Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front motor is less than $1k to build and if it’s disabled the rwd will still get 325 I bet. If the cheapest premium car is almost $50k they still make a nice profit. Look at the weight of the cars. They are all the same except standard range. Standard range will be different for sure. They can’t afford to put the extra battery cells or motor in it.
If it was that easy to get more range from the front motor, the LR RWD and LR AWD would get the same range. I wish, as I ha e the AWD, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

The front motor is less than $1k to build and if it’s disabled the rwd will still get 325 I bet

That is physically impossible without making changes to the car that make 0 sense to do.

Elon just commented on that fact yesterday- that the inability to disconnect the front motor is why the 3 AWD cars get less range than single-motor, and adding the disconnect capacity adds too much cost and complexity for a tiny benefit.

They appear to be the same car. The sr+ battery cells are locked out. They disconnected some speakers. They disabled some features on the LCD. I bet sr+ owners get upgrade options later that let them unlock their cars into an MR.

If you have the money LR is just nice to have. I never have to worry about my battery getting low and thats good piece of mind.

Actually a poster here with the username @GigaGrunt, with a location of nevada, stated there are 3 different battery packs for the Model 3. The SR/SR+ pack, the MR pack, and the LR pack. When asked "what proof do you have" they replied with *wink*.

If anyone takes a second to think about the user name, and the location it will become very obvious that this poster is likely posting with direct knowledge, so I dont think your assertion that SR+ and MR are the same pack is correct.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Actually a poster here with the username @GigaGrunt, with a location of nevada, stated there are 3 different battery packs for the Model 3. The SR/SR+ pack, the MR pack, and the LR pack. When asked "what proof do you have" they replied with *wink*.

If anyone takes a second to think about the user name, and the location it will become very obvious that this poster is likely posting with direct knowledge, so I dont think your assertion that SR+ and MR are the same pack is correct.
I believe he's stated before that he works or worked at the Gigafactory.

The original battery seemed to have two additions that could be added to it. But, if you look at the weight, you can tell what’s in each car right now. That might change later, but they are trying to get cars out fast and make cash using parts they already have. The SR wasn’t ready, so they made the SR+ which is a nonsensical idea otherwise. Having different options adds to the complexity of the manufacturing process. They have sold unlockable batteries before. It’s a good business model.

The original battery seemed to have two additions that could be added to it. But, if you look at the weight, you can tell what’s in each car right now. That might change later, but they are trying to get cars out fast and make cash using parts they already have. The SR wasn’t ready, so they made the SR+ which is a nonsensical idea otherwise. Having different options adds to the complexity of the manufacturing process. They have sold unlockable batteries before. It’s a good business model.

All sound logic.. however I am going to go with the information from the person who worked at the factory and saw what was in the cars first hand.

Reactions: InParadise
That is physically impossible without making changes to the car that make 0 sense to do.

Elon just commented on that fact yesterday- that the inability to disconnect the front motor is why the 3 AWD cars get less range than single-motor, and adding the disconnect capacity adds too much cost and complexity for a tiny benefit.
Just going off the weight. The LR rwd and LR Awd weigh the same right now. Unless its a mistake that indicates the same car. The sr weighs the same as an mr. Maybe its a mistake on their site. If its not then there’s no other explanation.

Just going off the weight. The LR rwd and LR Awd weigh the same right now. Unless its a mistake that indicates the same car. The sr weighs the same as an mr. Maybe its a mistake on their site. If its not then there’s no other explanation.

It's absolutely a mistake if they're all the same..(though the MR isn't even on the website anymore)

Last edited:
Maybe you guys are just shooting the breeze.

For what I am reading, you guys are putting too much thought into the advertised weights and making too many assumption based on it. It is allowable for manufacturers to overstate weights in advertising because for one thing, GVW allows for that.

Hopefully someone isn’t buying one car counting on extra software limited batteries or an extra motor being there, which we know isn’t because disassembled and salvaged RWD have proven that there is no motor there. Seems to be people who look at numbers but don’t look at more obvious sources.

I said I was guessing but here’s why it makes sense if that’s the reason for the weights. It’s called speculation.

As for the SR+ it is absolutely a partially disabled midrange right now in its current form.

As for SR it will definitely be different and have a small battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: Argyle
For the sake of people who are deciding.

Can you please post something that is definitive that isn’t based off of advertised weights. Last we heard, the MR was a LR with dummy cells in the packs so that they could use the same packs for ease of manufacturing.

So now the conversation in this thread is that the SR+ is just a locked MR pack. But for what purpose? It would be just the same for them to put more dummy cells.

Why don’t they use the switched reluctance for both motors?

Originally I had assumed that they would... Then was surprised when the front motor was old-style induction.
But I heard something along the lines of "only the induction motor can 'torque sleep' " so maybe at least one of the motors has to be induction in a front/rear dual drive system.

• Helpful
For the sake of people who are deciding.

Can you please post something that is definitive that isn’t based off of advertised weights. Last we heard, the MR was a LR with dummy cells in the packs so that they could use the same packs for ease of manufacturing.

So now the conversation in this thread is that the SR+ is just a locked MR pack. But for what purpose? It would be just the same for them to put more dummy cells.
The fastest way to clear out the MR is to sell it at a discount. The difference between 240 and 265 miles is nominal at best. Just reprogram some MR’s to get rid of them by disabling some features and sell them off at cost. Focus on LR and SR only. Maybe the Lr rwd doesn’t have the motor and they are selling it at the same weight? Maybe its a mistake? Maybe they want to simplify production with only two versions of model 3? Maybe they are using dummy cells and weights though unlikely for small differences. It’s all speculation, but since ap and fsd follow the software upgrade model, why not do that with more features and get cash from owners later, especially if the cost is small and that cost is absorbed by simplifying production?

Again, I am speculating.

The SR+ might be the worst idea any car company has ever had. They probably software disabled the speakers, but even if they removed them, which I doubt, it is still a midrange car. $2,000 for premium interior, almost the same range, and close to the same sound. Give me a break. It’s a fire sale. No other company would do this. I would trade back my car in a second to buy one that looks exactly the same with a little less range and not quite as amazing sound to save $12,000.