Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when you run out of energy ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Call a tow truck, have them pick up just the front wheels. Place the car in drive and then have the truck drive you a couple of miles. This will charge the battery using the regenerative braking.

Leave all the wheels in contact with the road, for the D's there's another generator up front to use.
Pull by the tow hook and long strap.

At highway speed your car is like a boat anchor on the back of the truck.

It's the most un-green way to charge an EV, but you'll be sucking down nearly 60kwh of juice (coming right out of his gas tank). If you have a Model S 60, it will take a bit more than an hour to fully charge to 100%.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about this, when I talk to them about the Model S. I'm curous...do people routinely run their ICE cars out of gas? I never have. Yeah, there is not a supercharger station on every corner right now, but still, it should be a very rare thing. I guess it's just the thought that if it did happen, it's easier to fix with a gas car.

When I used to drive an ICE car, I used to defer refueling until I the tank was almost empty because I knew I could refuel at any major intersection and refueling required an extra stop I would otherwise not need (in most cases). With the MS, I pay much more attention to the remaining range and charge well before I run out, in part because I don't need to go out of my way to do it, at least in daily driving.

So, in some ways, I feel I'm less likely to run out of juice in my MS than in an ICE car (knock on wood).

Reactions: LoL Rick
So, in some ways, I feel I'm less likely to run out of juice in my MS than in an ICE car (knock on wood).

That really should be the case since if you can charge at home you leave home every day with a 90% fill. There is no way I would top an ICE up everyday on the way home. (Or keep full gas cans around to top up the tank every night when I get home.)

I'll never forget my teenage daughter driving back home from downtown in our Leaf, crying on the phone to me that the Leaf was at zero on the "guess-o-meter" and she was still a few miles from home. I told her to drive slow in the right lane, and to pull over if it went into turtle mode, and I would call a tow truck, that there was nothing to be concerned about. She made it to a friends house, closer than our home, and plugged into the wall outlet, then drove home later.

Kids say the funniest things, when they were little and I said we had no internet growing up, let alone computers, tablets or cell phones, she said to me "What will I tell my kids dad, we have everything now?". I said that there will be lots to tell them. So after this incident, I told her that when everyone including her children are driving electric cars with lots of range, she will tell this story to them, about her crying on the phone to grandpa, worrying about being able to make it home in an electric car that could barely make it downtown and back. She can tell them that no one else that she knew had one electric car, and we had two, including a Tesla, when a lot of people didn't even know what a Tesla was, which will be like saying you don't know Apple today. She laughed and agreed.

Also be aware that an area Tesla could improve in local navigation to the SpCs themselves; you might think you're "there" but still have some driving to do to find the actual SpC -- you don't want to wind up being the unfortunate person in the photo above.
I think this has gotten much better. A couple of us were planning to update these in Chargerville so they'd all be dead accurate and found that many that were known to be inaccurate had been corrected in the data coming from Tesla.

An update about the AAA charger trucks. And to think I was planning on canceling their roadside services after 50 years as a customer and only using it twice.

AAA says that its emergency electric vehicle charging trucks served “thousands” of EVs without power

UPDATE: Well I have been on the phone with AAA dispatch in NorCal for over an 1/2 hour and they cannot find out anything about this service. I even had to send them off to the article above and they were flabbergasted that they even had this capability.

So the dispatcher basically said she needed to inform management that they were not trained to take calls for this service and have them appropriately equipped to handle these types of calls.:mad:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ciaopec and ModelX
For those who don't plan or those who's plans get messed up, this is a real issue. For me, I normally set my charge limit to 50%. Last weekend, I had to make an emergency 120 mile (one way) trip. I was able to make the trip to my destination but for my return trip, I had to extend my route so I can reach the closest SCh. Normally for that same trip, I would have bumped my charge limit to 90% the night before and I would not have taken the extended route to reach the SCh. It's all about planning at this point.
That's a good reason not to routinely set your charge at 50%. There is no meaningful advantage in doing so (don't tell me the battery lasts longer-- the battery lasts just fine at 80 or 90%) and you just experienced the disadvantage.

Probably a good time to mention that there are often a few public (or even residential) charging options around if you find out you're running lower on energy than you thought. Plugshare is a great source for this. It's also a good idea to sign up for whatever service is popular near you so that you can activate the stations if needed. In my case, I signed up for Chargepoint and just keep the card in the glovebox. As long as I don't use a charging station with a fee, it's literally a free backup option.

I had someone in a parking lot (talking about electric cars) say something along the lines of "Yeah, but if there's a major power outage, you won't be able to recharge."

I looked at her and said "If there's a major power outage, you won't be able to buy gas either."

She looked at me for a moment, then her eyes got real big. *Ding* The lightbulb came on!

I had someone in a parking lot (talking about electric cars) say something along the lines of "Yeah, but if there's a major power outage, you won't be able to recharge."

I looked at her and said "If there's a major power outage, you won't be able to buy gas either."

She looked at me for a moment, then her eyes got real big. *Ding* The lightbulb came on!

Being in Florida, I get the same comment in the context of a hurricane (How do you charge if there is a hurricane and the electricity is out for days?" Same response gets the same reaction.

Of course, I have added "Charge car to max capacity" to my hurricane prep list.

3. Buy a long metal pole. Open charge port. Wait for thunderstorm with lightning. Hold pole straight up in the air with the bottom resting in the charge port opening.

This is it! This is the answer. Assuming that you can get the full 1.21 Jigawatts in 0.25 seconds, this should be enough to charge the 90kWh battery to almost 100%. Just make sure you channel it to the battery and not to the flux capacitor.

If it ever looks like I am going to run out, I imagine I will be very close to my destination (otherwise, why would the battery be so low?)

1. Fuse gone on the charger, driver doesn't notice, drives for a couple of days assuming it has charged each night ... until the "Low Energy" warning comes on ...

2. Power cut during the night, driver isn't aware and sets off as normal, but car has not had time to fully charge.

Wife, bless her!, has done both of those!

Must admit I didn't used to routinely check the mileage when I knew that the car had been plugged in, now I check it every trip. When I used to fill the ICE I knew how many gallons I had purchased, so how much range I had added. Another "behaviour" that I've had to adjust slightly after moving to EV.

Hey,

I was wondering, what happens when you reach 0% ? Can you still move (push?) the car as an ICE if you're stuck in middle of traffic ? Do someone from Tesla come to charge it a little bit, or they have to put it on a tow truck and take it to the service center ?

If they do so, how much do it cost ?

If you already experienced something like that please tell us what happened and how.
have you ever run out of fuel in a gas propelled vehicle? same rules apply

1. Fuse gone on the charger, driver doesn't notice, drives for a couple of days assuming it has charged each night ... until the "Low Energy" warning comes on ...

2. Power cut during the night, driver isn't aware and sets off as normal, but car has not had time to fully charge.

Wife, bless her!, has done both of those!

Must admit I didn't used to routinely check the mileage when I knew that the car had been plugged in, now I check it every trip. When I used to fill the ICE I knew how many gallons I had purchased, so how much range I had added. Another "behaviour" that I've had to adjust slightly after moving to EV.

Maybe it'll change as I get more familiar with the car, but right now I generally have the energy screen up on half of the center console, with the projected range sitting right there in addition to the green battery and rated range/percentage in the instrument panel. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss the failed charge.