Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
another guess might be "A range extender". Adding water(distilled) in a tank which was placed in frunk/trunk and show how that increases charge/range in dashboard(thru metal-air battery) in minutes.

that would be my guess too based on this patent Tesla Motors filed http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20130015823.pdf

Given the high energy density and the large capacity-to-weight ratio offered by metal-air cells, they are well suited for use in electric vehicles, either as a stand-alone electrical power source or in conjunction with one or more other power sources, for example, a lithium ion battery pack...Battery pack, comprised of metal-air cells, provides electrical power to motor. While the invention may be used with vehicles that utilize both a metal-air battery pack and at least one other battery pack, e.g., a lithium-ion battery pack, secondary battery packs are not shown in the illustrations. Additionally it should be understood that a vehicle may utilize multiple metal-air battery packs, for example to distribute the weight throughout the vehicle.

Can you explain this a little more? I am utterly baffled by what you are talking about...

Basically, it's a non-user rechargeable battery (or set of battery modules for ease of installation) that will fit in the square opening of the frunk. When you need more range than the normal battery can give, the modules (delivered by UPS) can be hot plugged and will add an extra 100 (or more) miles. After you drain the battery, you send it back.

Basically, it's a non-user rechargeable battery (or set of battery modules for ease of installation) that will fit in the square opening of the frunk. When you need more range than the normal battery can give, the modules (delivered by UPS) can be hot plugged and will add an extra 100 (or more) miles. After you drain the battery, you send it back.

Why UPS as opposed to say picking them up at Chevron? Or how you get Blue Rhino Propane today?

Why UPS as opposed to say picking them up at Chevron? Or how you get Blue Rhino Propane today?

UPS delivers to your home, Chevron doesn't. Also because batteries lose charge over time, how long has that battery been sitting at the Chevron station?

I should mention I've never purchased propane as I don't do any welding.

SORRY I can't read all 59 pages of this thread and I am sure this has been mentioned but my bet is something to do with voice command, can't think what as sound and nav respond, but improved or extended system voice control would be pretty cool and thats right under your NOSE.

SORRY I can't read all 59 pages of this thread.

See the following post.

It's a 1 page summary of all of the hints from Elon & co. to date regarding this:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17416-June-20th-Speculation/page4?p=353044#post353044

I'm not sure you can make a case for voice command given those, but go for it :). Nobody has been able to make a case that satisfy all of that using any theory.

- - - Updated - - -

UPS delivers to your home, Chevron doesn't.

Except that when you're on a road trip, where you'd need the charge, you're not going to be home...

Also because batteries lose charge over time, how long has that battery been sitting at the Chevron station?

I don't believe the Al-Air reaction start until you add water to it.

Basically, it's a non-user rechargeable battery (or set of battery modules for ease of installation) that will fit in the square opening of the frunk.

Tesla has developed the cooler drawer to fit in there (see various threads); I very much doubt they developed two ideas to fit in the same space.

P.S. I've seen a Model S completely opened up and there's no existing connections for anything remotely resembling a frunk battery.

Tesla has developed the cooler drawer to fit in there (see various threads); I very much doubt they developed two ideas to fit in the same space.

P.S. I've seen a Model S completely opened up and there's no existing connections for anything remotely resembling a frunk battery.

There are also no quick release clips for the Li-Ion battery, nor wiring to charge at improved rate.

I actually tested this morning whether the right-hand-side light would maybe open for a second charge port, and it's maybe just software limited to left-side right now. Alas, there is no magnet behind it like there is on the left.

Concerning "under your nose" and such, I had an odd conversation with the staff at my local showroom. They had a new model S chassis in, which I had never seen before so I studied it quite a bit, asking what each mechanical thing did (it had the compressor, pneumatic thing for the air suspension etc. Right behind the front axle is an aluminum case with Tesla stamped into it. It is made of fairly lightweight Al, and appeared to have a simple catch holding it in place. I asked what IT was and the guy said it was for holding "extra batteries". My ears picked right up, wondering if he was ill informed or saying something he shouldn't have. He said that for a 60kWh it was empty, but for the 85kWh it was full of extra battery modules. He said that a 60kWh had 14 battery modules and an 85kWh had 16, so for the 85 the 2 extra that "couldn't fit" in the floor area went there. There are tons of things wrong with this statement, so I know its bad info (for one thing the math doesn't work: 14/16 is not close to 60/85. For another, that little box was clearly not a part of the cooling/heating system. A third is that the space is far too small for that many LiIon batteries)

Looking at google images it appears that that little box might just correspond to a little raised area on the front of the battery pack, where cooling and/or power connections go. So it might be a location of a heat exchanger or something mundane like that. But I had to put on my tinfoil conspiracy hat for a second. Either he is really badly informed, or messed up a cover story :) Do you smart folks know what its really for so I can take off the hat?

Picture here, if I can get it to work:
043.JPG

Concerning "under your nose" and such, I had an odd conversation with the staff at my local showroom. They had a new model S chassis in, which I had never seen before so I studied it quite a bit, asking what each mechanical thing did (it had the compressor, pneumatic thing for the air suspension etc. Right behind the front axle is an aluminum case with Tesla stamped into it. It is made of fairly lightweight Al, and appeared to have a simple catch holding it in place. I asked what IT was and the guy said it was for holding "extra batteries". My ears picked right up, wondering if he was ill informed or saying something he shouldn't have. He said that for a 60kWh it was empty, but for the 85kWh it was full of extra battery modules. He said that a 60kWh had 14 battery modules and an 85kWh had 16, so for the 85 the 2 extra that "couldn't fit" in the floor area went there. There are tons of things wrong with this statement, so I know its bad info (for one thing the math doesn't work: 14/16 is not close to 60/85. For another, that little box was clearly not a part of the cooling/heating system. A third is that the space is far too small for that many LiIon batteries)

Looking at google images it appears that that little box might just correspond to a little raised area on the front of the battery pack, where cooling and/or power connections go. So it might be a location of a heat exchanger or something mundane like that. But I had to put on my tinfoil conspiracy hat for a second. Either he is really badly informed, or messed up a cover story :) Do you smart folks know what its really for so I can take off the hat?

Picture here, if I can get it to work:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16417-What-s-hiding-under-the-Frunk

The description is:
1. At the very top, the grey ribbed area is part of the battery pack, a taller part than the rest of it, containing the brains of the battery.

Of course, that might be wrong if they were trying to conceal what it is. Do you know what made the mechanic think it was empty on 60kWh?

He was a sales guy not a mechanic. I don't know why he volunteered that long, detailed, very wrong explanation. I totally believe that its just a cover for the raised part, and the control electronics are in the raised part of the battery under there. Tinfoil hat off....

huh...non-rechargeable batteries in an EV. I don't really want that though I guess there could be some limited situations...nah just drive the wife's gasser.