Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the promised in-car apps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty ironic that folks have to dash-mount their smartphone to do things the 17" CID can't. If Tesla saw pictures of that perhaps it would encourage them do finish this project already.

When people first see the 17" they are amazed. When they find out its limitations they are amazed.

I'm not sure if it's possible since I haven't taken delivery of my car yet and I wonder if the google maps on your phone switches over to the 17" screen when you get in the car? Like a handover.

If not that has to be a feature for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
I'm not sure if it's possible since I haven't taken delivery of my car yet and I wonder if the google maps on your phone switches over to the 17" screen when you get in the car? Like a handover.

I have a OnePlus 3t on a permanent magnetic mount that handles all media player functions. It is far superior to the existing media player in every regard..... Very sad.

I'm more in the "happy camper" camp with the infotainment except for the one glaring phone related item that's missing for me: messaging.

I wish that they'd somehow add SMS/iMessage integration, eg. via the phone app so that you can see, hear, and reply back to messages while in motion. But I'm not sure it's technically possible -- it was not being able to control the mirrored phone screen from the 17" that stopped Elon's original mirror plan from moving forward.

It definitely does not do that. I mount my phone on my dash to be able to use Waze for Nav since it is so much better.

I’m disappointed with the lack of app support as well and use my iPhone a lot more than I should when driving especially for accessing music playlists or streaming services. I also use Waze quite a bit so I want the phone in a more visible and accessible location than what Tesla provides. I’ve seen a lot of mounts that you clip to the air vents or stick to the dash but I really wanted it right under the center console. Most solutions involve something with the cup holder which means leaving the center panel open and something I don’t find aesthetically pleasing.

I came up with a slightly different method. I purchased a TopFit drawer from Amazon and a magnetic mount from Anker. I took the knob off the drawer and pushed the screw back so that I could a fix the magnetic mount to it. The drawer cost $28.99 and the mount cost $15.99. This solved two problems nicely. Now I have a drawer under the center screen where the knob is also a magnetic mount for my phone.

I plan to upgrade this with a wireless charger once the new iPhones are released and will snake a USB cable back there somehow. It’s a work in progress.

Here are some pictures.

62339D3A-C756-4234-9619-A9F880A6C332.jpeg
759D31C3-3B80-46A7-BA4D-1A3FDC3A867F.jpeg
BC05145E-2E33-4100-8C97-228C71F0D80D.jpeg

Attachments

• FF8B2970-D0A3-4E8F-8F53-B2615603AE85.jpeg
    FF8B2970-D0A3-4E8F-8F53-B2615603AE85.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Ski_ and _jal_
I’m disappointed with the lack of app support as well and use my iPhone a lot more than I should when driving especially for accessing music playlists or streaming services. I also use Waze quite a bit so I want the phone in a more visible and accessible location than what Tesla provides. I’ve seen a lot of mounts that you clip to the air vents or stick to the dash but I really wanted it right under the center console. Most solutions involve something with the cup holder which means leaving the center panel open and something I don’t find aesthetically pleasing.

I came up with a slightly different method. I purchased a TopFit drawer from Amazon and a magnetic mount from Anker. I took the knob off the drawer and pushed the screw back so that I could a fix the magnetic mount to it. The drawer cost $28.99 and the mount cost $15.99. This solved two problems nicely. Now I have a drawer under the center screen where the knob is also a magnetic mount for my phone.

I plan to upgrade this with a wireless charger once the new iPhones are released and will snake a USB cable back there somehow. It’s a work in progress.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 247639 View attachment 247640 View attachment 247641
What app are you using? I'm doing the exact same thing by mounting a spare Oneplus3t beneath the screen....

Reactions: Logan5

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 247639 View attachment 247640 View attachment 247641

You should really tweet these photos to Elon! He needs to see how the lack of app support is effecting users like yourself and many people other there. I feel the more people say something or write to him, then something would actually be done.

You should really tweet these photos to Elon! He needs to see how the lack of app support is effecting users like yourself and many people other there. I feel the more people say something or write to him, then something would actually be done.
If Elon didnt respond to my Nexus 7 duct taped to the screen, I guarantee he won't care about this.

• Funny
Reactions: Logan5 and davidc18