Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to MR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SR+ might be the worst idea any car company has ever had. They probably software disabled the speakers, but even if they removed them, which I doubt, it is still a midrange car. $2,000 for premium interior, almost the same range, and close to the same sound. Give me a break. It’s a fire sale. No other company would do this. I would trade back my car in a second to buy one that looks exactly the same with a little less range and not quite as amazing sound to save $12,000.
What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?
What if toyota sold the sr5 4 runner for $37k, their limited for $49k and then came out with the PARTIAL limited for $39k? It would have the same interior and exterior as the limited except the gas tank is smaller and some of the speakers are disabled. Would that kill the sales of both the SR5 and limited and wreck the value of the limited? That sounds like a pretty dumb idea. That is the sr+ in a nutshell.

What happens to current MR orders?

They'll receive the MR.

Could have been dropped as demand fell with the release of the SR Plus.

They'll hope to upsell some people to the LR, and hope that others will spend the MR money on other lucrative options.
- they want to downsell people to the SR Plus and then have them spend money on other lucrative options.

Reactions: mrwuffles
I thought everyone recognized that the MR was a short-term way to offer a lower priced car when Tesla wasn’t yet at a stage where it could offer the SR profitably.

Now it is ready so it offered the SR and quickly discontinued the MR. No surprise there. That’s exactly what most people expected to happen when the MR was introduced.

Trying to use an event almost everyone expected would happen to try to generate FUD seems even more desperate than usual.

Gone. The MR was a placeholder vehicle to reduce pricing until the standard came out. If you ordered it while available on the website, I dont think you have anything to worry about. Tesla usually builds vehicles after you order them, not the other way around. So they should be satisfying your request.

I said I was guessing but here’s why it makes sense if that’s the reason for the weights. It’s called speculation.

As for the SR+ it is absolutely a partially disabled midrange right now in its current form.

As for SR it will definitely be different and have a small battery.

I doubt this is the case. It seems far more likely that Tesla ended up getting more range than they expected out of the new SR pack (240 miles). So they fulfill their promise of a 220 mile car by software limiting the SR pack, and they dangle a nice carrot with the fully unlocked version to encourage people to buy a car with a higher profit margin. I believe the MR is the only car Tesla has ever made that has an LR pack with cells removed. It was always a stopgap until they could offer only the two pack designs (with no cells removed) that were originally planned.

If SR+ cars are actually software limited MR cars, it would make absolutely zero sense for Tesla to remove the option for a customer to pay several thousand more for the same car.

Last edited:
The SR+ might be the worst idea any car company has ever had. They probably software disabled the speakers, but even if they removed them, which I doubt, it is still a midrange car. $2,000 for premium interior, almost the same range, and close to the same sound. Give me a break. It’s a fire sale. No other company would do this. I would trade back my car in a second to buy one that looks exactly the same with a little less range and not quite as amazing sound to save $12,000.

this is why I waited. Q is will they lower again after 6/30 ?

I was a day 1 reservation holder nearly 3 years ago, but I canceled my spot because I wanted to get my wife a better car than she had at the time sooner. She's been in a car she loves for 1.5 years now, but I recently started thinking about a Model 3 (please stop calling it an M3 - this is not a BMW!) when the $35k version was available to order. I daily drive a lifted and built Toyota Land Cruiser that gets 12-14 mpg, so I was thinking a relatively inexpensive commuter would make sense especially considering my commute is stop and go traffic.

I got really serious about ordering a car last weekend when I test drove a Model 3 and though a SR+ made the most sense overall. Then I started thinking about the premium interior with rear heated seats, live traffic, upgraded sound, better range, etc. and figured for the price bump over SR+ it made more sense to spring for it. I had configured it last night MR, black/black/aero/AP and was going to finalize it when we left to go to dinner. I figured I'd just place it today before the price bump tomorrow (3/18/19 for those reading this in the future), and of course when I went to do it this morning the freaking thing was gone!

I went into a store near closing time around 5:30pm tonight, and there were no local cars in inventory nor were there many available nationwide. The sales guy found 2 that fit my MR spec, but they are both at the gigafactory now. I'm in Denver, CO and apparently these cars aren't available for Denver delivery - he mentioned either picking up at the factory or in Vegas. I have connections at a couple airlines and can fly for free, but I'm just concerned about the time and of course adding 1k miles off the bat to bring it home. I went ahead with the order, and apparently the car is already built (he said it has 9 miles on it). Anyways, kinda rambling now but I'll learn more tomorrow when we chat further, and I'll update in this thread accordingly. Should be nice to offset the consumption of dino juice guzzler a little, which won't be going away as we use it a lot for exploring off road and long trips.

I was a day 1 reservation holder nearly 3 years ago, but I canceled my spot because I wanted to get my wife a better car than she had at the time sooner. She's been in a car she loves for 1.5 years now, but I recently started thinking about a Model 3 (please stop calling it an M3 - this is not a BMW!) when the $35k version was available to order. I daily drive a lifted and built Toyota Land Cruiser that gets 12-14 mpg, so I was thinking a relatively inexpensive commuter would make sense especially considering my commute is stop and go traffic.

I got really serious about ordering a car last weekend when I test drove a Model 3 and though a SR+ made the most sense overall. Then I started thinking about the premium interior with rear heated seats, live traffic, upgraded sound, better range, etc. and figured for the price bump over SR+ it made more sense to spring for it. I had configured it last night MR, black/black/aero/AP and was going to finalize it when we left to go to dinner. I figured I'd just place it today before the price bump tomorrow (3/18/19 for those reading this in the future), and of course when I went to do it this morning the freaking thing was gone!

I went into a store near closing time around 5:30pm tonight, and there were no local cars in inventory nor were there many available nationwide. The sales guy found 2 that fit my MR spec, but they are both at the gigafactory now. I'm in Denver, CO and apparently these cars aren't available for Denver delivery - he mentioned either picking up at the factory or in Vegas. I have connections at a couple airlines and can fly for free, but I'm just concerned about the time and of course adding 1k miles off the bat to bring it home. I went ahead with the order, and apparently the car is already built (he said it has 9 miles on it). Anyways, kinda rambling now but I'll learn more tomorrow when we chat further, and I'll update in this thread accordingly. Should be nice to offset the consumption of dino juice guzzler a little, which won't be going away as we use it a lot for exploring off road and long trips.
Good luck. Hope you like it.

I had a colleague just get delivery of his MR model. Is a new short range comparatively cheaper now other than true differences in product configuration? Any real downside to keeping this MR now that it is EOL.

The SR+ is $3000 cheaper with no homelink, less speakers and woofer, slightly less range. Depending on his useage, could be better to save the money but otherwise no downside to keeping the MR

I had a colleague just get delivery of his MR model. Is a new short range comparatively cheaper now other than true differences in product configuration? Any real downside to keeping this MR now that it is EOL.

I took delivery on an inventory MR last week. With free paint upgrade and discount I paid about $800 more than the SR+ I had on order. Could not be happier for all the extras I received for $800.

Reactions: InParadise
I doubt this is the case. It seems far more likely that Tesla ended up getting more range than they expected out of the new SR pack (240 miles). So they fulfill their promise of a 220 mile car by software limiting the SR pack, and they dangle a nice carrot with the fully unlocked version to encourage people to buy a car with a higher profit margin. I believe the MR is the only car Tesla has ever made that has an LR pack with cells removed. It was always a stopgap until they could offer only the two pack designs (with no cells removed) that were originally planned.

If SR+ cars are actually software limited MR cars, it would make absolutely zero sense for Tesla to remove the option for a customer to pay several thousand more for the same car.
It does make zero sense period. You have to admit that sr+ is a crazy idea. No company sells a premium interior for $2k. Also the sr+ still costs around $30,000 to build even with the amp and subwoofer removed. There’s still no profit margin on it. Everything else is there. This version is to get cars out the door before the sr is ready.

The sr, sr+, and mr weigh the same. I must assume at this point the sr+ is an mr being liquidated with a few features removed and soon will be discontinued. I could be wrong, but that’s the only way this strategy can be justified because people will buy an sr+ ten times before they buy an sr, an mr, or even an LR. It makes every other model harder to justify.