cabin heating. (more range alternative strategy)
6. mono block forged wheels 19 or 20 on the sport/flagship performance model (21's are over the top in this weight class)
7. Towing option - 5000 lbs minimum
8. Moon Roof (bigger is better)
9. Better front lighting (Laser headlights preferred)
10. Carbon Fiber accents verses that crappy chrome trim that shows fingerprints. (doors handles and trim)
11. Alexa or whatever voice integration
12. Audiophile sound system option
13. Air-conditioned seats
14. Huber Optic Tint standard (or like product) or photo reactive tint.
15. Weight loss program
16. Make FSD or whatever its called this month - standard on the premium/flagship product.
17. Leather (cow, kangaroo, buffalo, goat, whatever - they are getting slaughtered for food, may as well use the byproducts)
18. Safety features:
a. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - so I don't have F with my phone while trying to drive - should be law about that ;)
b. USB Type C 3 AMP plugs - lots of them...
c. Head-up display - so I don't have to look down while driving
d. Wifi Hotspot - 5G when it is released
e. Wireless charging pad
f. rear hatch open with foot sweep (when my hands are full)
g. Adjustable seatbelt anchors for my petite wife who gets chopped in the neck by the shoulder belt
h. 110 volt power outlet
i. whole house power tether for emergency energy.
j. 360 camera
k. Laser headlights once DOT wakes the F up - Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
l. Better cabin lighting and trunk/frunk lighting - I'm getting old and these eyes need more lumens to see..
19. Track Mode for sport model S's
20. Faster than Model 3 Supercharging
21. Free Supercharging on Flagship products
22. Bepoke Service for your premium return customers
a. Car of their choice or Uber Black until service returned
b. Move to front of service line on first call with special phone #
c. priority mobile service
d. priority roadside assistance service
23. Acceleration - just make it so I continue to see everyone in my rear view mirror. - you are doing superior here...

Last edited:
Reactions: computerchuck
2. Introduce a premium customer service option for S owners (always able to get someone on the phone, guaranteed loaners, guaranteed service appts within, say, 2 weeks). Tesla has now developed a bad reputation in this area so they need to do something to reassure prospective buyers.

This would be it for me. Sort of concierge service where we have a real, live, human contact to arrange any necessary service issues, resolve questions about how to use the car, and a method to escalate issues that cannot be corrected timely.

There is another thread that is discussing the ignorance of Tesla drivers as to all the features and gizmos and gadgets that are available with the car. A suggestion was made that Tesla should distribute periodic reminders, tips, and tricks for the owners to educate them about all the features. This would be another area that this premium customer service could perform.