Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes coming, but what does this all mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, works out the same on the Model 3 as well.

But $25,000 car + $15,000 FSD = $40,000. Basic Model 3 is $42,990.

They get to sell the model 2 twice. So they get 450/mo for three years. A three year old sr+ goes for around 34k. They could probably sell the three year old model 2 for around 20k. But let’s be conservative and say it is only 15k

$16,000 plus $15,000 used. So 31k plus whatever software the used person decided to buy.

The 15000k isn’t guaranteed. And the marginal cost of fsd is zero. The take rate of fsd is only 8 percent. I think the take rate of the model 2 used will be much lower, around 3 percent. (Of course I am pulling this number out of my ass)

So the cash flow for the model 2 is

$31,450

The cash flow for the model 3 is

42,990 + (15k * .08 take rate)

$44209

But of course the model 2 is supposed to be cheaper to build that the model 3 and there is zero cost in providing fsd to the model 2.

Yea, works out the same on the Model 3 as well.

But $25,000 car + $15,000 FSD = $40,000. Basic Model 3 is $42,990.

Why in any world would Tesla want to risk the sales of their larger profit cars and give away FSD to the cheapest car.

It's like every other dealer does. Cheap car that is very basic. Which is effectively a loss leader to the basic cars with some features, then to the next car with more features and so on.

And if you take a peek at the Tesla website
View attachment 912627

That's $100 cheaper than your Model 2.

Very very very few people will qualify for tgst $350 mo. You’d need a 825 plus credit score and very low miles….

BS.

That's not the way it works.

You are assuming that the car has the hardware in it to begin with.

I guess you are assuming that after they get the first copy deployed, they won't charge for it anymore.

Total BS.

The car will certainly have the hardware necessary for fsd. Tesla has said as much. The cost to deploy it is zero. So if Tesla wanted to do it, they could.

This was my first Investor Day…seemed like a big “nothing burger.” I was expecting some answers to some of these burning questions…was this the normal outcome or was it tamped down a bit?
It was a very dismal and a poorly scripted presentation. Not becoming of a billion dollar company. The 5% sell off this morning is well deserving and hope it wakes them up. Rookie fanboy “investors” on this forum are making excuses for the horrible presentation but that only goes to show the lack of investor knowledge they have and pray they aren’t managing other people’s money. Elon should not have dismissed the last question about near-future product the way he did. This event was literally titled “Investor Day”. He could have easily answered the question with something along the lines “we have very exciting upgrades and a product reveal on this [insert date], etc.” He could have thrown out a bone and the stock wouldn’t haven’t fallen off this much. Apple does this very well and Elon needs to pay attention and hire a PR team.

Reactions: vet757 and Daekwan
This was my first Investor Day…seemed like a big “nothing burger.” I was expecting some answers to some of these burning questions…was this the normal outcome or was it tamped down a bit?

It depends on what you were looking for. But the name of it is key, it was Investors Day, not Driver's Day, and not New Car Day.

They explained the next phase of Tesla, the numbers that they were looking at and the growth potential.
I thought that it was impressive how much thought that they had put into sustainability and their steps to get the EARTH there. The showed a plan that was realizable and implementable without that much cost or impact. Even mentioning that the cost of implementation could be cheaper than the cost of furter oil exploration.

Not something that even the great think houses have seemed to be able to do.

It depends on what you were looking for. But the name of it is key, it was Investors Day, not Driver's Day, and not New Car Day.

They explained the next phase of Tesla, the numbers that they were looking at and the growth potential.
I thought that it was impressive how much thought that they had put into sustainability and their steps to get the EARTH there. The showed a plan that was realizable and implementable without that much cost or impact. Even mentioning that the cost of implementation could be cheaper than the cost of furter oil exploration.

Not something that even the great think houses have seemed to be able to do.
Lol! “new car day”. 😁

Reactions: toron2nashvile
It was a very dismal and a poorly scripted presentation. Not becoming of a billion dollar company. The 5% sell off this morning is well deserving and hope it wakes them up. Rookie fanboy “investors” on this forum are making excuses for the horrible presentation but that only goes to show the lack of investor knowledge they have and pray they aren’t managing other people’s money. Elon should not have dismissed the last question about near-future product the way he did. This event was literally titled “Investor Day”. He could have easily answered the question with something along the lines “we have very exciting upgrades and a product reveal on this [insert date], etc.” He could have thrown out a bone and the stock wouldn’t haven’t fallen off this much. Apple does this very well and Elon needs to pay attention and hire a PR team.

Poorly scripted? It was one of the more scripted ones that I've seen from Tesla. Elon? Remember he has some learning disabilities that impacts his communications. But watch his eyes, you can see him thinking 5 or 6 levels deeper than what he is saying.

Yes, it was labeled Investor Day, it was not "New Car Introduction Day" and his dismissal and some of the other expressions suggested an inside joke or premonition of something about to come.

Apple and others do a scripted movie. sometimes in real time, sometimes filmed. In these cases, why even being people together, just post the video.

But all that boring stuff? Obviously scripted, but being read by the real people who do it and not some marketing person who is a parrot.

Poorly scripted? It was one of the more scripted ones that I've seen from Tesla. Elon? Remember he has some learning disabilities that impacts his communications. But watch his eyes, you can see him thinking 5 or 6 levels deeper than what he is saying.

Yes, it was labeled Investor Day, it was not "New Car Introduction Day" and his dismissal and some of the other expressions suggested an inside joke or premonition of something about to come.

Apple and others do a scripted movie. sometimes in real time, sometimes filmed. In these cases, why even being people together, just post the video.

But all that boring stuff? Obviously scripted, but being read by the real people who do it and not some marketing person who is a parrot.
I wasn’t poking at Elons performance. Heck, I think he did great because of his disability. My daughter who recently scored a 34 on the ACT without studying and top her class has OCD and traits of autism, etc. I won’t get into, has a hard time getting in front of people or simply being in group setting. Her IQ is off the charts but she has a hard time around lots of people. So, I understand him very well and feel for him. However, he could have had a much better presentation by utilizing a PR team and the CFO to guide the presentation much more smoothly. Believe me, I’m all for Elon.

I just expected “more” (again, my first rodeo with Tesla’s invester call, although have been on other calls before and understand its purpose). This “more” is based on previous posters, especially those who were waiting for this call specifically before deciding to purchase. Not sure those questions have been “answered” to any extent. And, I agree, based in that call and the recent run up, the stock is acting appropriately.

I just expected “more” (again, my first rodeo with Tesla’s invester call, although have been on other calls before and understand its purpose). This “more” is based on previous posters, especially those who were waiting for this call specifically before deciding to purchase. Not sure those questions have been “answered” to any extent. And, I agree, based in that call and the recent run up, the stock is acting appropriately.
You and the rest of the market were expecting more. It was basically a fluff job. The stock price is being punished for it.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and GoVols!