Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does make zero sense period. You have to admit that sr+ is a crazy idea. No company sells a premium interior for $2k. Also the sr+ still costs around $30,000 to build even with the amp and subwoofer removed. There’s still no profit margin on it. Everything else is there. This version is to get cars out the door before the sr is ready.

The sr, sr+, and mr weigh the same. I must assume at this point the sr+ is an mr being liquidated with a few features removed and soon will be discontinued. I could be wrong, but that’s the only way this strategy can be justified because people will buy an sr+ ten times before they buy an sr, an mr, or even an LR. It makes every other model harder to justify.

I bought an SR+, hoping you're right it's a locked MR

They appear to be the same car. The sr+ battery cells are locked out. They disconnected some speakers. They disabled some features on the LCD. I bet sr+ owners get upgrade options later that let them unlock their cars into an MR.

If you have the money LR is just nice to have. I never have to worry about my battery getting low and thats good piece of mind.

Not true.
Speakers and the wiring are not there. confirmed.

It does make zero sense period. You have to admit that sr+ is a crazy idea. No company sells a premium interior for $2k. Also the sr+ still costs around $30,000 to build even with the amp and subwoofer removed. There’s still no profit margin on it. Everything else is there. This version is to get cars out the door before the sr is ready.

The sr, sr+, and mr weigh the same. I must assume at this point the sr+ is an mr being liquidated with a few features removed and soon will be discontinued. I could be wrong, but that’s the only way this strategy can be justified because people will buy an sr+ ten times before they buy an sr, an mr, or even an LR. It makes every other model harder to justify.

But... You don't know what it costs Tesla to build these. So you can't just throw out the $30K figure.

People have called you out so many times on the weight, and yet you keep harping on it. First, the curb weight of a vehicle is just a starting point, before changes in trim etc.:How Curb Weight Works Manufacturers can post more specifics, but they don't have to.

Second, if you look at Wayback Machine for www.tesla.com/model3 you'll find that the actual weights are as follows:

Standard/Standard+: 3,627 (Standard+ likely weighs more due to better speakers etc but per article above, doesn't need to be split out), as it's an option/trim package on a base car.
Mid-Range (11/13/18): 3,686 lb
LR RWD (8/13/18): 3,805 lb
LR AWD (current, matches range above for 8/13/18): 4,072 lb

For the last 2, LR RWD/AWD, the curb weight range on 8/13/18-cached site was given as 3,805-4,072 lb. Since the current site lists the LR AWD curb weight as 4,072, I think it's a fair assumption that the respective weights are for the respective drive units.

Performance would be a different weight if we went by the logic you've been espousing in your posts. However, as the article above I linked says, it's essentially an option package and thus doesn't need to have a discrete curb weight.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
oh_dear__the_lemur__s_dead____by_cuoha.jpg

Greetings all, this is my first post in the forum.

I ordered my MR last week, because I wanted the full premium interior (mainly due to maps and sound system). After paying my deposit, and getting approved by Tesla financing, I decided to change the color of my car (I had not yet been assigned a VIN). Sometime between the time I was requesting the color change (over the phone with TESLA), and getting re-approved by financing for the higher price due to the color change, I was assigned a VIN for a car of the old color. This meant that when I logged in, my configuration (and picture) as well as price reflected the correct (new) color, but that a sales contract had been generated reflecting the old color, and 500 dollar cheaper price. I called, and was told not to click to sign it, and that the system would automatically remove the old vehicle and its VIN, and generate a new sales contract once the correct car/config was found.

I became concerned that the presence of the old car/VIN on the sales contract on my account would somehow block the system from assigning me a different car in the correct color/config, so I called not one, but TWO different people at Tesla - one at my local delivery point, and one in Fremont, CA at corporate. Both assured me that the existing contract the website wanted me to e-sign would automatically be replaced to reflect the new vehicle once one was found, and its VIN was assigned to my account. The important thing, they said, was that the system was showing my color/config correct with the Reservation Number.

That was today (Monday) around noon.

Feeling bored and antsy, I got online and found this forum. 'Lo and behold, I now see that the MR is no more. I was a little shocked. Anxiously, I just went back to the site (at 9:15 pm Pacific time) to see that, yes, my current order and config is still showing a Midrange car.

The thing concerning me here is... I was told by both of my sources (delivery and corporate) that I would likely be assigned a car in the next few days (my order is a week old, and they were saying 2 weeks when I placed AND CHANGED the order).

The conversation which took place today with corporate was as follows:

TESLA corporate: "You'll be assigned a vehicle/VIN when one is manufactured that matches your order".
ME: "And it'll still be less than 2 weeks?"
TESLA Corporate: "Yes."

But now... I don't know what to think. Are they going to manufacture more MR's to fill existing orders? My wish is to accept what I'm being told by corporate, and heed the advice found earlier in this thread that existing orders will be filled. But it is making me a bit antsy to see that the MR is no longer being offered. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greetings all, this is my first post in the forum.

I ordered my MR last week, because I wanted the full premium interior (mainly due to maps and sound system). After paying my deposit, and getting approved by Tesla financing, I decided to change the color of my car (I had not yet been assigned a VIN). Sometime between the time I was requesting the color change (over the phone with TESLA), and getting re-approved by financing for the higher price due to the color change, I was assigned a VIN for a car of the old color. This meant that when I logged in, my configuration (and picture) as well as price reflected the correct (new) color, but that a sales contract had been generated reflecting the old color, and 500 dollar cheaper price. I called, and was told not to click to sign it, and that the system would automatically remove the old vehicle and its VIN, and generate a new sales contract once the correct car/config was found.

I became concerned that the presence of the old car/VIN on the sales contract on my account would somehow block the system from assigning me a different car in the correct color/config, so I called not one, but TWO different people at Tesla - one at my local delivery point, and one in Fremont, CA at corporate. Both assured me that the existing contract the website wanted me to e-sign would automatically be replaced to reflect the new vehicle once one was found, and its VIN was assigned to my account. The important thing, they said, was that the system was showing my color/config correct with the Reservation Number.

That was today (Monday) around noon.

Feeling bored and antsy, I got online and found this forum. 'Lo and behold, I now see that the MR is no more. I was a little shocked. Anxiously, I just went back to the site (at 9:15 pm Pacific time) to see that, yes, my current order and config is still showing a Midrange car.

The thing concerning me here is... I was told by both of my sources (delivery and corporate) that I would likely be assigned a car in the next few days (my order is a week old, and they were saying 2 weeks when I placed AND CHANGED the order).

The conversation which took place today with corporate was as follows:

TESLA corporate: "You'll be assigned a vehicle/VIN when one is manufactured that matches your order".
ME: "And it'll still be less than 2 weeks?"
TESLA Corporate: "Yes."

But now... I don't know what to think. Are they going to manufacture more MR's to fill existing orders? My wish is to accept what I'm being told by corporate, and heed the advice found earlier in this thread that existing orders will be filled. But it is making me a bit antsy to see that the MR is no longer being offered. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I’m in the same situation as you. I rejected the assigned VIN because it was a 2018 and I upgraded wheels. I still have the same rejected VIN on my loan app and correct configuration on the photo. I’ve been waiting for a new VIN for over a week.

I’m in the same situation as you. I rejected the assigned VIN because it was a 2018 and I upgraded wheels. I still have the same rejected VIN on my loan app and correct configuration on the photo. I’ve been waiting for a new VIN for over a week.

InParadise: I am in the exact same situation. Ordered MR 2 weeks back and got VIN signed last week. Rejected since it was 2018 and am waiting for new VIN. Noticed yesterday that the old VIN was still reflecting on my account and asked the local rep to fix it and it was gone in couple of hours. Now I have no VIN and no idea when I would get one. Not sure if I made a mistake by rejecting 2018.

Actually a poster here with the username @GigaGrunt, with a location of nevada, stated there are 3 different battery packs for the Model 3. The SR/SR+ pack, the MR pack, and the LR pack. When asked "what proof do you have" they replied with *wink*.

If anyone takes a second to think about the user name, and the location it will become very obvious that this poster is likely posting with direct knowledge, so I dont think your assertion that SR+ and MR are the same pack is correct.

Another simple clue was the SR and SR+ were the same weight. Mid-range had it's own weight, and LR had a heavier weight than MR.

I wanted the MR it was the cheapest model with the full interior package- mainly full traffic Navigation, web browser, and streaming music capabilities. I don't mind the SR+ range but I reeaally want those other features mentioned. :(

LR is a pack with fully populated modules.
MR is a pack with slightly less cells in each module.
Current SR/SR+ is a pack with even less cells in each module.
Soon to be SR/SR+ will be ‘new’ module design fully populated, but considerably less cells than a LR.

SR/SR+ and MR are not same car. No current plans to offer upcharge on range. Cells are not locked out on MR. Those who claim that, don’t know how battery packs in EV’s work.

LR is a pack with fully populated modules.
MR is a pack with slightly less cells in each module.
Current SR/SR+ is a pack with even less cells in each module.
Soon to be SR/SR+ will be ‘new’ module design fully populated, but considerably less cells than a LR.

SR/SR+ and MR are not same car. No current plans to offer upcharge on range. Cells are not locked out on MR. Those who claim that, don’t know how battery packs in EV’s work.

So you're saying I should wait for the new SR+ module?

And will they allow browser etc on SR+ for a price?
Gracias!