Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What If Tesla Announces Model 3 Tomorrow, Who Will Order?

Will you get the Model 3?

• I will get the Model 3 because I loved owning the Roadster

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • I will get the Model 3 because I loved owning the Model S

Votes: 75 26.6%
  • I will get the Model 3 because the Model S is way to high to be sensible

Votes: 91 32.3%
  • I will get the Model 3 to support Tesla as a company

Votes: 51 18.1%
  • I won't ge a Model 3 because I love my Model S and don't need another car

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • I won't get the Model 3 for another reason (state reason in post)

Votes: 22 7.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll get the Model 3, because my Model S will be getting old by the time it appears. Also I'd actually prefer a slightly smaller car.

I love my Model S, but will want the newer technology of the Model 3 when it arrives. In truth, the MS is bigger than I need or want. The Model 3 should be 'just right' if it is 20% smaller than my current car. I plan to have the Model 3 tricked out with every piece of tech available and will get the 400mile battery with a dual motor option (0-60mph in 2.4 seconds).

I'm with these guys. I love my S, but it's slightly larger than I need. I'm also already going to be tempted to upgrade as autopilot features roll out, but I'm hopeful I can hold out for the Model 3 and see what functionality/options it offers. With the decreased base cost, I may wind up loading up a little more on options with the 3.

Then again, if Lyft/Uber can launch in St Louis, I might just reverse course completely and get an X for the additional passenger capacity. :)

I'm with these guys. I love my S, but it's slightly larger than I need. I'm also already going to be tempted to upgrade as autopilot features roll out, but I'm hopeful I can hold out for the Model 3 and see what functionality/options it offers. With the decreased base cost, I may wind up loading up a little more on options with the 3.

I'm surprised how many people like large cars, and the Model S is certainly large. Even cars like the Holden Commodorre and Subaru Liberty I find too large for my liking - they feel like they occupy the entire lane with no margin for error, and don't feel as nimble around corners. I like the feel of smaller cars, and hope the Model 3 checks this box.

Back in 2010 I was tired of waiting for a plugin car, LEAF didn't look practical for my needs (especially with very little initial charging infrastructure), and the Volt specifications seemed like the perfect interim stepping stone. By the time the model 3 comes out I will have 7-8 years and close to 200,000 miles on my Volt. Model 3 should be an ideal upgrade. Model S is little larger than I need and I'm willing to wait for a somewhat less expensive model. I plan to get the bigger battery pack that I assume will give me a range comparable to an S85. I'd also like to help Tesla succeed and want usable long-distance DC charging facilities.

I couldn't place my order quick enough. The moment that it's available to order and I have a computer or phone with me. It's a done deal.

I chose the second option as the closest to the answer I really wanted. (There really should have been a "I will get the Model 3 -- other reason" option.) Like many others here, the S that is currently "in transit" to me from the factory is bigger than the car I actually wanted -- it's replacing an A6 that is also the biggest car I had ever owned to date, and that I had fully expected to downsize from. Instead I'm going the other way, because of all the good reasons to own an S. But if Tesla gave me a smaller option with the same mojo, I'd be on that like white on rice.

Given that I don't even have my S yet, it's too soon to talk about replacing it with a 3 even if it does turn out to have a better form factor. But it's not at all too soon to talk about replacing my wife's ICE car. There is zero, no, nada, nil chance of her ever being willing to have a car as big as the S as her daily driver, so a smaller car is a requirement there (ideal form factor: VW Golf). So is range -- for our second-car needs, the range offered by the current crop of non-Tesla BEVs is just a little short of what's needed (basically, 80 miles of realistic snow belt winter driving range). A Model 3 (to the extent one can tell about a car that we haven't even seen a concept for, much less a production vehicle) sounds like it would be a great fit for her, and that's probably how we'd introduce it to our garage, to make us into a two-Tesla family. We're committed to getting a BEV or at least PHEV whenever we do replace the ICE, to the extent that her spot in the garage is already wired for charging (long story short, last year the local utility had an EV charging program that allowed me to install a J1772 EVSE in her spot for very little incremental cost over just putting the NEMA 14-50 on my side). So now we're just waiting for a compelling product and nursing the ICE along in the mean time.

I will only get one if supercharging is available and it's less than a used Model S at the time. Given Tesla's price and schedule creep, I highly doubt it will be available until the Model S used prices are below a new Model 3.

I will only get one if supercharging is available
Predicting the future is dicy of course, but it's hard for me to imagine shipping a Model 3 that can't be enabled for Supercharging. Tesla has sunk a whole lot of capital into building out the Supercharging network. Why on earth would they not want to leverage that advantage? It would be crazy, and whatever they are, they aren't crazy.

Now, making Supercharging a separate line item that you have to pay another $2000 (or whatever) for, as you do with the S60, I think would be perfectly rational and OK. I probably wouldn't buy it (see my earlier post, for me the Model 3 would be a second car for local use, so why pay for something I wouldn't use? And after all if I turned out to be wrong and wanted it later I could always pay to enable it later). You probably would buy it. Making it an option would let Tesla price the base Model 3 as low as possible.

Of course, the psychology of pricing and feature-bundling is an art, so who knows if they'll actually make it an option. Maybe they'll decide to include it standard for whatever reason. But I would be shocked if it weren't available one way or the other.

I doubt when the 3 is announced we can actually "order" it. I'm sure it will be booking - and I fully intend to book. But that doesn't mean much since I had a booking for S (which I've transferred to X - which I'll transfer to 3).

I had my first test drive of a MS P85 last night (8 May 2015), which felt a bit too big to me. I think the Model 3 would be just right.
After drive, hopped back into my Merc C class, and it felt decidedly SMALL ! (BTW, I've owned 2 x C Class, 1 x B class, and 5 x BMW 3 Series) and have no brand loyalty now Tesla has come along.
The MS had the quality 'solid' feel of a Merc, with the sportiness of a BMW M3, but was certainly not perfect. Things I noticed...
MS was missing a SPEED LIMITER (not the same as cruise control, but works on the same stalk.
The MS stalks on the left of the steering column are REVERSED compared to the Mercs they are taken from.
Getting out of the passenger seat: There was no grab handle above the door. (Surprised this was missing).
The speed sign recognition was hopeless. It missed at least 3 x 'normal' 60 kph signs, and 4 x 'LED' 100 Kph signs on the freeway.
BTW, the test drive was in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Hopefully some of these foibles will be cured by the time the Model 3 is released.

Cheers, Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you guys need to see design first? You know what the Model S looks like and you know what the Model X looks like. The Model 3 won't be radically different from either of those. Tesla will get my deposit the day they start taking deposits for Model 3.

Actually, Elon has been quoted as saying it will NOT look like either the S or the X.
GH

The MS stalks on the left of the steering column are REVERSED compared to the Mercs they are taken from.

The speed sign recognition was hopeless. It missed at least 3 x 'normal' 60 kph signs, and 4 x 'LED' 100 Kph signs on the freeway.

The stalks were the same, but recently (September-ish?) changed based on (I believe) customer feedback.

It was probably looking at the right side of the road for the signs and all it saw was the back of the signs. haha.

I would consider purchasing a Model 3 with AWD, but my first choice will be to acquire a used Model X because its larger size would be nicer for our family.

Also, if a used Tesla vehicle with AWD already has a bit of cosmetic damage, so much the better! (We park outdoors under pine and cedar trees that constantly leave little droplets of sap on our LEAF; thankfully, the LEAF is a cheap enough car that I don't really care so much.)

You can get rid of the sap easily using an ice cube & your fingernail.
GH

While there are lots of cool new features available in recently-released Tesla Model S cars, the sum of which makes it a constant temptation to upgrade my 2013-era Model S, the thing that is holding me back from selling my old S and getting a new one is not the X or the Model 3, but increased range. When there's 350+mi range, I'll upgrade. I want range. Nothing else tops range, even the most futuristic amazing sizzling Model 3, even if it released tomorrow. If it doesn't top the range I get now, meh.

The stalks were the same, but recently (September-ish?) changed based on (I believe) customer feedback.
Ah Ha, so there is a logical reason...

It was probably looking at the right side of the road for the signs and all it saw was the back of the signs. haha.
Very funny/clever, but not the case this time. The 60 kph zone was 5 lanes wide, and had 60 kph signs on both the left and the right.
The 100 kph signs on the freeway were only on the left, AND they were LED's, not reflective, so that is probably the reason it didn't detect them - however, if this is the case, it is a problem that should be fixed. I've driven a Merc GLK on an Autobahn in Germany with overhead LED speed signs, and it had no problem reading them.
The Tesla employee said he would report the issue, but also said the current speed is also detected from Google Maps. This may or may not be accurate for Australia?

Regards, Greg.

I had my first test drive of a MS P85 last night (8 May 2015), which felt a bit too big to me. [...] Things I noticed...

Model S is using EyeQ3 SoC from Mobileye for Autopilot features such as Traffic Sign Recognition. Mobileye has said that it currently recognizes 250 signs in 50 countries. By the end of the year, it is supposed to be 1000 signs in 100 countries. (Also, traffic lights will be added at some point this year.) See this video for more info.

Like many others I will be stalking the site as soon as any hint is given that reservations are possible.
Getting a reservation doesn't mean you are compelled to order - but Tesla would have to really mess it up for it not to be worth ordering.
Given their history for taking care of owners its not a big deal.
Would love to get an S, but its just too much car.