TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What happens if you don't install a software update and a newer one is released?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Barry, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Suppose you're away for a few weeks and Tesla sends out multiple updates during that period. Does it overwrite the earlier update or does the update RAM need to be empty before another update will be downloaded?

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Pretty sure it overwrites. Check in the thread where auto lowering was disabled. Many folks held out on that update.

Note: You will continue to get push notifications "software update is available" even if it's the same version. Can always disable notifications tho.

3. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Kaboom! :biggrin:

4. Tourman

Tourman Member

this

hydrogen-bomb-car3.jpg

5. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

The way the updates work (usually) they send out a package containing files for all systems, the updater then checks the versions of each system and applies the update only if the package version differs. So if you skip one, the next one will contain all current code. You don't have to do them in order or anything.

6. travwill

travwill Member

Each update is a full code deployment, not incremental. If you skipped a version then nothing bad should happen... Keyword "should".

7. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

Since I'm handicapped, I haven't been able to drive for the past two months, so I've been skipping the updates. I finally updated a few days ago, and the update went fine. So yes, you can skip updates.