Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is best financing rate now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No ... I got that. I just don't see a huge advantage (imo).
Well you're certainly not wrong about that. The advantage of an unsecured vs. secured loan really depends on each person's situation. I like several others here find that it's one less major shenanigan to deal between Tesla and the bank (e.g. Tesla, Where's my serialized MVPA? or Banker, When was my cashier's check sent to Tesla?, etc.)

Ya simply walk in as a cash buy paid in full on delivery day. Easy as pie.

Well you're certainly not wrong about that. The advantage of an unsecured vs. secured loan really depends on each person's situation. I like several others here find that it's one less major shenanigan to deal between Tesla and the bank (e.g. Tesla, Where's my serialized MVPA? or Banker, When was my cashier's check sent to Tesla?, etc.)

Yep. Exactly. I just don't like hassle. If I had it my way I would do everything online and only have to put on pants when they deliver the car to my door :p

No ... I got that. I just don't see a huge advantage (imo).

It's so much simpler to complete the process, since you don't have to do any paperwork with Tesla to get the lender on the lien, or as loss payee for insurance. There was a ton of paperwork left to do to complete the loan with my CU, and basically nothing with Lightstream - just statement of income/assets and a credit pull.

It's so much simpler to complete the process, since you don't have to do any paperwork with Tesla to get the lender on the lien, or as loss payee for insurance. There was a ton of paperwork left to do to complete the loan with my CU, and basically nothing with Lightstream - just statement of income/assets and a credit pull.

Wasn't a ton of paperwork with the CU either. They just wanted my SS#

For PFCU, it was my SS#, DL and last couple paystubs. I guess it’d be the same with LS as well. I haven’t gotten the car yet so there may be some papers to sign and send to CU. They will mail the cashier’s check to Tesla, so I don’t have to deal with much at the time of delivery.

I did my financing with Allegacy and they were an absolute delight to work with. After the great experience I was receiving, I didn’t want to beat with LightStream to save a few dollars. From my perspective, Allegacy is a solid choice.

Ditto.

Their customer service so far has been competent and excellent- the exact opposite of Teslas delivery folks

Has anyone gotten LightStream to Rate Beat the Tesla-provided financing? Tesla approved me through US Bank, LightStream approved me for unsecured loan as well, but at higher rate. My timeline has been very short, car was ready less than a week after I ordered, so I haven't been able to get any others approved and worked out.

Just not sure what LightStream will take accept, I sent the screenshot of my Tesla account page showing the approved loan, will that do it? Can someone at Tesla send me something better?

Also, everything seems to say that LightStream will have money in my account by Tuesday since I'm approved today, does that match everyone else's experiences?

I get that secured v unsecured may not matter to everyone...but an unsecured loan has several advantages and very few if any disadvantages. Unsecured loans offer protection, financial flexibility, and generally convenience.

Protection: nobody can repossess your car should you fall on hard times; they can come after you for money but you'll be able to drive to work/job interview
Flexibility: let's say you do fall on hard times, you could sell your car and use the proceeds to continue paying your bills -- you wouldn't have to immediately turn over the bulk of the money to the bank that really owns the car
Convenience: since you own the car, selling it is easier...no hassle re: mailing title and all that jazz...and buying the car is arguably easier too since you are a 'cash' buyer

Anyway, I completely get that many people wouldn't care one whit about any of these so called advantages...but I always plan for catastrophe so I'd pick unsecured debt over secured debt every time.

Lastly, fwiw, apparently not every light stream auto loan is unsecured...they just approved my loan but it is a secured loan. I already have a hefty unsecured (pool) loan from Lightstream so I'm guessing they didn't want to double up on the risk there but thought it was worth pointing out that even if you apply, you may not get an unsecured loan.