Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you reject a Tesla at delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are hung up on build quality, Tesla is not for you... Really fun cars, but build quality is low if you inspect them closely. Of course, this is just my 2 cents mainly from buying 2 model 3's a year apart. And examining umpteen model s loaners over the past year. :)

I don't agree that $135 inspection is a waste, and here's why:

My nearest service centre is far away (5h, over 400km). I was told I could deal with delivery defects "later" since they were swamped. I accepted the car with what ended up being a few minor issues (scratches, dull paint, loose panels, very poor wheel alignment). As I couldn't commit to throwing away a weekend to go back to the service centre for a while, it was 2 months before I booked an appointment. I was told I had to report all issues in the first 160km otherwise they will not be fixed for free. Partly my bad, but there's no way I could have reported anything in that dark garage, and my home is well over 160km away due to the way Tesla sells vehicles.

My paint issues now have to be fixed out-of-pocket. The loose panels will be fixed (I assume for free...) by mobile service 1.5 hours away over a month from now since they're backed up too (and this is still a decent drive and commitment!). I will have to pay a local shop for wheel alignment.

$135 inspection for a $50k+ purchase is very cheap insurance to avoid both costs and headache associated with delivery defects, I would highly recommend it after my experience. They're minor issues, but Tesla service will make them large issues with long waits if you decide to pursue it after delivery.

Not ideal to buy a Tesla then