Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to Tesla's customer service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mission was simple: call Tesla to find out when my 2013 Model S is due for it's next annual service.

Not so simple, it turns out.

Tesla has made it virtually impossible to speak with a service associate... or any other human being. All phone menus eventually end up with "use our app" or "try chat on the Telsa website" -- which doesn't work.

The only way to get an actual human being on the phone is to pretend you're calling the Sales department! How ridiculous.

It would be nice to speak with someone in order to get my car's service history, but apparently that is not going to be easy.

Any tips for getting this most basic info out of Tesla??

Reactions: 1375mlm
My mission was simple: call Tesla to find out when my 2013 Model S is due for it's next annual service.

Tesla has made it virtually impossible to speak with a service associate... or any other human being. All phone menus eventually end up with "use our app" or "try chat on the Telsa website" -- which doesn't work.

The only way to get an actual human being on the phone is to pretend you're calling the Sales department! How ridiculous.

It would be nice to speak with someone in order to get my car's service history, but apparently that is not going to be easy.

Hmmm, hasn't been my experience lately. I call the local service center (Reno in this case) and they answered and gave me the service info I needed. In another case about 3 weeks ago, I used the app and someone called me a couple hours later. Maybe it depends on where you are calling.

1) Why would you need Tesla to tell you when your car is next due for an annual service that they say should occur every 12 months or every 12,500 miles? You have all of the information necessary to determine this at your immediate disposal.

2) Annual service isn't even a thing any more

3) Service started tanking when they realized lighting $2 billion per quarter on fire isn't a sustainable business model.

I can understand your frustration. It really depends on how busy the Service Center is. I tried calling my local SC (just 2 miles from my house) 8 times over the course of 14 days to get an update on the rear window defroster fix and got to speak to a human twice. If the SC isn't open or too busy to answer the phone, it will route the call to an offsite call center. I learned this after calling the out-of-state Delivery Center where they accidentally sat on my title paperwork; I ended up being routed to someone in Fremont, Ca.

Tesla's service issues start at the top. They've under-delivered in production release dates, production numbers, and early production quality. They rushed both the Model X and Model 3 to boost the delivery count for share price and bond price pressure, then figured the flaws could be corrected at the Service Center (causing a bottleneck in Tesla dense regions). It's also a huge waste of money in parts, labor, and loaner-cars/rental cars to fix production problems post-sale. Had I taken a rental car from my SC, it would have cost them about $560 in rental fees (I assume the rear window defroster fix was either a relay, fuse, soldering job, or software...the glass wasn't replaced). Furthermore, the car sat for 4 days before they did a diagnosis and another 9 days before they moved into the service bay for the actual repair. I wish they would have just told me that they were backlogged and wouldn't have time to look at the car until days after the scheduled appointment.

Secondly, the proliferation of the Model 3 is also inundating SCs with more volume based on the sheer population of more owners. Thirdly, in this economy of record-low unemployment, it is a struggle to find affordable competent talent. The job market is good where good employees are tempted to chase better compensation (how do you retain them?), and then new hires tend to be less talented/experienced and have to learn the ropes. Working for any company with high turnover is chaotic. Finally, the company is under pressure to cut-costs and pressure from Wall Street is immense. Outflows from institutional longs (Saudi fund, T. Rowe, Fidelity, etc), short sellers pressing their positions, analysts lowering targets, and the narrative of their demise or buyout is popping up.

I would love for Tesla to sort our their processes and procedures to get this company running smoothly. We all love the car and want to company to succeed. I think it's sad that people are betting against the company when the company's vision is for environmental sustainability.

1) Why would you need Tesla to tell you when your car is next due for an annual service that they say should occur every 12 months or every 12,500 miles? You have all of the information necessary to determine this at your immediate disposal.

2) Annual service isn't even a thing any more

3) Service started tanking when they realized lighting $2 billion per quarter on fire isn't a sustainable business model.

I am guessing the OP bought a used car and doesn't know when the last service was performed. And now that annual service by mileage isn't a thing, the OP has no idea when his coolant needs to be changed I would guess. Hence the need to ask.

Agreed, can't get a hold of anyone.
I live 3 hours one way from service center.

Wanted to order a microswitch harness for a failed door handle. Left voicemail, emails, because no one would answer the phone for three days at three different service centers.
Finally tried to go to the chat but couldn't, doesn't show up for people in Canada. Tried to call 800 number, it said to use chat that I don't even see lol.
Finally I had to VPN to pretend I'm in the US, get on the chat, tell the guy I can't get a hold of anyone, anywhere.
He said he will forward the request and should hear back within 24 hrs.
Next day I got an email back from my original email. Not sure if it was chat support that moved things along or if it just took 5 days to answer an email. I didn't hear from anyone else after so I'm guessing it was the chat that helped.

So damn frustrating.

Totally agrees with you from my experience in Maryland and southern PA. I actually just started a thread about the same thing in the Tesla forum.

-long wait time on the phone and can’t reach anyone at the local service center: the call gets picked up by the 800 number customer service personnel
-can’t schedule an appointment by phone anymore, the online scheduling does not let you schedule beyond one week or so, very inconvenient for most people with busy work lives who need to plan way ahead to take time off to drop the car off
-service centers frequently do no reply to emails regarding car issues

I have done nothing but give Tesla service a perfect 10 rating until now. I agree you can't get a human being no one knows anything if they tell me to reset the MCU one more time I'm going to have an aneurysm. I was one of the first deliveries in New Jersey and had my car serviced in Queens New York and they were working out of a run-down Warehouse. the people they had working there and the service was so excellent I couldn't say enough. Well they let all those people go in some cost-cutting measure I guess as the company grew they didn't need good people anymore well I think they made a very big mistake because in my opinion the service now is on par with the service I used to receive in 1986 from general motors. Absolutely HORRIBLE

Reactions: darxsys

Tesla Service has gone from phone to Live Chat, it works quite well and you can get answers quickly. Go to this link and scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the chat button.
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 6.57.05 PM.png

Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

The chat button has been greyed out for days for me. I'm in the US. I've tried 3 different browsers on 3 different computers/phones/iPad. Don't know how anyone has success with chat unless I'm truly doing something wrong. I had a weird error pop open on a Sunday couldn't get anyone on phone or chat. Thank goodness calling the service center during business hours worked out as they are wonderful when you do get a hold of someone.