Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What has happened with the rollout of V11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that most FSD beta users have either received 11.3.2, 11.3.3, 11.3.4 and a few 11.3.5. How is it that all these weeks later, I'm still waiting for any version of 11? My last update was January 14th with 10.69.25.2. I keep checking TeslaFi to see what's going on and it looks like the release of even 11.4 has slowed to a trickle. I'm glad for those that got it, don't get me wrong, but I'm beginning to feel some frustration setting in. Are the techs already working on the next version? Is that why about 20% of the beta pool hasn't gotten upgraded, yet? Any idea as to why the painfully slow rollout for some of us?

Only speculation. Perhaps a bug you really don't want to propagate but it's not critical enough to pull what was already sent out - i.e. no turn signal on highway merge. Something normally correctable in a couple of days but they let a couple key engineers take a week off with the push, so we wait.

OR, maybe just SNAFU.🤔

Reactions: JMc2018M3
Same here - I’m in the 20% still on 10.69.25.2. I first entered the beta program during the safety score days when it expanding to Canada and opened to 100,000 testers. Mine is a 2018 RWD Long range 3. Our newer model 3 got the update April 1. It’s looking increasingly like we’ll need to wait for 11.3.6. Another strange thing was that many 11.3.3 didn’t move to 11.3.4 yet. Is there some kind of A/B testing going on? Is Tesla gathering data to show NHSTA the “recall” fix worked? I have no idea.

Same here - I’m in the 20% still on 10.69.25.2. I first entered the beta program during the safety score days when it expanding to Canada and opened to 100,000 testers. Mine is a 2018 RWD Long range 3. Our newer model 3 got the update April 1. It’s looking increasingly like we’ll need to wait for 11.3.6. Another strange thing was that many 11.3.3 didn’t move to 11.3.4 yet. Is there some kind of A/B testing going on? Is Tesla gathering data to show NHSTA the “recall” fix worked? I have no idea.
Yes, I got 11.3.3 but haven't been moved to 11.3.4

I believe 11.3.5 is only for cars without USS but I'm not 100% on that.

Reactions: 4point9
Yes, I got 11.3.3 but haven't been moved to 11.3.4

I believe 11.3.5 is only for cars without USS but I'm not 100% on that.
lots of older VINs in the list, so definitely not just the non-USS cars ;)
When they have various versions out like this they're usually comparing results between versions.
It may be that 11.3.5 is for cars that have been seeing the same issue with previous builds. They have done this before.

Reactions: 4point9
Maybe this weekend there'll be another push to the last 20%. We have one model 3 still on 10.69.25.2 and one on 11.3.4. Overall the 11.3.4 drives the car better, but with some regressions - especially merging onto the highway where it waits until the last second and doesn't signal in many cases. I wish we had the highway merge behaviour of the v10 with everything else from v11. But the biggest benefit I see is that v11 is using all neural networks where as v10 was still a lot of if/then/else coding for the decision making. Both used NN's for the surround video and perception - which has always seemed pretty good. Problems have been in the decision making. So now with decision making moved to NN's hopefully with more and more training sets, it can soon perform beyond the v10 if/then decision making. If we don't get v11 this weekend - at least it looks like there's a starship test flight planned to watch :)

It appears the current trickle of 11.3.4 installs is simply coming from the pending pool. There hasn't been an increase in the total installed AND pending number of 11.3.4 since around Sunday morning so clearly they stopped the rollout for some reason. Of course, what that reason is, what will be coming next, and when that next thing will hit the ~17% of users still on 10.69.X is unknowable. Any speculation is simply that - speculation - and probably is partially biased by motives that we would assign to conventional car (or software) manufacturers, like concern for customer expectations, perceptions, or fairness, that clearly are not things Tesla has ever been concerned with (at least not the FSD team).

With recent underwhelming v11.3.x nuances, hopefully the v11.3.x path is dead for good. At some point they need to lock the current best v11.3.x software for a roll into the next revision's (v11.4) build with the reported new NN design etc. The sooner they do that the better as far as I'm concerned.

The rollout of FSD beta was halted around Feb 15th due to a NHTSA recall. It resumed recently after Tesla had "fixed" all the problems NHTSA wanted fixed. If NHTSA is still not satisfied then Tesla is legally obligated to once again halt the FSD beta rollout until the problems are fixed for real.

Since Tesla delivered a series of bug fix releases, I imagine this is what's going on.

Except that they haven't for a good portion of those affected.
Looks like something like 80% of FSD cars are on some version of 11.x
In the past there has been a chunk of cars with older releases regardless of FSD or not.

I posted something similar in another thread but if you look at the non-fsd cars you can see a similar pattern there and similar percentages.
For instance, there are 25% of cars not on current non-fsd release, just like there are 20-21% FSD cars on an older release.
So its not that anything special is happening to the FSD cars, just how complex rollouts happen with Tesla.

Not the word I would have chosen. Bottom line - recall remains open due to Tesla's actions or lack thereof.
maybe it underplays it somewhat ;)
One thing I couldn't understand initially was why the number of cars being offered an update didn't take it.
For example, on TeslaFi there are (currently) 163 cars on 10.69.25.1 - but at the same time there are 182 cars that have been offered 11.3.4 that haven't taken it yet. There are even 39 that have yet to install the 10.69.25.2 they've been offered.
All of those cars are ones that Tesla have taken the action already, but the owners have chosen to do nothing about it.

I remember ages ago I did the beermat math to figure out how many real cars a single TeslaFi car represented, but either way, theres a whole bunch of folks are don't install updates when offered or wait a really long time, some have been outstanding for 12 months or more for some update versions. :rolleyes:

The rollout of FSD beta was halted around Feb 15th due to a NHTSA recall. It resumed recently after Tesla had "fixed" all the problems NHTSA wanted fixed. If NHTSA is still not satisfied then Tesla is legally obligated to once again halt the FSD beta rollout until the problems are fixed for real.

Since Tesla delivered a series of bug fix releases, I imagine this is what's going on.
This could be it. I wonder if the 20% on 10.69.x are the “control” group for NHTSA and 11.3.x cars performance is being evaluated against it at the same time of season, same geographic areas. For example - my M3 is on 10.69.25.2 but our other 3 is on 11.3.4. We have nearly the same routes to work - and portions of the street that drop to a lower speed then back up and lots of lights. My car takes so long to slow for the speed limit change and catches red half way through intersections on stale yellow lights but the 11.3.4 car does not and slows perfectly for the speed changes. So a real world data set can definitely prove to NHTSA that the “recall” has been effective. Maybe that data set is what regulators are requesting from Tesla?